[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Facts about this guy and his music.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 7
File: daniel.jpg (19 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
daniel.jpg
19 KB, 400x297
Facts about this guy and his music.
>>
the fact is I like his music
>>
>he's fat
>his music is awesome
>>
He's known to wear a hat
>>
>>64005984

Be real, it doesn't matter anyway
>>
excellent musician, bit of an arrogant asshole
>>
File: ONEOHTRIX-POINT-NEVER.jpg (46 KB, 620x701) Image search: [Google]
ONEOHTRIX-POINT-NEVER.jpg
46 KB, 620x701
Handsome as fuck
>>
He might be a nihilist because his music is.
>>
>>64005984
he dresses like a normie man-baby
>>
>>64006219
How so? His views seem a lil SJW but I don't see anything necessarily arrogant
>>
>>64006957
i meant in person, he is arrogant and condescending. he may deserve to be, idk
source if anyone is curious: i work live visuals / eq for nyc venues
>>
>>64006219
First time I've seen someone else say this, met him after a show in Minneapolis, he reminded me of Tim Heidecker's character in The Comedy
>>
Watch his red bull academy lecture
>>
i heard he has a weird lookin penis
you didn't hear that from me
>>
So who is this cuck?
>>
>>64007369
Well duh Tim and him are friends you dummy
>>
He's a white male.
>>
>>64007337
Are you going to work that ween show at Terminal 5?
>>
i really like him and what he does. i hope he is not a complete dick.
>>
he gives good music and movie recs
>>
he was/is dating laurel halo
>>
>>64006264
get off here daniel
>>
>>64005984
dude looks like Marcus Aurelius
>>
>>64005984
he's from Wayland MA which is an affluent community full of jews, asians, and jew-asian hybrids
>>
Fact: He walked right by me at Field Day 2014 but I didn't say hi
>>
>>64005984
He's the most interesting experimental electronic artist of this decade
>>
dan is a pretty big guy but he has so petite hands
>>
>>64008924
got a pic that shows that cuz I've never noticed
>>
Not about him but he's named after a radio station in Boston (106.7 -> One oh trix point never) and I always used to hear that jingle in the morning when my parents would drive me to elementary school
>>
>>64007525
get of this board

>>64009390
nice

love his music and he seemed pretty much my type in that red bull lecture. Would hang out with/10
>>
Who's this fuck, I'm generally interested
>>
>>64009207
just an observation from the red bull academy video. love the guy :)
>>
>>64009673
Daniel Lopatin aka Oneohtrix Point Never
If you like uncategorized electronic experimentalism you should check him out
>>
>>64009673
c'mon son!
daniel Lupatin aka Oneohtrix Point Never aka Chuck Person

>>64009715
>uncategorized electronic experimentalism
that's a bit over the top senpai. He makes ambient/ new age/ vaporwave. But he's not blant at all. Check the sample. He's pretty amazing. A bit entry level, but I'm still a big fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Rhcvq5owE
>>
>>64009673
you know how the big electronic producers years ago were aphex twin, boards of canada, etc. now the big producers are this guy, flying lotus, etc.
>>
>>64007337
>he may deserve to be
what a joke
>>
He probably browses.
>>
His hands are abnormally small
>>
>>64005984
dan pls unfreeze eccojams v2. vry much obliged sir thank you.
>>
>>64008860
I was there

did you see Omar Souleyman before him?
was fucking hilarious seeing Four Tet with his daughter on his shoulders just gurning at him to the side of the stage

the crowd was fucking shit for OPN, typical hackey ponces trying to show off their indian-style dance moves thinking they were at Bestival or some shit trying to impress the bird next to them
was glad to see half of them leave after they released he was nothing like Souleyman

both were great though
>>
>>64005984
I've heard he has a weird dick. He's known to post hiaku's on his private tumblr. I've heard he's a bit of a money first sort of guy, but then again you kinda have to be to make it in the music industry now. His Celtics hat is pretty rare. He made Eccojams while he was at work, or at least the brunt of it. He can speak both Russian and English. He went to Pratt for library sciences. That's all I can think of
>>
>>64011406
what was his job while making eccojams?
>>
what's with all the people itt saying he's a dick, he seems comfy as fuck :(
>>
>>64011444
nothing wrong with being a dick, we all do it
>>
>>64008819
jew-asian hybrid here
just wanted to say hey
>>
personality wise, he's odd. i'll read one interview with him and he'll seem chill and really down to earth, and then i'll read another and he'll sound totally up his own arse.

