[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: bigsmilefront300dpisp3.jpg (458 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
bigsmilefront300dpisp3.jpg
458 KB, 1600x1600
is this the pinnacle of music?
>>
No.
>>
no, but Pet Sounds is
>>
>>64160146
Yeah pretty much.
>>
>>64160179
This.
>>
>>64160146

It has it's moments. I think Pet Sounds is better all around, but Smile has some amazing music on it.

I do think Brian Wilson is the closest thing to a "musical genius" we've seen in popular music though, it's a shame he lost the plot
>>
File: image.jpg (347 KB, 985x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
347 KB, 985x1000
pic related > Smile
>>
EGGS AND GRITS AND LICKETY SPLIT
>>
Bricolage by Amon Tobin.
>>
>>64160146
>>64160179
>>64160200
>>64160210
>I listen to only popular music, you could say I am "patrician" *tips*
>>
>>64160146
It's a local high point, but not some absolute pinnacle
>>
>>64160260
nahh, smile isn't quite that bad
>>
>>64160356
Lonerism shits over most modern music
>>
File: cantdealwithit.gif (397 KB, 300x126) Image search: [Google]
cantdealwithit.gif
397 KB, 300x126
Probably not but it's one of the most experimental and best pop records (unfinished or finished) of all time.

>tfw you will never hear Smile for the first time ever again
>>
The Smile Sessions are definitely one of rock music's peaks. It would've made a huge creative splash if it was released on schedule.
>>
why do you guys think Pet Sounds is clearly better? the vast majority of reviews for SMiLE rank it higher, even if it is technically unfinished
>>
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 259x195
>>64160384
Lonerism is Beach Boys distilled for molly-eating millennials.

>mfw when Child is the Father of the Man reprise in Surf's Up
>>
>>64160448
Because muh feels > fun
>>
>>64160434
How is that record rock? It doesn't have rock instruments or typical rock song structures. The lyrics also aren't about drinking alcohol and picking up chicks.
>>
>>64160502
The underage aren't welcome here.
>>
though there are a lot of timeless gems, i feel like wilson was falling too much into van dyke park's circus/showtune music with a lot of the tracks on the album
>>
>>64160520
Cool. A lil off topic tho man you may continue with the debate at hand haha :^)
>>
>>64160448
Because it's a finished product, and is far more consistent.

>>64160489
I don't know man, Pet Sounds is just a lot more entertaining and replayable to me than SMiLE
>>
>>64160470
How is it distilled? Lonerism pulls off things that Radiohead was doing a decade ago, it's improving upon the previous master's work, it's foward thinking. instead of distancing itself from the past it honors it
>>
>>64160542
>Radiohead

We're talking about good music here buddy
>>
>>64160448
Better chords?
>>
>>64160542
Want to know how I know you are 18 or younger?
>>
>>64160502
The Beach Boys are a rock/pop band, the record features guitar, bass, drums and other exotic instruments that add to it as well. I use rock in the broad sense here rather than distilling it to some microgenre like "experimental-psychedelic-art-pop-with-exotic-instruments."

Chuck Berry, The Beatles, Pixies, Soundgarden, etc. those all fall under the rock umbrella.
>>
File: smirk-1024x687.jpg (100 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
smirk-1024x687.jpg
100 KB, 1024x687
>>64160542
oh christ i didn't know you were this young
>>
Lyrics: Smile
Instrumentation: Smile
Vocals: Smile
Flow: Smile (inb4 the short songs are >bad)
Singles: Smile
Album art: Pet Sounds
Range of emotions: Smile
Duration: Smile

I could go on. Smile wins!
>>
>>64160146
i like a couple songs on it (or rather, parts of songs). i also like the almost complete lack of reverb. much clearer sound for the instruments to come through.

the problem i have with it, is even though brian was a genius popsong writer, he couldnt write a multi-themed prog piece like he tried to with this one (see heroes and villains) and have it be interesting.

also there are more than a few times where a song is absolutely perfect (quiet part of cabin essence) and then it just for absolutely no reason, and without development, goes into something totally irrelevant.

i understand this was the start of the cokehead/serious drug addiction years for him, which could explain the overly spontaneous nature of the song forms. but still, if i want to listen to 8 minute rock songs with 4 part vocal harmonies and excellent musicianship, ill just listen to an early 70s yes album.
>>
>>64160649
How can one man be this wrong
>>
Why do poptimists keep forcing this album?
>>
>>64160649
i like SMiLE's album art better
>>
>>64160681
>Working with lyricist Van Dyke Parks, Smile was composed as a multi-thematic concept album, existing today in its unfinished and fragmented state as an unordered series of abstract musical vignettes. Its genesis came during the recording of Pet Sounds, when Wilson began recording a new single: "Good Vibrations". The track was created by an unprecedented recording technique: over 90 hours of tape was recorded, spliced, and reduced into a three-minute pop song. It quickly became the band's biggest international hit yet; Smile was to be produced in a similar fashion. Wilson touted the album "a teenage symphony to God," incorporating a range of music styles including psychedelic, doo-wop, barbershop singing, ragtime, yodeling, early American folk, classical music, and avant-garde explorations into noise and musical acoustics. Its projected singles were "Heroes and Villains", a Western musical comedy, and "Vega-Tables", a satire of physical fitness.

