[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1176_stacked_hq.jpg (136 KB, 950x530) Image search: [Google]
1176_stacked_hq.jpg
136 KB, 950x530
I've been lurking for a while now and I've seen a lot of dumbasses on here complaining about "compression". I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that almost none of you actually understand compression, and most of the time you're either parroting what other people have said or actually just complaining about shitty production.

I want to see some actual examples of songs that are "too compressed" or what you think a nice production job sounds like. Fight me.
>>
bump to give /mu/ a chance
>>
>Anything that gets played on the radio.
>>
File: image.jpg (617 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
617 KB, 1632x1224
>>64127558
This is a band I recorded a few years ago everything is over compressed and it's just garbage

https://m.soundcloud.com/dubchug/start-the-trend

This is something I finished today
It is compressed great you can really tell the difference in the vocals and bass.

https://m.soundcloud.com/teammollymassive
>>
Go to example of over-compression is Death Magnetic by Metallica. Although I agree that in most peoples audio setups dynamic range is hard to get a grasp of.

Iv'e listened to overly compressed songs vs high dynamic range production in a critical listening space on a handful of occasions, the difference was drastic.
>>
>>64127719
Fucking mastering engineers
>>
>>64127770
I don't understand what your issue is, do you sell shitty vst limiters for a living?
>>
I think (over) compression has its uses but in some circumstances can hurt the overall track quiality. An album like Deftones - Diamond Eyes for instance gains a lot of atmosphere from good use of compression, while one like Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist or >>64127719 end up sounding like cheap products. I think it varies on a genre by genre basis as well; in EDM and especially dubstep compression is a necessity but in rock and arguably hip-hop its easy to go overboard
>>
>>64127907
Pretty spot on summary, what some people consider over compression is the archetype of certain types of music such as big room house, it's the misuse of compression in music that benefits from HDR where it becomes an issue.
>>
>>64127870
Nah I sell copies of Audacity
It was the mastering engineer's fault for the over compression on the Metallica album
>>
>>64128080
Oh right I get you, misread the tone of your comment, sorry friend :) :) :) :)
>>
>>64127558
great example of bad 'loudness war' remastering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjQc0dM4H4
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.