[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >People still defend rap as serious music I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: jg.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
jg.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>2016
>People still defend rap as serious music
I mean don't get me wrong. I like it, love it even. I listen to it all the time. It's just time we all realised it is something of a joke genre.
>>
>>64140893
it only became that way because of the bling rap phase, and how shallow it turned during that time.
that phase does not represent the entirety of what rap is about.
>very far from it
>>
>>64140893
>2016
>People still defend music as serious
I mean don't get me wrong. I like it, love it even. I listen to it all the time. It's just time we all realised it is something of a joke.
>>
some rap is serious some is lighthearted
t h i s g o e s f o r e v e r y g e n r e
>>
Either all music is art or none of it is
>>
>>64140995
/thread
>>
>>64141126
being a joke doesn't disqualify something from being art
>>
>>64141068
>>64141126
>>64141194
you people give me faith in /mu/ good job
OP is a turdbrain
>>
Since this is just another "rap is bad" bait thread, can someone please photoshop Pacha's hands on that album cover for me? It's my birthday and I'm a lonely person with no friends, it's the only thing that would make me smile today.Thanks.
>>
>>64141792
It must feel nice to dismiss any attempt at constructive critisism as a 9gag tier "le wrong generation" teenage fedorafest.
>>
>>64141916
did you interact with any of the on topic responses to this thread that disagreed with your post tho
>>
File: Hachikuji.Mayoi.full.1308244.jpg (346 KB, 1754x1240) Image search: [Google]
Hachikuji.Mayoi.full.1308244.jpg
346 KB, 1754x1240
The thing about rap is that it's a genre that is heavily influenced by lyrics. At the same time it's tied to an specific culture. This causes every single rap album to be about themes that said culture live every day, or say they do (a lot of rappers are bluffers). This causes every single rap album to talk about the same fucking things every single rap. No, not bitches and money, but black culture problems. You see there is nothing wrong about this, but every single rap album is a badly done 36 Chambers, Madvillainy, The Chronic or Straight Outta Compton. There is no lyrical innovation. And since the genre is tied to it's lyrics, it becomes flat out boring. Other genres do also talk about the same things more often than not (see punk for example) but they are more melody driven. Now, hip hop albums are different, i'm just talking about strict rap albums, so Nujabes, Ta-ku, Madlib, etc. Are different things. Overall, it's not a joke genre, but it's repetition and it's lack of real, creative, genre defining released (there are exceptions but still, you get my point)
>>
>>64142558
*Make it hard for it to be an interesting genre of music, that's the end
>>
File: RRzYnEn.png (259 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
RRzYnEn.png
259 KB, 400x400
>>64141792

hey there friend, sorry it isn't very good. i did what i could. hope you like it. :-)
>>
>>64142961
Thanks a lot anon, I'm a lot happier now.
>>
>>64143004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTU4AarZ7A :-)
>>
>>64140893
>It's just time we all realised it is something of a joke genre.
Why do you accuse it of this?

>how shallow it turned during that time.
honestly radio rap never really recovered, but I would argue that every genre only had one decade where the popular bands also happened to be among the most artistically accomplished (70s for heavy metal, eg).
>>
File: 1459569521046.jpg (26 KB, 339x326) Image search: [Google]
1459569521046.jpg
26 KB, 339x326
>>64141916
>>64142071

holy shit lmao OP got blown clean the fuck out
>>
>>64142558
you can thank the fans for the repetitiveness in the genre
>>
>>64143926
>every single rap album to talk about the same fucking things
>every single rap album is a badly done 36 Chambers, Madvillainy, The Chronic or Straight Outta Compton
>every single

There is so fucking much shit that has nothing to do with what you listed, and not just an album here or there but entire like subgenres. For example the whole De La Soul / ATCQ / Digable Planets continuum is completely absent from your assessment.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (172 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
172 KB, 400x400
>>64142961
-Poor effort, see me after class
>>
>>64142558
I love it when people who only understand a topic on the most superficial level possible try to give sweepingly generalizations on it like they know what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
File: hachikuji1.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hachikuji1.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
>>64143926
Yeah man, the whole "genre of the weak" thing is what's stopping it from being one of the most high brow genres of music.
>>64144291
Well while you are right, it's obvious there are a bunch of exceptions. Horrorcore, Death Grips (maybe not), CLOUDDEAD, etc. But that doesn't make it true for the mayority of rap. I feel like the "Cultural appropiation" guys are the ones holding back the genre
>>
1. Most hip hop artists cover a wide variety of subject matter (Like all genres of music) though there are common themes
2. There is more to hip hop than the vocals
3. There is more to rap vocals than the meaning of the words
4. Writing off an entire genre is always a bad idea, though you are always entitled to your opinion please treat it as such
>>
File: hacikuji.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hacikuji.jpg
119 KB, 1280x720
>>64145689
You sure read my post boy. I don't even disagree with you. Hip Hop is a genre with infinite possibilities, but the people making it are not awarw of that. I also explicitly said that i was talking about rap NOT HIP HOP. I also am aware that lyrical experimentation is a thing that many rap artists do, but it feels like everyone wants to do the same thing. How many, for example, rap albums are made in prose? That would be pretty good. I just feel like Rap could be so much more if it wasn't for the cultural stugma it has. (Note: i do believe rap is art, i do disagree with the OP)
>>
>>64146001
wasn't necessarily aiming those statements at you, just thought the thread could use them. That being said, I think a lot of rap today is more focused on rhythmic experimentation than lyrical, in order to develop a unique flow and voice. Very few rappers are trying to do the same thing in that regard.
I also think that looking at the cultural aspects as a stigma holding it back is kind of silly, without the cultural aspect of the genre hip hop wouldn't exist, at least not in the form it does today. If you mean you would like to see rap as a vocal style be used in other ways, there's a lot of folk and punk music that uses long form lyrics with an emphasis on rhythm, as well as other genres.
I mean I think we're agreeing on most things, but I just think the solution is to look harder rather than knock the style
>>
>>64144884
No, it's not "a bunch of exceptions", it's to the point where your straitjacket impression of what is and isn't rap is absolutely ridiculous and if you actually believe this shit in 2016 I have to question if you even music.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.