[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the most selling hip hop album of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: Outkast-speakerboxx-lovebelow.jpg (32 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Outkast-speakerboxx-lovebelow.jpg
32 KB, 300x300
It is really not that good, and is a terrible first impression for Outkast.
>>
>>64108829
Double albums are registered as 2x sales, and Outkast were hugely popular at the time. Hey Ya was a legendary hit.
>>
>>64108874
I get it, but I feel bad for the people who only know Hey Ya! when they are one of the best hip hop groups of all time. Hey Ya! isn't even top 15 for them.
>>
>>64108917
Hey Ya! is a great pop song, but I would just call it an Andre 3000 song.
>>
Like the other anon said, double albums count for double the sales, it's realistically sold closer to 5 or 6 million copies, which is still a shit-load. The real highest selling rap album is the Marshall Mathers LP. The top 10 list of highest selling rap albums is pretty trash anyway, MC Hammer, Nelly and a 2Pac greatest hits album all make the list
>>
>>64108829
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII KNOW YOU LIKE TO THINK YO SHIT DON'T STINKKKK

I thought it was pretty good desu
>>
>>64109742
fucking lol @ nelly
>>
>>64108829
Speakerboxxx was a 4 star album but Love Below was a 2 star album.
>>
I love Outkast but I could never get into this album.
>>
>>64108829
>a terrible first impression for Outkast
I agree seeing as how it's just very two very different solo albums thrown together in one package.

But it had Hey Ya on it so the sales don't surprise me at all.
>>
>>64109874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvF03ISh3W8
>>
the only people who this would be a first impression for are little kids
>>
>>64109795
Well he was one of the most popular rappers from 1999 to around 2006. His album Country Grammar sold nine-times platinum, 8.4 million copies.
>>
>>64110010
It came out 15 years ago, most of /mu/ were little kids then.
>>
>>64110152
i know but it's just funny to think about
>>
>>64110163
2003 was 15 years ago
>>
>>64110163
it came out 12 1/2 years ago and it's fucking Outkast, anyone who's into music should have heard all their stuff
>>
>>64108829
>…And all some pussy ass nigga on the internet say is that the verse wasn't good

Andre said that, on "Sorry".

You outsiders kill me, trying to analyze a moment in music -- an extension of LIFE - all in one sitting. Andre literally stepped away from making music to keep white culture vultures from taking shit out of context, and killing the value.
>>
>>64110609
basically this, you could see the pain in his eyes in that coachella performance. he hates the industry, but can you blame him? he pops into the spotlight once every few years when he has a feature verse and fucking kills it each time
>>
>>64110850

He ruined Pink Matter though.

Honestly the only good verse he's dropped this decade is Party and they replaced him with J. Cole on the single version.
>>
>>64111273
>the only good verse this decade
Are you fucking retarded? If you don't think his verse on "Sixteen" was god-level then this rap culture just isn't for you.
>>
>>64108829
I'd say their best was stankonia
>>
>>64111273
that Erykah Badu feature was killer. He also made DoYaThing
>>
File: n5041256375be3.jpg (73 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
n5041256375be3.jpg
73 KB, 400x388
>millennials first impression of Outkast isn't Ms Jackson
>>
>>64111614

Rosa Parks is the only Outkast song I ever hear on the radio anymore, actually.

And people born in the eighties are still millennials.
>>
>>64111614
>>64112044
>the accuracy
LOL

rosa parks was my favorite song back in the day, but i didn't really "know" who outkast was until ms. jackson
>>
>>64108829
my cousin mixed that album :3

and their others
>>
>>64113047
cool, is he still working today?
>>
>>64113088
he was the studio manager and head engineer at stankonia studios in atlanta for about 10 years and retired to something more stable when business slowed-down. also the hours and lifestyle resulted in a traumatic divorce so i think he had to call it quits.

the other sad story of many engineers who work in pop probably applied as well - when the aesthetic and fad changes, everyone hires new talent for the new sound. he did a ot of big acts, including P!nk and a bunch of rappists but it doesn't take long for the business to look to younger newer people
>>
>>64113263
>when the aesthetic and fad changes, everyone hires new talent for the new sound.

only people who have survived this change are fuckheads like rick rubin and vlado meller who just brickwall everything to death, since that's been the trend for the past 30 years
>>
>>64113342
yep. a lot of guys just get out of pop music and start working in older slower areas like folk, singer/songwriter, or they go into radio or movies. and yeah don't get me started on that brickwall rubin shit! he's like a brilliant director who gets unbelievable sentiments and performances out of people, but then he phil specters it to death by fucking up the engineering
>>
>>64109874
but love below has roses which is an objectively fucking great pop song and if you don't think so your opinion is objectively terrible
>>
>>64108829
The Love Below is my favorite thing they've done and I don't think speakerboxx is that bad.

Aquemini is better honestly, but this is not bad at all.
>>
Starts off like a small town marriage
Lovely wife and life, baby carriage
Now all the stars have cars, success of course
But it ends in Hollywood divorce, Hollywood divorce
>>
>>64116843
the life of a cuck
>>
It's a great album.

How can you not love Unhappy, Bow Tie, or any of the singles? This album is FUN.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.