[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If JS Bach was alive today, what would be his fav of modern music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg (130 KB, 480x591) Image search: [Google]
Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg
130 KB, 480x591
If JS Bach was alive today, what would be his fav of modern music?
>>
maybe death grips
>>
Skrillex
>>
dragonforce
>>
Contrapuntal, keyboard centric jazz.

Unsure how far his harmonic tastes would go. Maybe he would like Marc Copland.

Bill Evans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3GSrCmzC8
>>
>>64123739
He's judging us...
>>
>>64123823
damn...
>>
Metal since artistically and technically speaking it's the most complex genre, quite possibly he would have loved Fleshgod Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXOucG8rM5k
>>
File: ncoNwuh1tcGMYNE0.png (55 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
ncoNwuh1tcGMYNE0.png
55 KB, 209x204
"I suspect that Bach would have loved June of 44."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIwpjWxgZu4
>>
Magma
>>
>>64123766
I can't believe this is the only serious answer
>>
>>64125010
DAA ZEUUUHLL WORTZ MEKANIIK
>>
File: Thugga.jpg (118 KB, 840x560) Image search: [Google]
Thugga.jpg
118 KB, 840x560
>>64123739
This guy
>>
James Ferraro - Live at Primavera Sound 2012
>>
>>64123745
Prolly this
>>
>>64125038
"I luv 2 bump zis shet!"
>>
>>64125038
Why aren't more niggers sampling classical?
>>
>>64123739
Kanye west
>>
File: 1460755604878.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460755604878.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
>>64123739
if you don't agree to my post 100% you're an absolute pleb
>>
>>64124641
>this is what metalheads believe
>>
I was about to say Kanye but Germans are massive racist fucks
>>
>>64125331
/thread/10
>inb4 this thread devolves into child play for the 100th time
>>
probably joanna
>>
>>64123739
Modern classical music.
>>
>>64124641
Fucking kill yourself holy shit.

>Artistically Complex

Fucking what ?
>>
>>64125612
/thread
>>
File: Essential Bach.png (911 KB, 1811x1706) Image search: [Google]
Essential Bach.png
911 KB, 1811x1706
The first movement of Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta is an atonal fugue, so I think Bach would appreciate it.

Shostakovich's fugues too perhaps.

Not sure what he would make of academic art music in this day and age. He would probably hate it. That said, there's a Ferneyhough piece in strict canon so I'm sure he would be interested to see some of the scores.

He love intensely polyphonic, chromatic music with constant seamless modulation, so pretty much all popular music is out (all bands, producers, singer-songwriters, etc) I have a feeling he would enjoy a lot of 20th century songs or opera like Strauss' 4 last songs, perhaps even Doctor Atomic. Some of Bach's bass lines have a minimalist feel, and I think the combination of rhythmic variation and the traditional tonality and lyricism in Doctor Atomic would appeal to him.
>>
Experimental improvised music. Considering he's German
>>
Iggy Azalea
>>
>>64124641
>artistically and technically speaking it's the most complex genre,
Metal songwriters dont usually know music theory, so how are they supposed to make the most complex music? simply by "experimenting" or "playing whatever feels good" thats not complexity, nor does it produce quality music. Look up Brian Ferneyhough if you want to see complex music.
>>
>>64125917
I know you're probably trolling, but

>implying no singer-songwriters have composed polyphonic, chromatic music with constant seamless modulation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6gUija5NBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pTR1DGUXbc

>all bands
Do I even have to link to it?
>>
>>64125985
>nor does it produce quality music
absolutely subjective
>>
File: 12n3un.jpg (106 KB, 750x499) Image search: [Google]
12n3un.jpg
106 KB, 750x499
>>64123739
>>
>>64126091
>absolutely subjective
not if you know anything about music

Economy of material is objective. Educated people usually come to a consensus on whether something is quality. They say "this piece is high or low quality due to X, Y and Z" they dont say "we just don't know!"
If educated people are divided on whether something is quality or not, like cage's 4'33" or stockhausen's helicopter string quartet. Thats when you can start to ask questions about subjective vs. objective, but not before.

fyi when I say educated people I'm mostly talking about those with masters degrees in music
>>
Beethoven
>>
>>64123739
>not assuming he would have just killed himself

Wait... do you mean still alive, in that he was still born in the 17th century? Because if that's what you mean, yeah he would have backflipped off a tall building by now.
>>
>>64126998
well imagine he fell asleep instead of dying, and theb he woke up a few years ago
and has an internet connection
>>
Would he like jazz?
>>
Probably Christian Rock since the faggots first goal in making music was to serve God
>>
>>64128070
Well...now that I think about it, after he got over the nerve-shattering mindfuck, he'd probably be very interested to hear works by composers who cite him as a major influence (which is pretty much all of them).
>>
Swans
>>
>>64123739
He was really passionate about music, reading score during the night when he was a child. walked hours long to go to concerts.
Very good organ player
Love to improvise
Huge knowledge of music of his time, and music theory
Very catholic and academic

Today we have 1000 times more music styles than 300 years ago. I guess he would be into a lot of different styles and have multiple bands and projects of differents kind

He would probably love classical tonal music, jazz for improvisation, be interested in metal.
He would not revolutionate styles, but push them to their heights

He would not be interested into stardom and pop icones and everything around the music business. He would probably accept it and deal with it because he has to, to do music
>>
Old people are usually pretty stubborn, so he would probably like contemporary classical music. I feel like he would also like some types of structured jazz and electronic minimalism.
>>
File: Clint.gif (905 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
Clint.gif
905 KB, 240x228
>>64129255
> Contemporary classical music
You mean atonal music ?
>>
>>64123739
My old friend who dislikes Bach said that if he lived today he would make techno
>>
You're all idiots. He would write contemporary classical. He didn't write fucking parlor songs.
>>
>>64129361
Atonal mostly died with Boulez. Although atonal still greatly influences current classical it is only a small part of it.
>>
If he were alive today he'd probably be an engineer.
>>
>>64129449
You know except for Rihm Birtwistle Ferneyhough Lachenmann Chin Dusapin Murrail Grisey
et
cetera
>>
>>64124641
kek
>>
>>64129482
yes I know most of those aren't atonal
>>
Death Grips
>>
>>64129174
>Very catholic
>Bach
>>
>>64130147
they're all atonal you idiot
>>
File: 1081.gif (716 KB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
1081.gif
716 KB, 245x187
>>64130194
>>
dub techno.
>>
>>64124641
I love this meme
>>
After getting a taste of today's music?
He would become a huge fan of John Cage and listen to 4′33″ all day.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.