also found it strange that he used to say that he never really listened to boc and found it strange that his earlier stuff was compared to them, but after he signed with warp he now talks about what an influence they were lol.
>>
>>64011420
An archivist iirc
>>
>>64005984
his latest album sucks—the first 5 albums were objectively better, and R+7 was okay as well.

went to see him in san francisco, his show was just drunken, distorted yelling while his music video of sticky drama just played on screens, sideways.

luckily, prince james ferraro opened for him, playing off of skid row (but still semi-fresh material). this was soon after the paris attacks, so he did a really good job of curating the atmosphere
>>
>>64011704
GoD is his best album since Replica m80
>>
>>64011811
GoD is an insipid piece of shit that takes itself far too seriously. i can't even count the layers of irony he tortured out of that album.

but i don't want to insult your taste, so please tell me why you prefer it to R+7 (of which i'm no fan).

on a side note, vanilla call option is rene hell's worst, while his tapes like lucifer pt. II are best
>>
>>64011811
>I want the kid that works at the mall to like this record.
>>
>>64011811
my issue with god was that he was trying to deconstruct genres such as big room techno/house and edm and place them into different contexts (i believe he mentioned being inspired by skrillex productions while browsing vevo) and so portions of the album sorta ended up sounding like.....well, big room techno which isn't super appealing.
>>
what's that about his dick?
>>
>>64011883
The Kaoss Edge thing was gay but the album itself is amazing.

>>64011619
I think he just has a very eccentric way of viewing the world and his life. He's definitely an oddball. I agree he comes off as arrogant though.
>>
>>64009390
He made the name because the jingle was stuck in his head, too.
>>
Rplus7 > Replica > GoD
>>
>>64014907
Switch Replica and R+7 and you're all good
>>
>>64011692
I heard he was working at a sandwich shop, but I'm prolly wrong

Daniel Lopatin while a really good musician does have a pretty predictable palette when it comes to his music. Most of his stuff just sits in the uncanny valley, which is pretty cool but it kinda seems like he's abused it to the point where it's no longer fun. For me GoD was a huge let down I was expecting way harder cyberpunk vibes and a much larger amount of guitar, but what we got was some weird vocoder BS. To me the album seems a bit shit out, and without the Kaoss Edge stuff it would've failed harder.

Don't get me wrong I expect him to change his sound almost every album but I think he's really boxed himself in at this point with "what genre can I turn the tropes on it's head next" shpeel. To me it's less about experimenting and finding new things then it is hear what's going to be the next move through his lense.

Part of me feels like he was hanging out with AG cook a little too much before this album came out, like I love AG's stuff but it's very hard to imagine it under the OPN wheel house, and to me it falls flat.
>>
>>64014907
GoD > Some songs off Replica > R+7 > Rest of Replica
>>
>>64015008 (part 2)
For me the reason I really started getting into OPN was when he was drawing from a very interesting palette of sounds and shaping them interestingly. I think R plus 7 is a masterpiece and I'll be shocked if he ever tops it (in my books.) I wish I could describe what makes it so much better thant GoD to me, but all I can really come up with is it's much more interesting palette.

