[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of REM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: r-e-m-reckoning.jpg (473 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
r-e-m-reckoning.jpg
473 KB, 953x953
What does /mu/ think of REM?
>>
favorite band ever
>>
>>64195303
Same here
Reckoning seems to be the album of choice here but nothing tops murmur for me
>>
should've disbanded after that album it was all downhill from there
>>
>>64195404
For me it's Automatic and Murmur. Best albums of each era. Their late 80s/early 90s output is severely underrated around here.
>>
I like all their albums up through Monster. After that, their material took a nosedive in quality.
>>
One of the biggest acts of the 80s, got plenty of radio play for their singles, yet somehow people believe they were an underground hipster band until AFTP.
>>
Obnoxious liberal douches.
>>
Eh...
>>
>>64195501
I'd mostly agree, but how do you not like New Adventures in Hi-Fi? It has like the best elements of their 90s sound. Probably the best after AFTP, although I genuinely love OoT.

Should've disbanded after Berry left, it's really that simple. Still one of the greats, though.
>>
The U2 of the 80s
>>
Good shit senpai. I like their poppier stuff, but nothing tops their first 3 releases imo. Chronic Town is dope af and not enough people are familiar with it
>>
>>64196935
Gardening at Night is a stronger contender for best song desu

And I say this as a guy who vehemently defends Monster
>>
They were ok in a college dorm in the 80s or at a big outdoor festival. Other than that...
>>
>>64196979
>millennial spotted
>>
My dad always tells me that seeing Oasis and REM at Slane Castle was the best concert he'd ever been too.
>>
>>64196876
nigga U2 is the U2 of the 80s
>>
File: r_e_m_-around-the-sun-cover.jpg (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
r_e_m_-around-the-sun-cover.jpg
38 KB, 400x400
Unpopular opinion alert: Pic related is actually a good, 7/10 album. Not their best, but far from their worst.
>>
File: peteandpete_michaelstipe.jpg (79 KB, 550x416) Image search: [Google]
peteandpete_michaelstipe.jpg
79 KB, 550x416
The first dance at my wedding was to At My Most Beautiful.

I fucking love R.E.M.
>>
>>64197026
>Oasis
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>64197545
>le montie hate meme
>le beatles ripoff
>le wonderwall

Jog on cunt
>>
>>64197026
>My dad always tells me
Fuck I feel old right now.
>>
>>64197224
>Unpopular opinion alert: Pic related is actually a good, 7/10 album.
I can deal with this. I wouldn't rate it that high, but it's not that bad.

>Not their best, but far from their worst.
This is biting off a little more than it can chew. Unless you were gonna say Collapse Into Now or maybe Reveal it is without a doubt their worst album.

>>64197286
That's beautiful anon. Great song.
>>
>>64195404
>>64195451
Same.
Fucking love murmur. It's just so good.

One of my top 20 albums easily.
>>
>>64197019
Or le born in the rong generashuner from Youtube.
>>
File: Feel_Time.jpg (117 KB, 500x439) Image search: [Google]
Feel_Time.jpg
117 KB, 500x439
I'll admit, that while I was aware of them before, when In Time came out when I was 17, it quickly became my favorite album and defined my last summer before college.

I know it's a glorified, wankified "band-curated' best-of album, but it felt like an LP the way they put it together, and honestly began my love of the band, and pushed me to explore deeper.

For that reason, even though it's not a real LP, it's still my favorite album by R.E.M.

If I put on any song featured on that album, I'm instantly transported back to driving on the Ocean Parkway in my shitty 95' Corolla after work.
>>
>>64197697
Since when do le born in the rong generashuners on Youtube listen to REM? You only see them on AC/DC or Metallica vids.
>>
Supposedly AFTP was the last thing Kurt Cobain ever listened to (they found it in the CD player next to his body).
>>
>>64197761
I could see that.
>>
>>64197730
It's a good album anon. It's also the only album with The Great Beyond on it, I think. That song is pure nostalgia.
>>
>>64197742
>12 year olds on Youtube like music designed for 12 year olds

Shock.
>>
I feel like I have massive sentimental attachment to R.E.M.'s music even though I've only really been into them for about a year and a half. They have that going for them, incredibly intimate and emotional band.

Plus the songs are awesome. So yeah fucking great band they were.
>>
>>64197558
>le beatles ripoff
Oh, they only wish they could have been the Beatles of the 90s.
>>
>>64197026
He's probably right they were the best show I've ever been to as well.
>>
>>64198010
>I feel like I have massive sentimental attachment to R.E.M.'s music even though I've only really been into them for about a year and a half. They have that going for them, incredibly intimate and emotional band.

