[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl hate thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
File: 1453578667467.jpg (85 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
1453578667467.jpg
85 KB, 600x398
ITT: We post hate for vinyl and vinylfags.

Shit Vinylfags Say:
>It sounds warmer.
>You appreciate music more if you actually go through the effort if looking for it. Having all of your music available at the click of a button has had a detrimental effect of people's appreciation of music.
>Vinyl actually encourages you to listen to the full album in its proper trackorder instead of being a pleb who only listens to single songs.
>You're using a Crosley? With NO COUNTERWEIGHT?!?!?! Have fun ruining all of your records.
>Vinyl is killing the mp3 industry!
>Life has surface noise!
>Wow you sure are a butthurt poorfag about the fact you can't afford vinyl. Sour grapes much?
>I just like collecting it for the artwork.
>>
Reply to this post and OP will die tonight
>>
>>64153564
OP here. I'll be fine.
>>
n4 hate
>>
>>64153564
pls
>>
bands will also play pranks with vinyl which sounds funny until it happens

dropdead I'm looking at you and you owe me one beer and one turntable arm for completely separate incidents
>>
>>64153700
what are you taking about
>>
>>64153718
Dropdead 2nd s/t played from the insdie out liek a 78

knocked my beer over into my record box trying to save the needle from falling off the record edge as they intended it to do. Broke my turntable arm trying to get the damn thing to play from the inside when the turntable kept trying to reset of course.

real funny guys
>>
>>64153761
wierd
>>
also Locust 5" grooves went literally to the edge so you had to be a fucking surgeon to hear the first few notes but I'm not sure if that was intentional or just from being a 5"
>>
File: IMG_20160418_012244.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160418_012244.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
I even bought these two pieces of shit albums in vinyl because I hate them
>>
>>64153564
thank god
>>
I love vinyl, I just made $75 from selling a RSD release
>>
>>64153564
what a sad soul
>>
>>64153586
hell be fine
>>
>>64153564
kill yourself stupid gook
>>
>>64153564
Vinyl and live music kill mp3 industry (and OP too)
>>
they melt of course which is especially problematic for mail order

If I never flip another record let alone a fucking 7" it'll be too soon
>>
>>64154181
Stupid saltyfag
>>
I don't see the problem with vinyl in general. It's just a nice way to support the artist whilst also getting something physical that is more satisfying than a CD
Vinylfags are dumb, but vinylhaters are almost as bad IMO.
>>
>>64154419
Honestly, I just started collecting records because I needed a hobby. I just wanted to have a goal and enjoy the music I love, you know ?
>>
>>64154419
>more satisfying than a CD
how so? just because you can't make your own vinyl?
>>
>>64154487

The steps to vinyl playback are more involving.
>>
>>64153564
shitskin faggot get the fuck off this board
>>
I thought about starting a vinyl collection for a while until I realized how much money my friends spend on it. All these colored vinyls and picture disks that are coming out these days seem gimmicky as hell to me. I don't see how you can argue that vinyl perpetuates a better appreciation for the music when you seem so obsessed with the physical medium that it comes on.
>>
>>64154532

Just thrift, man. Buying colored/gimmicky vinyl for the sake of it is shitty as hell. Buy stuff you like if the price's good.
>>
>>64154511
and thats more satisfying??

holy fuck different strokes I guess

I'm tempted to say poster insert advantage but actually its going to have an ink break fold as well so either way thats an issue that needs to be dealt with although yeah the vinyl would only have half as much ink break if not even less I suppose or of course none ifs the same size but I dont think Ive ever seen that. Its always at least double.
>>
>>64154341
(You) are a fucking ugly waste of space, do us all a favor and cut off your dick so you can't reproduce
>>
>>64154555

holy shit, is your comma key broken or what?
>>
>>64154576
sorry

maybe because I was talking about ink breaks
>>
>>64154547
Thrifting would be fine if all I liked was old stuff. I highly doubt I'd find any good modern releases in the goodwill vinyl bin. Not to mention that thrift store vinyls are usually all worn out.
>>
>>64153564
TYBG
>>
>>64154464
Does it keep you from wanting to kill yourself?
>>
>>64153564
Good
>>
I'd like a vinyl collection, but Fuck the cost. I literally can't afford £25 per album on top of the initial cost of a player, which I'm guessing is in the hundreds.
>>
>>64154704