To me it comes up like a very true art/experimental piece, when compared to GoD which seems like a lot of sounds smashed together for the sake of creating an ADHD atmosphere. Sure he could defend it by just simply repeating what I said, but I think the overall sound of that record is just completely lacking.
>>
>>64011406
>His Celtics hat is pretty rare

yikes.
>>
>>64014907
Replica > GoD > R+7 = Eccojams > Returnal
>>
>>64015080
I'm sorry have you seen that particular hat around? You seem to know so much about basketball caps
>>
>>64015077
GoD is pretty messy and aggressive, but there's a real tastefulness to it. A lot of the instruments sound like they could be in a metal or industrial album or whatever, but he uses them differently. I think the moments where it's just a wall of noise are spaced apart enough to not be quite so ADHD.

R+7 is really great too, but it's just a different style.

I agree with you in particular for I Bite Through It. It's a contrast from all of his other work. But I still like the song on its own. And it's probably the only one on the album I'd call "ADHD smashed", except maybe parts of the chorus and some of the melodies in Sticky Drama.
>>
>>64015220
I bite through it is actually one of my favorites on the album haha.
>>
>>64005984
this is his girlfriend's twitter

https://twitter.com/clemencepoles
>>
>>64015288
It's one of my favorites too. It's just what comes to mind when I think "a lot of sounds smashed together for the sake of creating an ADHD atmosphere".
>>
>>64015295
isn't laurel halo his girlfriend?
>>
>>64014907
>no returnal (which belongs at the top)

hóla rèddit!
>>
>>64006264
damn daniel
ok i'll leave
>>
>>64015316
ye I think at one point in time, not anymore though.
>>
https://clyp.it/r12jn4nw
>>
His latest live shows have been thoroughly disappointing.
>>
>>64015480
Yes, we've already read your posts.
>>
>>64015482
i have never expected his live shows to be good, he's always seemed like more an artist you want to experience through his production stylings on record...not really exciting to listen to his music, it's more of an experience, ambience.
>>
>>64015482
from what I've seen his live shows seem way better than GoD imo
>>
File: fgE9V5x.png (3 KB, 829x61) Image search: [Google]
fgE9V5x.png
3 KB, 829x61
my obsession
this is just in 2 years, i got last.fm in july 2014
>>
That guy browses /mu/ and sometimes even jokingly leaked his albums here before producing them for the normies
>>
>>64015712
His r+7 were super cool

>>64015714
But it was still all GoD
>>
>>64015482
All the recordings make it out to be cool as fuck, especially with the midi guitar
>>
>>64009390
>>64014747
I think he specifically said he was at the dentist having some work done and they had that radio station on the whole time and he was pretty fucked from the painkillers they used so it got stuck in his brain.

I might be wrong but I also think that was partially the inspiration for Eccojams, hearing snatches of yesterday's favorites over the speaker and having them echo in his doped up head.
>>
>>64015077
>but all I can really come up with is it's much more interesting palette
In my opinion their aspirations are just different. In terms of the philosophical palette he drew from, GoD had the same issue as Ferraro's post-R&B streak in that it's far too focused on meta deconstructionism. What made releases like Replica and R+7 so great is that they did have that certain aspect of purposefully deconstructing the dialectic of musical 'ideologies' (the vapidness of commercials and the imitative/simulacra quality of MIDI) but they aspired to something beyond that. Even taken out of their philosophical and historical framing, both albums stand up on their own for their simple musical and emotional qualities. They can invoke something outside of the artist.

With GoD all it really aspires for is capturing abstractions of historical moments/places in time and putting them through a musical dialectical method. It was interesting the first time or two, but it's too flimsy of a trick to rely entirely on, and I feel GoD is going to suffer the same fate as Ferraro's post-R&B stuff in that, once we've moved past the ability to relate to whatever historical moment they're relying on there will be no substance left
>>
>>64016100
hey dan
>>
>>64016100
Wow, that's exactly how I feel about those records, you described it to a T
>>
>>64016100
you've phrased my issues in a really articulate and succinct manner, yet
>With GoD all it really aspires for is capturing abstractions of historical moments/places in time and putting them through a musical dialectical method.
i felt even the concept and philosophy, if you will, of g.o.d. was sort of flimsy - at least if you went into it "blind." i didn't really understand his intentions with g.o.d until i read the accompanying interviews that came along with the release cycle.
>>
Where are those vocals in Sticky Drama from?
>>
>>64015714
Garden of Delete is his weakest release desu
>>
>>64016425
He made them himself using vocaloid (or vocaloid-esque) software. He wrote the lyrics.
>>
>>64006132
underrated

