[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Liars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: liars-liars-stumm287-560x560.jpg (55 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
liars-liars-stumm287-560x560.jpg
55 KB, 560x560
I just want to talk about Liars.

They seem to be one of the best respected experimental rock groups that is mildly popular.
>>
>>64172723
I don't trust em.
>>
>>64172920
Does listening to this give you more faith in them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr8qHPeAWxo
>>
>>64172723

wait, Liars are respected and known? I got their album wayyyyyyyyy back in the early 2000's when they drifted off the Yeah Yeah Yeah's into hipster success.

I have lost that CD since, but it had a really cool song where it was like, "LAST NIGHT YOU AND I GATHERED BERRIES WITH A FLASHLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT"

I'll be damned.
>>
>>64172723
Fucking love em
>>
>>64172723
I've only listened to this album and Mess. Where do I go from there?
>>
>>64173283
Drums not dead is their best, super percussive and the last track is goat, but don't skip ahead to listen to it, you need context
>>
>>64173141
>wait, Liars are respected and known?
Respected more than known.

I like them a lot. If you have only heard their first dancepunk album you should check out the other stuff they've done sense. Constant experimentations.

I'll give you a quick guide though

>(2001) They Threw Us All In A Trench And Stuck A Monument On Top
The dancepunk album with a 30 minute song tacked on side B

>(2004) They Were Wrong, So We Drowned
An anti-art album meticulously designed to piss off everyone that liked their first album. Rolling stone notoriously gave it their lowest possible rating considering it "unlistenable".

>(2006) Drum's Not Dead
Largely experiemental conceptual album that oscillates between abrasive percussion driven tracks and ambient drone tracks all with relatively creepy vocals overtop.

>(2007) Liars
Noise-pop/post-punk tribute album. Lots of shoegaze influence. One of their most accessible

>(2010) Sisterworld
Extremely creepy, I've been told. It is their poorest reviewed record. I haven't listened to this one myself though.

>(2012) WIXIW
Minimal Dark Syth. Some really cool stuff on this one. Their first mostly electronic album.

>(2014) Mess
It's like Noise EDM, kind of. A little hard to describe. They seem to have made an attempt to make some danceable tracks here but with enough strange touches on top of it to make dancing to it "unsettling"

I just find them fascinating. I have no idea where they'll go next. They could go back to analog recording or even deeper into electronica. Fuck knows but they're one of the few bands I'm excited to hear every time they come out with something new.
>>
>>64173439
>An anti-art album meticulously designed to piss off everyone that liked their first album.
Fucking based.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dRoab8zZ8c

first song i heard by them. was surprised to hear how different each of their albums are.
>>
WIXIW > Drum's Not Dead > Sisterworld > They Were Wrong > They Threw Us All In A Trench >> Mess > s/t
>>
>>64173439
Picked up a copy of WIXIW just the other day. I dig Sisterworld, I feel it's the logical end of Liars as a rock band. Liars is a great band and they keep getting more consistent with their age while keeping the sound fresh.
>>
>>64172723
Oh hey i was just listening to them

They're impressive in the fact that they've changed so much each album but all have their albums have been pretty solid. From going to punk to whatever Mess was.

Drums not Dead > Mess > the others, idk the order
>>
>>64173439
>The dancepunk album with a 30 minute song tacked on side B
How is it? I keep wanting to listen to it and I really dig the first song but the 30 minute one is really really off-putting
>>
>>64174365
you are suppose to turn it off at that point.
>>
>>64174365
It's actually pretty good. It's this really long jam with an aggressive baseline. It basically serves as what should have been a red flag to all of the hipsters that thought this was just a slightly edgier version of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
>>
>>64174430
addendum to this, Make sure you actually like longform jams first before listening to it. If you don't have patience for stuff like Can then you aren't going to like it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.