I fail to see how this isn't a million times better than lil cry babbys animal sounds.
>>
File: 123427488834787.png (88 KB, 560x702) Image search: [Google]
123427488834787.png
88 KB, 560x702
ITT: /mu/ shows off it's objectively terrible and uninformed taste in music
>>
>>64160685
What the fuck does this meme even mean
>>
>>64160748
No album reviewed by those outlets is worth any time.
>>
>>64160748
HAHA :D

owned:P
>>
File: RubberSoul.jpg (193 KB, 1220x1220) Image search: [Google]
RubberSoul.jpg
193 KB, 1220x1220
So Pet Sounds was an attempt to surpass pic related, which it obviously did. Would SMiLE have done the same to Sgt. Peppers? Yes or No?
>>
>>64160865
Duh. Sgt. Pepper isn't even THAT good on its own
>>
>>64160875
honestly. Revolver is Beatles best album by a long shot.
>>
File: bbbbrianwilson.jpg (65 KB, 728x800) Image search: [Google]
bbbbrianwilson.jpg
65 KB, 728x800
it's the pinnacle of pop music for sure, I genuinely think it would've been some sort of cultural earthquake had it been released in May 67.

it was basically the great American novel in musical form and it was going to top the charts and sell a million copies and have huge influence in an age of unprecedented cultural change. crazy stuff.
>>
>>64160881
My favorite as well and Abbey Road ain't bad either
>>
>>64160906
too bad it was flammable :(
>>
>>64160906
But heroes and villains flopped the charts? And vega-tables as a second single? Don't think people would "get it"
>>
>>64160146
If it had actually been made instead of cobbled together from scraps it could have been amazing. Songs like Surf's Up and Good Vibrations were actually finished and show how good the album could have been, but most of it is just silly and half-baked.
>>
>>64160786
through your pretension you have stumbled upon the truth.

in this day and age i really dont even know why these types of media outlets are even needed. if something new comes out that is big enough to be reviewed on these sites, there will be a rip or stream of it somewhere. and then you can just listen to it yourself. and if you arent patient enough to listen to something for 30-45 mins to judge it yourself, you probably dont like music very much.
>>
>>64160865
Smile is spiritual meditation on innocence, American history and Americana in general, which features reference to people like William Blake, Twain, Poe, Wordsworth, Tennyson.

Meanwhile Sgt Peppers is literally DUDE WEED LMAO
>>
>>64161081
I wouldn't simplify Sgt Pepper as DUDE WEED LMAO. It started out as pieces of music that were about childhood memories, growing old, and daily life. Where SMiLE is dealing with the broad issues of 'America' and 'Child is the Father of the Man', Sgt Pepper is more about daily life, and its lyrics reflect that. As much as I adore SMiLE, its lyrics are obtuse and to an extent, unrelatable. But musically, I think it sounds sonically better that Sgt Pepper.
>>
>>64160316
Those are some pretty dangerous levels of irony you're handling there anon. Make sure you take proper safety precautions.
>>
So how long has this love for Smile been going on, anyway?

I personally got turned on to this shit when Brian Wilson presents Smile came out and I was really blown away and back then it felt like pretty much no one knew about this great material although I remember there being fan made compilations already available, but that album really appeared to bring the interest levels in the history of Smile up in a new generation.

Did this new popularity start then or did the official release of the Smile tapes really kick start it or was there some other thing that happened?
>>
>>64161485
People have loved it since 1967
>>
Lonerism is more psychedelic and vulnerable than Smile could ever be
>>
File: smile_interest.jpg (25 KB, 960x516) Image search: [Google]
smile_interest.jpg
25 KB, 960x516
>>64161773

my Google Trends proof doesn't go quite far enough, but I distinctly remember there being a huge growth in interest in Smile when the Brian Wilson version came out and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a well known thing - much less an album that most people realized that a practically complete version recorded of before then

so, if you think that music fans in general were always loving Smile and being aware of it instead of mostly thinking of Beach Boys as the guys who ended up doing Kokomo, let's have some proofs (yes, there was always a subculture in the know and as I said there were fan made cuts of Smile, but in my recollection it was at best remembered as being a "lost album" and how great it was and what a complete album you could assemble out of the material was quite a surprise to most people at the time)
>>
>>64163056
there was a lost album element to it thanks to Brian repeatedly claiming to have destroyed most of the tapes but Our Prayer, Cabinessence, Surf's Up, Wonderful, Wind Chimes, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains and Vega-Tables had all been officially released by 1971 and bootlegs for most of the other tracks became available in the following decade.

but Smile wasn't a well-known thing then and it isn't really a well-known thing now. If you asked ten people on the street what they think of the Beach Boys, nine of them will start talking about tacky surf music.
>>
>>64162810
lel
>>
>>64162810
get the fuck off my thread
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.