I don't wanna be all cheesy but, like, y'all get the reference right?
>>
>>64016487
nice
also genius.com has full lyrics for this song. wtf?
did he release them somewhere? a booklet with the cd?
I can't discern shit from the actual song
>>
>>64016155
sup
>>64016278
That's a good point. With R+7 it was easier to pick out the philosophical point(s) of the album purely from the music itself, which is really the sign of how effective you can suffuse the two otherwise disparate trajectories. But if you do it wrong those disparities become almost grating and abrasive in how ill-fit they are, which is what I felt at certain points throughout GoD. Child of Rage and Ezra might be the only tracks I didn't gain much of that feeling. But particularly with the Chipspeak vocals there was a distinct sense of there not being any real utility to its existence in the context of the album, which is really only made up for with how he later represents it in its extramusical context
>>
>>64016518
yea, I love that jojo song
>>64016587
yeah, they're online and with the CD, record, whatever.
>>
>>64007475
>>64011406
source?
>>
also, he's working with fka twigs, which means i'm excited
>>
>>64016883
He needs to work with Arca, his sound design coupled with Daniel being actually capable of consistently writing good stuff would be GOAT
>>
>>64016883
>also, he's working with fka twigs

Gross.
>>
>>64016100
I think your reading of GoD is kind of misleading. To me it feels more like a purely stylistic, conceptual album, contrary to the formal experimentation of R+7. The historical pastiche is there, but the historicity of it is not the focus.
>>
File: Tobacco_large.jpg (21 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
Tobacco_large.jpg
21 KB, 500x300
>>64016999

and this guy too
>>
>>64017659
I'd be 100% for this, but I don't know how well their styles would vibe.
>>
>>64017699

maybe something like this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aU-3h4-8ow
>>
>>64017889
This is more Boards of Canada than it is OPN, but you could say that about almost all of Tobacco.

I'd want more heavy glitch stuff.
>>
>>64017646
What makes you think so? To me GoD seems like nothing more than the historicity of the aesthetics he's drawing from. All the major stylistic elements of it come from very specific but very distinct historical moments, which is more apparent in the visuals (like the IDM kids) that have accompanied the release. But the actual methodology of using them in his music is a direct translation of the dialectical method, which he's made vague and indirect references to in the past, and which considers nothing more than their own historicity. Look at the music video for Sticky Drama You can't be too much heavier handed in exploring a historical moment in time than tomogachis covered in green slime and soundfont harps accompanied by LARPing

R+7 had much less focus on adopting specific genres as historical entities and more focus on the particular stylistic results of genres. The entire timbral considerations of the album lay in MIDI as a style and in its aspirations to mimic acoustic instruments. But the album doesn't make any explicit references to MIDI's historicity, or even indirect references to genres that utilize(d) it legitimately. In fact, his use of microediting the MIDI data itself seems like a direct attempt to remove MIDI from its historical associations and bring into consideration only its timbral qualities
>>
File: 1459799658241.jpg (15 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1459799658241.jpg
15 KB, 325x325
>>64005984
He was bored one day so he created vaporwave.

Loving or hating him for that is your call.
>>
>>64018651
>What makes you think so? To me GoD seems like nothing more than the historicity of the aesthetics he's drawing from. All the major stylistic elements of it come from very specific but very distinct historical moments, which is more apparent in the visuals (like the IDM kids) that have accompanied the release. But the actual methodology of using them in his music is a direct translation of the dialectical method, which he's made vague and indirect references to in the past, and which considers nothing more than their own historicity. Look at the music video for Sticky Drama You can't be too much heavier handed in exploring a historical moment in time than tomogachis covered in green slime and soundfont harps accompanied by LARPing

I feel like you're reading into it too much. He's repeatedly stated that:

- The album was about some of his personal experiences and adolescence in general
- His music videos don't necessarily relate much to the song itself (can't find the interview where he said this, but I read it recently).

