[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good complete beginner dj controller? Is pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: numark controller.jpg (49 KB, 900x452) Image search: [Google]
numark controller.jpg
49 KB, 900x452
What's a good complete beginner dj controller? Is pic related any good? Where can i read up good info?
>>
File: Turntables_and_mixer.jpg (761 KB, 1988x881) Image search: [Google]
Turntables_and_mixer.jpg
761 KB, 1988x881
>>64047180
how about you start by learn how to actually dj first
>>
numark is shite
get a something from pioneer, denon, allen and heath or native instruments and learn how to beatmatch, phrase mix etc or ideally get turntables and cdjs like >>64047534 said
also please dont make generic youtube edm mix #310654, we dont need more of them
>>
>>64047586
i'll keep it all to myself, i promise
i want to start by learning exactly the things you mentioned and, if i feel like i am doing okay, i really want to move to producing my own stuff

i have a job to support it, so it's a strictly hobby thing
>>
>>64047819
you might as well just start with producing your own stuff as it will really require more effort than modern day djing will... you can literally learn to use DJ software the day before a gig and be fine.
>>
>>64047958
it does seem easy
with both software and hardware being able to literally sync for you, all you have to do is load up tracks and crossfade them

but i'm really far away from music and this would be a good chance for me to learn to listen to the beat properly, i want to beatmatch myself, etc

is there a good step-by-step retard-proof online tutorial to get into producing?
>>
>>64047958
>>64048109
even though the basic of djing, particular digitally, are pretty easy, its still a very fun hobby personally speaking, makes me listen more 'actively' and critically to dance music and gives me encouragement to go digging for cool tracks
>>
Learn phrasing so you're not just doing the generic build-up/drop formula. Listen to mixes by artists you enjoy and listen intently to how they structure their mixes (ex. not playing all your peak hour tunes in the first 30 min)

Also, your controller doesnt matter as long as you make an effort to learn to beatmatch by ear. Long throw pitch faders like on that numark should be sufficient for now
>>
So nobody actually knows how to answer OP's question
>>
>>64048203
same exact thing can be said for producing dance music tho
>>
>>64048300
the correct answer is any controller, because all digital djing is entry level
>>
>>64048310
not really
>>
ok so what controller should i get? obviously looking to save, and i get contradictions in info erry time

Some people say Pioneer is the way to go with DDJ WEGO3k, others say that this much is not required... I just need pointers desu. Or features to look for? mostly playing for friends in pretty big houses
>>
File: Novation-Twitch.jpg (333 KB, 1600x1241) Image search: [Google]
Novation-Twitch.jpg
333 KB, 1600x1241
>>64048523
I have this and it's pretty good, bypasses the dodgy cheap jog-wheels some midi DJ controllers have with the strip thing, and everything feels pretty solid
>>
>>64048575
i'm completely new to this, what do you use instead of jogwheels? the pitch tumbler?
>>
>>64048685
the 'touchstrip' part under the play button, with it you can nudge a track, or have a vinyl-like mode where you can do backspins and scratchs and shit
>>
>>64048575
also, it seems like its kind of outdated - can't find any on sale to be honest, is there a newer version i can look up with kind of the same functionality?
>>
>>64047586
numark is fine. get a mixtrack pro
>>
>>64047180
>dj controller
But twoturntables and a mixer.

>>64047534
>vertical
lol nerd
>>
>>64048801
oh thats weird didn't know it was discontinued, still available online in some UK stores but IDK about for wherever you're from, and no can think of a similar alternative really, but i've not paid to much attention to new releases since i bought mine a few years ago
>>
>>64048911
I'm from Amsterdam.
If it covers the needs of a beginner, i can grab one used from a local marketplace for like 100 euro. Worth it? How much are the new ones in the UK? It's all sold out here so far, the only one i found was for 289 euro.
>>
>>64048942
if it's in good condition for 100 euro I'd say its definitely worth it, check out some demo videos though and see if you're into it, and for some shameless self promotion check out what i do with it https://www.mixcloud.com/mannerisms/
>>
>>64048997
>https://www.mixcloud.com/mannerisms/
That is pretty sweet! Exactly the stuff i'm looking to get into. How long does (finding music + putting together a mix) a set usually take? Say, like your latest House one.
>>
>>64049069
I don't think you understand the idea behind djing very well.
How about you just stop.
>>
>>64049069
I had a fair bit of spare time around then so not too long, tbqh found most of the tracks for the latest mix through the Funkysouls house EPs and singles thread - http://forum.funkysouls.com/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=53&t=353661 - but I found over tracks through other DJ mixes, Juno, RA and stuff, and I kind of winged it from there, took a couple of takes and it came together, it was just a bit of fun. you've just got to pay attention to the structure of the tracks and when changes happen and you can get a good flow going
>>
>>64049176
thank you for your advice

>>64049106
i was specifically asking about the time it takes to build a decent library in comparison to runtime

e.g. "1 hour of playtime is 2 hours of tracks, with 2 more hours of backup in case you need to wiggle it a bit depending on the audience, and that takes like a week to find, sort and listen through to"
>>
>>64049218
>i was specifically asking about the time it takes to build a decent library in comparison to run time
Not him, but I do play semi-regular sets at clubs.

When I go to the club I usually bring 20-30 records, that's about 3 tunes per record on average, so that's about 60-90 tunes, that's about 5 hours worth of music.
I usually play for an hour or two, rewinds are very common on my big tunes.
>>
>>64049176
You the wanker who keeps posting "tfw no club to book me to play nodata tunes on my $190 dj controller" or something like that in /bleep/
>>
>>64049313
no, i don't use nodata, paid a bit more than that for my thing, and don't seek out bookings
>>
I've played around with it a little bit and it feels very "plasticy" compared to the real deal.

But as for learning the basics of beatmatching, songselection and so forth it'd say it's good. It gets the job done, but it's nothing you'd wanna take to a gig (implying you bring your own stuff, all places i've played has a pre setup, but i'm fairly new to the business)
>>
>>64049436
How long did it take you to be comfortable with the equipment enough to play in front of other people? People say it's quite easy, but i'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Also, how do you go about djing at a place? Where do you even start?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.