[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name ONE thing he's wrong about. INB4: >muh Beatles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: 1443993658912.jpg (6 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
1443993658912.jpg
6 KB, 209x204
Name ONE thing he's wrong about.

INB4:

>muh Beatles
>muh Pet Sounds
>muh Radiohead
>I don't get TMR or Faust
>>
File: images-and-words-5549b8b7c2efa.jpg (953 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
images-and-words-5549b8b7c2efa.jpg
953 KB, 1000x1000
>8/10
>>
>>64071026
He thinks that jazz music is about the composition rather than the performance/performer.
>>
>>64071026
>>muh Beatles
>>muh Pet Sounds
>>muh Radiohead
>>I don't get TMR or Faust

These are all legitimate complaints.
>>
13 year old pussy
>>
File: 1280x1280.jpg (353 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280.jpg
353 KB, 1280x1280
>>64071026
>>
>>64071040

Beatles, Pet Sounds and Radiohead are all boring, vapid pop music. TMR and Faust s/t are masterpieces that bridge the gap between art music and popular music.

>>64071036

no, he just prefers jazz that has a focus on composition rather than improvisational wank. however he does appreciate a lot of free jazz.

>>64071035

well-deserved, Dream Theater being bad is just a meme
>>
Why I voted against "Gay" marriage:

>The fact that so many Americans still believe it should be illegal to marry a 12-year-old only tells you how far America still is from becoming a serious culture. The Europeans have long recognized that the greatest relationships of all times are between male adults and female adolescents, who are the most biologically fit to produce offspring, as well as the most physically attractive. Followers of the Muslim faith rank the highly controversial Aisha over all of their prophet Mohammed’s other wives, who were far past the prime age for reproduction. Americans are still blinded by puritan values. Adult females are more mentally developed than adolescents (not true, by the way), therefore they must be the greatest partners. Europeans engaged in relationships with adolescent European girls in the middle ages, radical Islamists engage in relationships with adolescent Muslim girls in the present. Americans are often totally ignorant of the virtues of relationships with adolescent girls, they barely know the biological benefits. No wonder they will think that sexual relations with 12-year-old girls should be criminalized.
>>
What did he give Use your Illusion one & two?
>>
File: lusty_negro_attitudes.png (131 KB, 293x308) Image search: [Google]
lusty_negro_attitudes.png
131 KB, 293x308
>one & two
>1&2
>12
>>
Can anyone post the link where some guy utterly destroys him on his Beatles review? You know the one I'm talking about.
>>
>>64071090
did he really say this??
>>
>>64071085
>Beatles, Pet Sounds and Radiohead are all boring, vapid pop music. TMR and Faust s/t are masterpieces that bridge the gap between art music and popular music.
autism
>>
>>64071085
>is a fan of scaruffi core and Dream Theater
You lost
>>
Ghosts of the Great Highway is secretly an 8 on the Scruffy scale but he just didn't get it
>>
he's wrong about metal but apart from that he indeed is right about literally everything
>>
>>64071040
>>64071158
He's not wrong. Tonal, formal music is a dead idiom. It's been dead since the 30's when Webern pioneered the new direction of athematic, arrhythmic, atonal music. The great minds of each generation have built from Webern's example: the small minds have stuck to the old ideas.
>>
>>64071026
virtually all metal
>>
He gave Frances the Mute a higher score than any King Crimson album.
>>
>>64071026
serial score inflator
>>
He gave Pygmalion by Slowdive a 6/10
>>
>>64071416
not true, by the way
>>
>>64071085
Dream Theater is fucking awful. Have you even listened to good prog metal before? Or any metal in general, for that matter.
>>
>>64071427
I like the album but he's right about that. It's just a dream pop version of Spirit of Eden.
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1000x1000
He's wrong about anything I don't agree with, how about that? Admits he doesn't care for or understand entire genres of music yet reviews them anyway. Doesn't appreciate virtuoso musicianship yet writes with the pretentiousness of a virtuoso writer unironicly. Favorite band of all time is New York Dolls, a clear example that image, attitude, story, location (New York, village, art scene, wow we're so much hipper here) than assessing pure music for music's sake.
>>
>>64071155
newfag
>>
>>64071431
it is true, look it up
>>
>>64071026
The Godspeed Albums are rated lower than Agaetis Byrjun
>>
>>64071587
Wait I was talking about Christgau, I realize now that's now who that is. Who is that?
>>
One time he thought he was wrong, and it turned out he was right.
>>
>>64071587
>Favorite band of all time is New York Dolls
That's Christgau
>Admits he doesn't care for or understand entire genres of music yet reviews them anyway.
Some genres are not worth caring about
>>
>>64071085
>beatles are boring and vapid
>dream theater are a good band

holy fucking shit anon what are you smoking
>>
File: Smug Anime 42.jpg (28 KB, 315x311) Image search: [Google]
Smug Anime 42.jpg
28 KB, 315x311
>>64071451
>Dream Theater is bad do you listen to metal???
>>
His haphazard collection of personal opinions cannot be right, cannot be wrong, and cannot have any value above or below mine, yours or anyone's.

