[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this album worth listening to? I know it's not really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: squeeze.jpg (415 KB, 1280x1259) Image search: [Google]
squeeze.jpg
415 KB, 1280x1259
Is this album worth listening to? I know it's not really a VU albums, but I like all the other member's solo albums. Does this get unfairly hated on just because it's labeled as a VU album despite being a Yule solo album? Or is it actually really bad?
>>
it's not bad, just really plain
>>
It's so bad, that you should just avoid it. It doesn't have any charm, it's the definition of nothing special. Don't waste your time with it.
>>
It's funny that Moe Tucker was originally supposed to play on the album but their manager decided she was too expensive to hire.

It's pretty sad when you don't allow the actual members of the band to play on their own album.
>>
It's not bad in the sense that it's cringeworthy or anything like that. If you like Loaded and the parts without Lou, I don't see why you can't at least get some minimal pleasure out of it.
>>
It's pretty bland, but it's not completely awful. It has a terrible reputation for sticking out like a sore thumb on the otherwise perfect VU discography. It's the blemish on an otherwise untarnished band name so to speak.

When you set aside the historical context, you're not left with a totally horrible album or anything, just a rather uninteresting one.
>>
As has been said, it's just unexceptional. Expect VU-influenced 70s radio hard rock.

Also, it's not bad because it was Doug Yule using the VU name for his own project - the fact of the matter is, Doug Yule was a really talented musician and made some great contributions to the s/t and Loaded. Squeeze marks a low point in Yule's career in terms of quality. He's not someone who should be dismissed. Sterling Morrison even pushed for Yule to be included in the VU's R&R HoF induction, and the only reason he wasn't included is that Cale was still butthurt about being replaced, and Lou Reed is a prick (and I say that as a huge John Cale fan, and sort of a Lou Reed fan)

Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's so unexceptional but also a notable historical event as the last VU album, that I'd actually recommend just streaming it. Not worth a download, but worth hearing at least a bit of it for its historical significance
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.