What the fuck

Stop buying from major jews, support the small artists, which is around $15, 20 tops
>>
I've found some pretty nice 80's and 90's releases at thrift stores, I also raid the clearence bins at record stores and have got some cool stuff in the $3-5 range, but honestly my favorite is buying boxes of stuff sight unseen. The latest one was 25 random records for $25 on e-bay. Its pretty fun when you don't know what you're getting and for a dollar a piece its not a big deal if you don't end up liking it... my box had several sealed original pressings (Huey Lewis - Sports, I love that album. PatrickBateman.jpg) plus some cool stuff I wouldn't have necessarily sought out like The Byrds - Untitled in near mint condition. It also had Journey - Look into the Future; I'm generally dismissive of Journey (who isn't?) but I didn't even know they released albums before Steve Perry joined. So I listened and its interesting, much harder, bluesier, even psychedelic in parts. Still not great or anything but it definitely changed my perspective on the band.
>>
I remember when vinyl used to be a fun and somewhat cheap and fun alternative.

I remember when the average LP cost $15 this was 5 years ago now it's $25 and it just bums me out.

It feels like a gimmick now. I remember when it was rare for artists to release on vinyl it it was a format more reserved for indie artists now shit is backed up at the plants for months.

Also it bums me out Urban Outfitters and Amazon are the largest LP retailers but it doesn't surprise me.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-06-21.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-06-21.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>ITT
>>
>>64154621
It helps with self-loathing, yeah.
>>
>>64154519
>>64154573
wew you salty af
>>
If you like classic rock then you can find Vinyl for dirt cheap, I didn't really listen to much dadrock before I started collecting but now I have tons. Used record stores usually have decent stuff for under $10.

Buying new records is insanely expensive, I rarely ever buy a record unless it's used.
>>
>>64154758
Fucking this. Not to mention the insane price spike for used records. $20 used to buy me an armful of good records at my local store, now I see the same records that used to go for $2-4 a pop for like $15+. Any big name classic rock band is going to be insanely overpriced because the Tumblr/Crosley crowd doesn't realize the records were stamped out in the millions and they consistently pay out the ass for them, pushing the prices up.

Also I miss vintage equipment being cheap too.
>>
>>64153531
It's one of the most inconvenient ways to listen to music. You honestly wont notice a sound difference, unless you have a got tier sound system so people need to shut the fuck up about it sounding better. I forgot to mention that its expensive as fuck and a complete waste of money. I still really like vinyl though. I don't go boasting about how better it is or act a fool, I just keep it to myself and sometimes casually bring it up.
>>
>>64154934
I remember seeing the first Arctic Monkeys album at the local electronics store for $40.

And then one RSD my local store had the Mac Demarco 2 demos for sale for $40 this si $40 for used record. I understand it's somewhat rare but c'mon it wasn't even the Orange colorway either.
>>
>>64154758
>Urban Outfitters
I have one of those by me, and I don't know what they're like. Is it as awful as I imagine?
>>
I don't know where these prices come from but one reason I pay that much for a new record is because international shipping taxes are a bitch nowadays. I'd essentially pay double the price of a record because of that.
>>
>>64155040
It's a hip clothing store that sells vinyl and cassettes.

It's like a hip department store for 20 somethings. The one here in NYC has a cafe.

They also get exclusive colorways for their LPs so sometimes I go.
>>
>>64153531
>>Life has surface noise!
TOP. KEK
>>
Vinyl is just an outlet for materialist posing in scenes that typically frown upon that type of thing.

