[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jim O'Rourke Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: eureka_jimorourke.jpg (183 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
eureka_jimorourke.jpg
183 KB, 936x936
Since I haven't seen much Jim discussion on here in a while.

I'm just now getting into his non "pop music" stuff and finding some great stuff. Holy shit is his discography dense, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-seLF-Sohjg
>>
Do we have an official count from last year? six albums?
>>
His albums are amazing
>>
>>64119865

Between Simple Songs, his Steamroom stuff, and collabs, who fucking knows anymore.

>>64119916

Right? Even his most apathetically thrown together abstract albums are great. I think he's becoming my favorite musician ever
>>
>>64119972
>Between Simple Songs, his Steamroom stuff, and collabs, who fucking knows anymore.
When did Jim O'Rourke become the Buckethead of experimental indie rock?
>>
>>64120020

hah that makes sense on paper but that reflects pretty poorly on Jim. I feel like Buckethead releases a bunch of filler albums, while Jim seems to just put out some throwaway stuff in between his main albums/works which definitely are not filler (like Simple Songs)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJcG2jrdBg

is there a more beautiful song?
>>
File: bad-timing-55954eea0bf9a.jpg (101 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
bad-timing-55954eea0bf9a.jpg
101 KB, 1000x1000
What's your favorite album of his lads? I flip flop between Eureka and Bad Timing all the time
>>
>>64120319

>the shared fingerpicking licks in Hell in Hello and Women of the World

So satisfying for some reason

Eureka might be my favorite album ever, I could talk about it forever. Shame that Jim dislikes it so much
>>
File: 1571958.jpg (18 KB, 289x300) Image search: [Google]
1571958.jpg
18 KB, 289x300
Please Note Our Failure is a pretty cute EP.
Also, his Burt Bacharach tribute album was really neat.
His album with Fire! is also one of my favorite releases from Fire! in general.
Jim is a cute guy.
>>
>>64120284
i dont think so
>>
>>64119849
watch Eureka (2000) bro
>>
>>64120497

"Cute" is the exact word my gf used when she heard the Bacharach album. I heard Unreleased? By him w/ Fire!, is that the one you were referring to? Idk anything else by them actually
>>
File: smh.png (244 KB, 576x536) Image search: [Google]
smh.png
244 KB, 576x536
scaruffi's o'rourke section might be the most embarrassing thing on his website
>>
glad to see this thread, he definitely deserves more praise

his stuff with oren ambarchi and keiji haino is definitely worth a listen if you're keen on getting into his more experimental stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_WpHsz-j_Q
>>
>>64120667
in particular the 4/10 for insignificance
>>
>>64120667

Jim O'Rourke's music is actually a great example of how trying to listen/rate individual albums of an artist will create a far worse experience than trying to take in their work as a whole (or, in jim's case, big enough chunks)

I can think of very few individual releases from Jim that even come close to capturing his greatness as a musician

Also sorry for my Jim-jerking I'm on adderall in the middle of the night listening to Bad Timing and getting emotional
>>
File: 6078680.jpg (13 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
6078680.jpg
13 KB, 600x600
>>64120650
Yeah. I guess he also released the super short live EP Released! with them. A lot of people are really into Fire! Orchestra so you might want to check out those couple of albums (I think their third one is coming out at the end of this month too) but I personally like their collabs with O'Rourke and (Without Noticing) the best.
Also, speaking of cute O'Rourke covers, I like this Bill Fay cover a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOkk04H4-7Y

>>64120668
You know, the Haino, O'Rourke, Ambarchi albums never really blow me away but they are always pretty pleasant and I always look forwards to them. Probably the most comfortable I feel with free improv noise rock.
I like their new album's cover too.
>>
>>64121022

Have you ever delved into that whole Japanese noise scene beyond Haino? I dig this of his a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hgY9bQYq2o
>>
>>64120439
why does he dislike it?
>>
File: SDlEtcJ.jpg (30 KB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
SDlEtcJ.jpg
30 KB, 448x252
>>64121425
A little. I'm not super well versed in it but I know most of the big names and probably a few other people. I watched that silly documentary We Don't Care About Music Anyway (which I thought had really good performances in it but all the interviews were kinda lame for the most part).
Speaking of (and going a bit back towards Fire! again), I do really like when Otomo Yoshihide covers Jim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnP3Sqi3kQ
>>
>>64121724

Interviews with all those guys can get a little bit.. much. Like you I probably just know the big guys and those that branch out into other scenes/genres

I was just about to post that Eureka cover. Funny thing, the first time I listened to it I was in a car and thought it was the most beautiful thing ever. Then I showed it to my roommate by starting it a third or so the way through and it sounded so cartoonish and silly. The emotions of buildups at their finest
>>
File: sonicwide.jpg (23 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
sonicwide.jpg
23 KB, 768x576
>>64120319
Terminal Pharmacy.
>mfw that section of Cede with the horns
>>
>>64120319
eureka, easily
though im kind of an orourke newbie
gonna go through his entire discography coming up
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.