There is some etherial quality to their music that hits a nostalgic center in the human brain. It doesn't matter how long you've been a fan, listening to a song of theirs you love brings you back to a magical time in your "past".
>>
>>64198022
There was a brief moment though, were they arguably were the biggest band around
>>
>>64197893
Good point. You're supposed to stop listening to AC/DC and Metallica after at most 14.
>>
>>64198065
Thankfully not in America.
>>
>>64198184
I mean in 1996, Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova were everywhere and Oasis were playing 20k capacity stadiums in the US.
>>
>>64198064
Yeah it's weird. I heard their songs on a best-of compilation while in a dark place and I enjoyed them, and now listening to them it brings me hope and makes me feel nostalgic for my past. I love em to bits honestly.
>>
Go Let It Out was a good one but I don't think it charted in the states.
>>
File: Photo Sep 27, 12 15 30 PM.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Photo Sep 27, 12 15 30 PM.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
They hail from one of the greatest cities in the nation.

GO DAWGS
>>
>>64198414
It charted on the alternative radio airplay charts I think, but nowhere else.

Though by that point, with Oasis 5 years removed from wonderwall, Liam's voice shit, the rest of the original band members having quit, America didn't give a shit about them anymore.

>>64198484
UGA is filled with so many awful Buckhead frat bros.
>>
>>64198414
I think only Europeans could really relate to that song.
>>
REM were just the 80s equivalent of Joni Mitchell or those other 60s-70s singer-songwriters who appealed to alienated college students.
>>
File: IMG_0586.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0586.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>64198512
>UGA is filled with so many awful Buckhead frat bros.
it is, but theres a big music scene and less mainstream side of Athens too. The GA theater is an awesome venue.
>>
>>64198212
>Champagne Supernova
That has to be one of the worst songs I ever heard and even worse it drags on for over 7 minutes.
>>
>>64195662
I think people forget how big REM were back then because 80s nostalgiafests/documentaries/VH1 countdowns lead you to believe all of music back then was Michael Jackson, Madonna, and hairspray rock.
>>
>>64198065
>>64198184
You Americans are lucky that Oasis were only popular for about 2-1/2 years there and more a curiosity than anything because over here you were literally bludgeoned to death with them. I grew up being subjected to their trashy chav behaviour, shittalking any and all other artists, nonsense lyrics, and bland rip-off instruments. Also worse how people my age tend to think they were the best fucking band in all of history right up there with the Beatles, Kinks, Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, The Clash, and Iron Maiden all of whom they aren't fit to be roadies for.
>>
>>64199022
>Iron Maiden
heh
>>
The movie Man on the Moon only deepened my appreciation for R.E.M. What a great fucking song and a great fucking movie.
>>
*mumbles*
>>
>>64199022
>iron maiden
This site is for 18 and over kido
>>
>>64200031
Heck, if you listen to metal past 14 you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>64197224
Which would you say is the worst? I'd say AtS, but it's still a 6/10 for me. If nothing else it's pretty different from their other stuff.
>>
>>64202734
Not him, but I have huge nostalgia for AtS first album I got bought, and went to see them on the tour for it when I was about 8 (I think) and it was also the first ever concert I saw.

Got back into REM about a month ago after the Jesse Lacey/Kevin Devine Split, they were playing what used to be my two favourite songs as a kid: Bad Day, and Imitation of Life. I can only really vibe with Automatic For The People at the moment.
>>
>>64195287
80's output is superb
>>
>>64198582
>The GA theater is an awesome venue.
This nigga knows what's up.
>>
File: Lifes Rich Pageant.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Lifes Rich Pageant.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
Their best.

If you disagree you aren't a good person at all
>>
>>64204811
Fables 2bh
>>
>>64204811
I actually agree with this. I'm surprised to see somebody else on /mu/ with the same opinion. Everybody here blows their load for Murmur, which is fine, but Life Rich Pageant is a fucking masterpiece. It's everything that's great about 80's REM.
>>
>>64204886
>fables
Literally the weakest I.R.S. years album. It's a good album, but Everything else from their early years is better.
>>
>>64204786
you from around here? who have you seen at the theater?
>>
>>64204912
Not that anon, but I'd rank Document last. Still has amazing songs, but I find it a bit patchier than the others.

Favourite tends to vary between Pageant and Fables.
>>
File: rehat-1094193949.jpg (769 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
rehat-1094193949.jpg
769 KB, 1600x1200
>>64204811
This was the first album I ever heard from them (and my favorite, as well). It was just one month after I graduated high school when I bought this album from my local record store. It was quite a memorable slow drive home that night.
>>
THATS ME IN THE CORNER
>>
>>64205326
I'm no longer in Athens, but when I went to UGA I saw shit there all the time. Honestly, I couldn't even begin to figure out what all I saw there.
>>
>>64206596
ok cool. yeah ive seen countless shows there. great city.
>>
WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY KENNETH
>>
IT'S A MAN RAY KIND OF SKY
>>
>>64196876
Lol wtf? U2 is an 80s band. If anything, REM wasnt super popular until the 90s.
>>
Is /mu/ a bad enough dude to compile the best IRS years songs into a single album?

Hard mode: resist the urge to start with Begin the Begin and end with It's the End of the World As We Know It.
>>
>>64206977
How many tracks?
>>
>>64208418
12 seems good.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.