An easy way for richfags to buy credibility.
>>
>>64155064
Newbury is better for exclusives tho and it's not as shitty
>>
>>64155084
I'm not a fan of the music Newberry put out more often than not, I know they did get that new beach house colorway though. Also Urban does a lot of alternate artwork as well which I tend to gravitate towards
>>
File: 1460350999438.jpg (250 KB, 540x719) Image search: [Google]
1460350999438.jpg
250 KB, 540x719
>ITT
>>
File: 32229999_040_b.jpg (242 KB, 975x1463) Image search: [Google]
32229999_040_b.jpg
242 KB, 975x1463
>>
>>64155123
Does anyone know what those headphones are?
>>
File: wearedevo.jpg (52 KB, 432x485) Image search: [Google]
wearedevo.jpg
52 KB, 432x485
Buying used vinyl these days is absolutely miserable.

Million selling albums aren't readily available anymore. I go to a few record stores weekly and I rarely see insanely popular albums like Rumours and Remain in Light. And on the rare occasion I do, guess what? They're marked up at like $15 because they know some Crosley schmuck will buy it! It's just kind of insane to think of how people couldn't even get rid of these albums ten years ago. I saw a copy of Duty Now for the Future, an album that used to be priced at $5-$7, for $17.99 yesterday. Holy shit.

The dollar bin isn't a thing anymore, except for absolutely trashed records or albums that no one will ever want to buy in a million years.

The thrift stores around me are useless, too. Either there's a collector that's going in there every day and scooping all the good stuff, they're never getting anything in, or they're putting all of the worthwhile stuff on auction sites because I never see anything besides garbage 50s vocal pop and Herb Alpert records. This one time I thought I got lucky because I saw The Beach Boys Christmas Album but there was no fucking record inside.

Hopefully the vinyl bubble bursts soon, if it even exists.
>>
>>64154891
fuck you, you shitstain. I don't give a fuck about vinyl. I just hate you, dumb gook
>>
>>64155224
I disagree I got Laura Branigan for like $3 last year and a Kate Bush album for $8 last month. Timing is everything.
>>
>>64155224

the trick is to use web stores like discogs/ebay, assuming you're american, vinyl prices in the us are much cheaper than you think, just go online.

i live in canada, so even if i do buy records from discogs/ebay, i am stuck with a $20 shipping fee, $4 extra per each record after the one record. it's hell, and it's poop. it used to be so much cheaper but usps is such a dick.

shipping's like $3-4 in the us so that's always cool, you can buy a $5 copy of rumours and pay an extra $3-4 on top of that just for shipping, cool beans...
>>
File: 1460963507459.jpg (200 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1460963507459.jpg
200 KB, 960x1280
>>64155246
At least montie doesn't look and act like a bullied 16 year old all the time.
>>
File: 1459847886825.jpg (20 KB, 310x298) Image search: [Google]
1459847886825.jpg
20 KB, 310x298
>>64155263
jesus christ
>>
>>64155262
I use Discogs often. Overgrading is rampant on both Discogs and eBay so I tend to stay away. VG+ is not worth wasting your time. The cheapest NM original copy of Rumours on Discogs right now is like $20 shipped.
>>
>>64155281
Here's the kicker he says he's "22"
>>
Investment without prediction is all about the loophole.

gotta find that loophole and fuck it hard
>>
File: 1457576671153.jpg (36 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1457576671153.jpg
36 KB, 512x512
>>64155303
kek are you serious? he doesn't look a day over 12
>>
Vinylfag here.

OP is entirely correct. The only reason I buy vinyl is because it's cheap as fuck second hand and it's one way for me to find new stuff.
>>
I just want something my kids can look through, like I looked through my dad's records. Too bad my chances of having kids are looking to be pretty slim.
>>
It's just a fun hobby, stop overthinking it and don't buy them if you don't like it. Have fun sitting at home on /mu/ while I go to the record store and get a coffee to kill a few hours.
>>
>>64155370
This. I want some kid to post on future reddit something like "I got my dad's record collection" and see all the signed LPs and rare albums I got over the years
>>
>>64155158
koss pro4aa (i think)
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.