You can see some of that in the interview below.

I don't really see it as trying to be history-themed at all, other than perhaps general appreciation of youth.

>>64016425
He explains exactly how he made the track here: https://soundcloud.com/hrishihirway/song-exploder-oneohtrix-point-never

>>64016999
That could be pretty amazing.
>>
>>64014706
I didn't really like GoD but I thought the Kaoss Edge thing and website was kind of cool and at least different.

Also

>No talk of the We Can Play EP
>>
>>64018854
I don't see why that excludes anything I've said. He's stated in reference to earlier albums that he often has multiple layers of meaning on his album, both personal and non personal, and he has an obvious preference for presenting an album's personal meanings over its non-personal meanings. He's made references to Adorno and DeLanda who both advocate for a similar post-Hegelian treatment of art, so what reason do you have to believe GoD is an exception?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0q0O4V5Qs

producing the new Antony album with Hudson Mohawke

this song and 'drone bomb me' are really fucking good
>>
>>64018651
kinda sounds like you don't rly understand what MIDI is. The idea that is has inherent "timbral qualities" is kind of absurd imo.
>>
I don't even get trying to chose an objective magnum opus with OPN since a huge focus of his is doing something nearly incomparable to his last effort. I imagine completely different worlds when I listen to each album, and appreciate them all for different reasons.
>>
i saw a clip on instagram of opn playing live and it was sort of black metal?

when did this happen? last i heard he was making ambient to try to win laurel halo's affections
>>
>>64019947
>The idea that is has inherent "timbral qualities" is kind of absurd imo
In the context of what I'm talking about, not really. I assume you think I'm meaning MIDI=soundfonts. But a big point of his use of MIDI on R+7 and the GoD MIDIs was microediting. As in, hand editing otherwise automatic MIDI performance data to be used with programs like Omnisphere that you can custom configure to it, which is something I've personally messed with before. He also uses the term himself to refer generally to synthesis that is trying to replicate acoustic instrumentation, which is only being discussed in terms of its distinct timbral qualities, or lack thereof
>>
>>64020330
Shut up Daniel you pretentious fuck
>>
>>64020380
Oh okay. I was about to upload Eccojams Vol. 2 but I'm just going to delete it forever now. It was at 20%. Bye guys
>>
>>64020418
Eccojams is shit, leave and take your memes with you
>>
hey f am, any other albums with the kind of midi sounds you find on R+7, GoD and Far Side Virtual? good music made exclusively or almost exclusively with soundfonts?
>>
>>64015963
yeah, being there live is a far more brutal experience, which is what I think he was going for.
>>
>>64006957
I like how you equate arrogance and social liberalism
>>
>>64022012
what's the fucking difference you cunt
>>
>>64020177
listen to his latest album. Garden of delete
>>
File: OPN - GOD Lyrics.png (312 KB, 5675x2831) Image search: [Google]
OPN - GOD Lyrics.png
312 KB, 5675x2831
>>64016587
here you go senpai
>>
>>64020418

Pic or didnt happen
>>
>>64015482
I went to the show he did a couple weeks ago in Brooklyn. If anything, my expectations were exceeded. Seeing all the vocal effects and guitar noises done live was absolutely nuts.
>>
>>64018978
>We Can Play EP
what?
>>
>>64011883
agree. If the compositions in GoD appeared in a hans zimmer action movie score no one into music would like it and it wouldn't even seem out of place.

I used to think OPN was really good, but since getting better at production and listening to more people in his genre I realized there are so many people whose music just shits all over anything he's done.
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.