[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
File: MI0001912269.jpg (19 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
MI0001912269.jpg
19 KB, 400x397
Shoutout to /blindfold/. Last Friday's thread was really good and this week's theme is Criss cross records selected by jtg.
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/18nM0DFx/file.html

What have you been listening to? What'd you think of it? General jazz discussion.

Got pic on the strength of a track on last week's blindfold and it's fantastic. I can't think of many jazz albums I've heard arranged like this.
>>
Charlie Parker with Strings is the closest comparison to Focus. At the time, pairing jazz musicians with symphony orchestras was called Third Stream, meaning the third genre of music after classical and jazz. Music headed in a different direction instead, and now we have many more than three genres, but that's the name they called this kind of music by.
>>
>>64130706
>Charlie Parker with Strings is the closest comparison to Focus.
Except the arranging is done completely differently on that album. Parker with strings is more in the vein that vocalists like Ella Fitzgerald used to get arrangements done. Very kind of poppy and traditional.
Focus is more like a modern string quartet with spaces left for Getz to improvise.
>>
>>64130498
glad to hear you liked the /blindfold/

pic attached is another great sax+strings album that's not very widely known

personally listening to Miles this evening
>>
Marc Copland and Gary Peacock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdMfQHJXs08

Best polychordal jazz. Not for plebs.
>>
>>64130498
Check out Chris Potter's release from last year called Imaginary Cities.

Also as I mentioned in the blindfold thread Lee Konitz has some stuff along the lines of that Focus album (rather than the traditional 'jazz with strings album') pic related might be a good example or he did another one with Pierre Blanchard. Others too I'm sure but those are the ones that I remember.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 355x311) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 355x311
>>64132211
Forgot pic
>>
>>64132211
Imaginary Cities was actually my AOTY.
I think I'd like Lee Konitz in that kind of setting. I like how he works with the like of Evans and Mulligan's arrangements.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.