[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a "Kim Gordon sings lead vocals" episode
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1416956701719.jpg (55 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1416956701719.jpg
55 KB, 380x380
>it's a "Kim Gordon sings lead vocals" episode
>>
haha
>>
>it's a written by Tina Weymouth song
>>
Her vocals in every album til Good is good tho
>>
>>64164911
>Goo

Fixed
>>
without kim gordon sonic youth would have been shit
>>
> are you gonna liberate us girls from male white corporate oppression?

TFW feminists in your 1990 album
>>
>>64166637
Really? What makes you think so?

Having read Goodbye XXth Century, I personally haven't found any reasons which made Kim Gordon indispensable to Sonic Youth's music. IIRC it's hinted in the book that her bass playing wasn't really good.

Moreover, she once demanded to play guitar instead of bass. The rest of SY had to give her a guitar and tune it way down/fiddle with the sound to make it sound like a bass. That was also the time when she started her other projects.

She herself said she wasn't a musician. Her voice and bass playing were average at best. Unless you're a "progressive" leftist, her message is of little value too.
>>
>>64166884
Yeah, but she was also a part of something different. Just cause she's not the best doesn't mean that she didn't contribute whatsoever to sonic youth.
>>
>>64164587
>it's a /tv/ crosspost

fuck off, lowest form of art
>>
yeah - Kim's pretty bad

what are your favorite songs with Kim on vocal's though, I nominate Shoot and Kool Thing
>>
>>64167022
>Yeah, but she was also a part of something different.
What exactly do you mean? Part of art circles, friend to many artists with whom SY worked at one point or another?
Apart from her connections, she didn't do that much for SY. Unless you count being Thurston's girlfriend and then wife for 20+ years.
Somehow, her mediocre songs always made it to the records. But Lee struggled to fit his more material on albums, which is why he settled on 1 song per album and was about to quit the band for several years.
If anything, I think other people from No-Wave scene who actually had some musical sensibilities would have done a far better job.
>>
>>64166884
It's the attitude and balls she brought to the band. No she isn't a particularly skilled bass player or singer, but she very much impacts massively on the band's material and how it's performed. Sonic Youth were never about virtuoso playing, they always had a punk rock aesthetic and approach to rock and pop music. Kim Gordon was hugely important to where they went and how they did their shit.

Her songs on Daydream Nation are some of the best on the record and the other members could never in a million years bring the sneer to them that she could. Probably an unpopular opinion but fuck it, Kim Gordon wasn't dispensable in any way.
>>
>>64167189
Star Power

But I also liked it when she shouted her lungs out on Dirty, at least this way it was somewhat better
>>
>>64167338
Also to follow this up the best song on Goo is also sung lead by Kim.
>>
>>64167338
I totally agree with you. Besides, her voice is pretty sexy and gives me a hard-on.

Why wouldn't I like a thing that gives me a boner?
>>
>>64167338
Very sensible opinion m8 I agree
>>
>>64167338
>It's the attitude and balls she brought to the band.
Thurston has been known for making raging guitar chaos before he even met Kim. He always was obsessed with punk, I don't think Kim brought it to the band—at least that's the conclusion I've reached after reading the book I mentioned.

Indeed, Riot Grrl artists and some other female artists cite her as influence. But I don't see any proof that she changed the direction where the band was going; it all started with Lee and Thurston, and they were the driving creative force of the band. Shelley was indispensable to provide the "foundation" for all the chaos they created; and Kim was just Kim, jumping on high heels and shouting about rape and oppression. She definitely did add to their overall image, but to musical direction—not so much.
>>
cross the breeze is godly though
>>
>>64167530
Yeah but Kim Gordon's input didn't have shit to do with guitar chaos because she didn't play guitar in the band. The point is her lack of skill as a bassist isn't really a negative as the type of music Sonic Youth were always playing was never going to have complex or intricate basslines that would require somebody with more knowledge of the instrument to play. Kim just playing the bass and shit was all they needed in that regard.

It's her vocals, her attitude how she interpreted the songs she sang, and yeah her lyrics that affect the band's direction. Thurston and Lee could never sing as aggressively as her, and if either of them were to sing a song like Kissability for example, they couldn't have did it like she did.

Anyway why shouldn't she sing about rape or oppression? Why is that a bad thing? I don't know about specifically how good of a lyric writer she was but I've never straight up felt the content and ideals behind her lyrics were bad and I'm kind of confused as to why you would have an issue with that.

At the end of the day she was important to the band and if you took her out and threw somebody else in it would have been different, probably worse.
>>
>>64167795
I agree that if Kim did one thing good, it was aggressive vocals.

However, I don't think that mediocre bass playing can benefit any band unless they're trying to be bad on purpose. Shelley is an excellent drummer, and look how he helped the band. I don't think anyone in their sane mind would say that SY would benefit from a drummer who could barely play.

Also, while Kim's song definitely sound more aggressive, I don't think the more aggressive sound of SY in the early '90s had anything to do with it, if you were talking about it. They were just trying to fit in the punk wave. From mid-'90s they gradually started to sound more mellow.

All in all, while I like the raw anger of her vocals on Dirty, much like I liked Courtney Love's shouting, I still think that her influence didn't spread much further than her own songs.
>>
>>64167189
Tunic (Song for Karen)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.