Also he's a self-confessed pedophile, so there's that.
>>
>>64071784
it can sure be a lot better than your faggot

you're a shit critic and that's why you don't write reviews
>>
>>64071767
Definitely not weed. Maybe ephedrine.
>>
>>64071416
They're both garbage, so....
>>
>>64071784
I know what you mean.

Personally, I can be attracted to somebody who is 18 years old, but when that same person is 17.999 years old I feel nothing at all.
>>
>>64071784
>Also he's a self-confessed pedophile, so there's that.
at least hes honest. literally everyone is most sexually attracted to puberty aged people.its nature and every psychological analysis points to it. its just considered so taboo to even bring it up in most cultures.
>>
>>64071784

>he's a self-confessed pedophile

no, he's not, that whole thing is literally a meme based on a article he wrote about gay marriage where he basically argues that if gay marriage can be legal, why not pedo marriage too? he didn't actually say he WANTS to marry a little girl or anything like that. the quote people post is completely out of context. read the whole article if you don't believe me.

>>64071784

>subjectivism

kys

>>64071416

Frances The Mute is an 8, meanwhile ITCOTCK is 8.5

retard
>>
>>64071416
Frances the Mute is a great album and that's a false statement.
>>
>>64071962
the mars volta have never released a genuinely good album IMO

seriously i've tried their music it's just utter wank
>>
>>64071026
If you look at his Top Artists that tells you a great deal about his taste:

80s:
1. Foetus
2. Tom Waits
3. Nick Cave

90s:
1. Tortoise
2. Morphine
3. Bardo Pond

00s:
1. Acid Mothers Temple
2. Xiu Xiu
3. Animal Collective
These are absurdly "difficult" artists to suggest as primary examples of great pop/rock music in any decade, and though I suffer for not being able read Italian or Latin fluently, a lot of his writing is the sort of florid, adjective-laden empiricism that really should have stopped once we had the rich-media Internet. Which is to say, once it became the case that anyone - anyone with Internet access, which is hardly Everyone but relative to the number of people who could afford to buy pop music, is a higher percentage than you might realize - can listen to almost anything, your job is to make a convincing case for why a particular record or artist is more worthy than another. I don't think he's accomplished that in many cases.

We share one aspect of taste, borne of overexposure to pop music: an affinity for music that is at once cacophonous and diaphanous, which is meaningless purple nonsense, but, records like Mercury Rev's Yerself is Steam and Jon Hassell's Dream Theory In Malaya are of that sort. On the other side of the spectrum, Diamanda Galas is about the biggest red flag you can put in front of me, in terms of approaching another critic's taste. I respect her technical skill as a vocalist, but she wrote a book called The Shit of God, which is about the direst form of self-serious Goth nonsense yet unleashed on the world. Xenakis, Zorn, the entire DARK SCARY INTENSE INTELLECTUAL ART put-on bullshit funded by rich patri- and matriarchs who need to prove they "get it" is the worst cul-de-sac pop music ever ended up in.
>>
>>64072355
>great

Is a rather vague term.
>>
>>64071026
He straight-up blatantly lies all over his Beatles analysis.
>>
>>64072355
mate what the fuck is all this shit

here's the question: are the tunes gud? are the albums gud? are there some good fuckin choons on the record?

yes they do - gr8 im gonna listen to the album and if l like it enough, maybe listen to it again or even buy it

no they don't - cool then i won't listen and move on to other shit

pretension and pomposity in art is a good thing when done correctly.
>>
>>64073276

>mate
>tunes
>gud
>choons
>gr8

kill yourself
>>
>>64071058
Era Vulgaris is fucking good. People can suck my dick.
>>
>>64071090
>Adult females are more mentally developed than adolescents (not true, by the way)
topkek
>>
>>64074730
ok boss
>>
>>64071026
blablablablabla

inb4 blablablabla

How the fuck do I talk with any of you when you always say "inb4 eveyrthing" you stupid cunts?
>>
Regardless if he's ;right' or 'wrong' he's the critic rock needs imo. Also I really like that he gave Buckley some worth.
>>
>>64071035
that's actually a good album though
>>
He's right about 90% of his high ratings but he's also wrong in the 90% of his lower ratings. Seriously, he gave Revolver the same score as fucking Insane Clown Posse, he just likes doing the edgy character.
>>
>ctrl+f dubi dam dam
>0 results
This is his SOTY for 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcV6kxcRUJw
>>
His jazz taste is purely rudimentary showing no real depth or personality, more of suggesting that he just picked some contrarian albums from well recoeved artists and some classics and voila, made it

