[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thin, medium or heavy guitar picks? and why? >thinfag here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 51RFIaDiQQL._SY355_.jpg (25 KB, 305x355) Image search: [Google]
51RFIaDiQQL._SY355_.jpg
25 KB, 305x355
thin, medium or heavy guitar picks?

and why?

>thinfag here
>>
Depends on what you're playing.
>>
>>64207104
guitar
>>
Those small thick picks for anything electric. Anything else just slows you down, especially if you're trying to go full Fripp (and failing) like me

For acoustic, thin to medium. Heavy kills the sound

for classic, either grow your nails or just stop
>>
>>64207166
thank you. keep trying, you'll be full Fripp someday.
>>
>>64207225
>implying that is humanly possible
the wigger made guitar playing into some way of life and created a whole meditation system around it fuck
>>
Ive found medium the best all arounder. Thin is just too floppy for heavier attack and medium can hit pinch harmonics well.
>>
>>64207257
What are you talking about, frippertronics?
>>
>>64207349
No, more his insane, ConstruKction-era alternate picking no hammer-on-allowed solos where he would keep the same insane playing speed for some 5 minutes without break
though I'd love to know how to do something like his frippertronics, or rather his later soundscapes
>>
File: download.jpg (3 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3 KB, 287x176
fuckin plebs
>>
small and thick. thin picks are unreliable, thin/medium are good for playing rhythm but that's it.

try a jazz 3. once you get used to it you won't be able to use anything else and normal sized picks will feel like you're holding a spoon
>>
>>64207413
I favor fingerstyle, but you never use a pick?
>>
>>64207154
heh
>>
File: Picks1.jpg (500 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Picks1.jpg
500 KB, 1600x1200
heavy
more control and better for picking out individual strings.
also thin picks tend to have a thin sound to my ears.

>>64207413
I Travis Pick acoustic but prefer a pick for electric.
I have messed around with these things but never really got the hang of them
>>
Rhythm? Thin
Lead? Medium-Heavy. Like .60 or .72 mm.
Combo of both? I usually "choke up" on a thin.
>>
Dunlop Jazz III's 4 lyfe, niggaz
>>
use a penny
>>
2 mm because I play the bass
>>
I'm more of a fan of those big triangular picks, because I have huge hands and they fit mine better than normal sized ones.
As to thickness, I prefer around 1.5mm for these picks and medium ones if I'm using normal ones
>>
>>64207413
This for acoustic, but I use picks for electric.

I have both thin and thick picks, though I prefer thin ones like .60 for rhythm.
>>
1 mm and 0.6mm
>>
Thick because I'm not a faggot
>>
>>64208524
I have a Fender medium pick like that, I call it the Dorito
>>
bassfag here. triangular .80mm clayton picks of choice.
>>
>>64207091

I usually fold paper and use that as a guitar pick. Provides the twangy sound I like
>>
File: pick.jpg (288 KB, 1000x561) Image search: [Google]
pick.jpg
288 KB, 1000x561
3.5mm
>>
Anywhere between 1 and 1.5 mm is good. Less than 1 is floppy, over 1.5 is cumbersome.

Personally I hate the feel of nylon picks and the way the edges wear down. Tortex is the best material
>>
>>64207091
play with medium for a week and you will not want to go back to thin
>>
>>64208284
this, real nigga picks, red coz i'm str8 crippin.
>>
>>64208298
Kill urself my man
>>
I have a wooden guitar pick made of ebony wood
it's kinda bulky and shitty but my grandfather made it for me so I use it anyway
>>
>>64208284
this 2bh
>>
>>64207091
Thick(heavy) I like the feel that they give when plucking strings
>>
I feel uncomfortable with anything lighter than 0.75.
>>
I quite like the Dunlop Nylon Standard 1mm picks, thick enough for shifting between intricate picking and grinding power chords, imo.
>>
>>64207413
Yes. Fingerstyle master race.
>>
>>64210764
You using those Ernie Ball Rebar 1000s?
>>
mid because wen u dont know nothing about pics thats what u buy
>>
Thin for acoustic because I like the strumming sound and I can go hard without making things buzz and bang.

Usually medium for electric since I use fairly thin strings. If I'm using thicker ones I'll use a heavy for fast stuff.
>>
File: 4L_MW0XmhF2.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_MW0XmhF2.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Right tool for the right job.

I've been making my own from wood lately, still experimenting with different thicknesses.
>>
>>64213024
What drum machine is that?
>>
Jazz picks or this one brand of 2.5mm picks that I forget the name of. Small but heavy picks are the best for me.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.