His rock taste is anus
>>
Have you ever seen what he has to say on Hip Hop? I appreciate him trying but the only insightful criticism he ever seems to have is on the instrumentals, and that's only because a lot of them sample enough jazz for him to have a something to latch onto.
>>
>>64072355
>really overlong, pompous post to say he finds scruffy's taste pretentious and artificial

how fitting
>>
>>64071843
Stop being pedantic, are you attracted to twelve year olds?
>>
>>64076073
>lyrics apologist
>>
>>64075283
2005 a shit
>>
>>64073276
>pretension
>ever a good thing
I don't think that word means what you think it means
>>
>>64076151
Most people are, secretly, you just don't dare discuss it for being shamed for the rest of your lives.
>>
>>64071026
He's wrong about a lot of things. Fuck off.
>>
>>64076387
no I understand what it means I just think that lots of great art and music would never have been created/performed if some artists weren't in someway pretentious.

pretension in art is how shit like king crimson came around
>>
>>64076387
Hey, popular music is a celebrity medium, I appreciate anyone who can take it to the limits.
>>
>>64071026

On Tortoise:

>The sextet (McEntire, Herndon, Bitney, McCombs, Pajo and black guitarist Jeff Parker) that recorded TNT (1998) had in mind the Modern Jazz Quartet and Miles Davis' historical quintet, not King Crimson or Slint, but the result was nonetheless a magisterial application of Djed's aesthetics.

>McEntire, Herndon, Bitney, McCombs, Pajo and black guitarist Jeff Parker

>black guitarist Jeff Parker

>black guitarist

Well, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>64071155
don't worry, it's a copy pasta
>>
>>64071784

>He's a self-confessed pedophile

This meme is slander, for what it's worth. Here's a link to the article in context: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/usa08.html and you can find the relevant article and section in context by using ctrl-f for "why are there age limits".
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 414x7528) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 414x7528
He's not wrong about the 90s being the best decade.
>>
http://www.scaruffi.com/music/techno.html
>>
>>64078500
he is though. have you read the thread title?
>>
>>64071026

Scaruffi-core is difficult to a lot of people because I think he likes "innovation" over other aspects of music like melody and whether a piece simply "sounds good".

This can result in his ratings being skewed from more conventional tastes in two ways:

1) His criteria are time and history-dependent. Older stuff that is more "inventive" will get nods for having been inventive, whereas later works that are "merely" refinements of this will get 7 or below, even if they are better sounding than that work and still contain many prior innovations drawn from other sources that some original 9-rated source lacked. Since it came later and didn't itself make those innovations, even very good sounding albums will get a 7.

To be fair, he has many albums from the 1980s and 1990s that get the "9" rating, but they are also lower on the ranking list for all of his 9s than items from the 1960s or 1970s.

2) "Innovation" =/= "Sounds Good". He places much, much heavier emphasis on "innovation" than on the "sounding good" part. This is why it is no surprise that Trout Mask Replica tops his list. Trout Mask Replica contains much more atonality, polyrhythm, strange vocals, and non-sensical lyricism than anything else at the time by far, so it has more "innovation" than any other album. Rock Bottom and Faust are also this way, and are extremely difficult albums that many do not find very aesthetically pleasing, but were extremely "unique".
>>
>>64075353

how is having Mingus, Coltrane, Miles, Coleman etc. in your top 10 "contrarian"?
>>
>>64079118

you're mostly right except lots of people (myself included) think albums like TMR and Faust DO sound good, they just don't sound good in a conventional pop way, and that's why people who haven't listened to a lot of music think it's "pretentious" to like it, because they don't give it a real chance, they just hear it and think "where's the melody, where's the rhythm, where's the harmony etc." all the time.

some forms of music really take a lot of listens to appreciate, and it also helps to read about how they were made and understand HOW they were innovative and what exactly makes them so important in the history of music. but that doesn't mean it can't sound pleasant to the listener.

Captain Beefheart has influenced practically EVERYONE in the history of rock from Tom Waits to Kurt Cobain, you can google it if you don't believe me, and Faust influenced a lot of much more popular bands such as Radiohead.
>>
>>64071361
i'm genuinely cracking up here. god, i love this retarded board
>>
Banaroo: Dubi Dam Dam
>>
>>64079298

True. I was just explaining why MOST people wouldn't agree with Scaruffi's ratings.
>>
File: fucking bigby.png (377 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fucking bigby.png
377 KB, 500x375
>watch his section on english-language literature
>twilight is ranked in his "best 100 english novels of ALL time"
>his own poetry book is ranked 55th in his best of poetry list
>>
>>64079420
i'm literally pissing myself
>>
>>64079118
Faust is a rockin' album,dog. I love that shit.
>>
He understands literally nothing about jazz
>>
>>64076612
good post
>>
>>64078500
he also mentions when a jazz musician is white. i forget where, but he has a foreword thing somewhere where he talks about his reasoning for this.
>>
>>64080520
can you articulate what he doesn't understand. i'm assuming you do understand a good deal about jazz so I would literally appreciate your response. thank you.
>>
He's wrong about almost everything.
>>
>>64072355
>These are absurdly "difficult" artists to suggest as primary examples of great pop/rock music in any decade
What? Do you want him to put the most popular artists of each decade.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.