[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
indie pop thread anyone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: ER-1123C.jpg (289 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ER-1123C.jpg
289 KB, 1000x1000
indie pop thread anyone?
>>
>>
Sarah Records is the best
>>
>>63960250
Indeed. I think their best LPs are:
1. The Field Mice - For Keeps
2. The Orchids - Unholy Soul
3. St. Christopher - Bacharach
4. Heavenly - The Decline and Fall of Heavenly
5. Even As We Speak - Feral Pop Frenzy
>>
how about that new eleanor friedberger album

it's not too bad
>>
>>63960346
No Blueboy? I agree with all those though.
>>
>>63960450
I do need to listen to Blueboy some more. Matt and Clare said that Unisex was the best album released on the label, so perhaps I should rank it higher.
>>
Can this be a recc thread?
I absolutely love Belle and Sebastian and the Magnetic Fields so I've been digging a bit more into the genre and I really like the first Beat Happening album and Heavenly's Atta Girl EP, what are some other essential stuff? Preferably songwriting oriented stuff with more bored than obnoxious vocals and bare bones rather than noisy.
>>
File: 9781628922202.jpg (75 KB, 420x634) Image search: [Google]
9781628922202.jpg
75 KB, 420x634
>>63960250
Popkiss is a pretty cute book and I've been stuck in a Sarah rut ever since I read it.
Except for when I'm listening to the new Bobby Wratten album, but that might as well count as being stuck on Sarah.
Still, this Lightning in a Twilight Hour album is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKM2Z0hSwOk
>>
>>63960673
I got a copy of that book for Christmas. It was fantastic to learn about the bands and some information about what it was like in the studio. I really appreciated the chapter on the Field Mice.

Have you watched the My Secret World documentary?
>>
>>63959803
That's a lovely record, and I kind of hold a candle for the first one too. Them instrumental sequences.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>63960778
I haven't checked out the documentary yet but I've been meaning to for a while now.

Popkiss made me reevaluate some of the Sarah bands I wasn't too fond of the first time around. Especially The Orchids.
The Field Mice chapter was definitely my favorite though, but that was just affirming my bias for Wratten more than anything.
>>
>>63960667
Obvious, but Simon and Garfunkel, or the first Paul Simon solo album.
>>
>>63961123
Is Bridge over Troubled Water the best one or just the most well known?
>>
>>63960778
do you have a link for the documentary?
>>
File: grand prix.png (258 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
grand prix.png
258 KB, 600x600
This, Songs From Northern Britain and Bandwagonesque are my indie/ power pop holy trinity

I wish /mu/ cared more about them :(
>>
File: The Field Mice.png (183 KB, 605x298) Image search: [Google]
The Field Mice.png
183 KB, 605x298
>>63961056
It took a bit for The Orchids to sink in for me too. Then I picked a vinyl copy of Unholy Soul from a record store and sat down and gave the thing my utmost attention. Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

The Field Mice's songs already make me cry like a bitch before reading about their troubled years together. Believe it or not I didn't know that Bobby dated both Clare and Annemari. The waning and waxing of the relationships among them and Hiscock gave me a lot of feelies. Annemari describing her anxiety disorder moved me a lot too, as someone who also suffers from that.
>>
Love Love Love
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mei_fYuQBss
>>
>>63961272
I...er... only have a 2 disc compilation. It's real good. Sources suggest Bookends is the best album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJGSHMgbB0E
>>
File: Nosoträsh_Popema_front.jpg (257 KB, 1217x1059) Image search: [Google]
Nosoträsh_Popema_front.jpg
257 KB, 1217x1059
Spanish indie pop is best indie pop
>>
>>63960250
I always think of Sarah and K being a sort of brother/sister to each other.

How do yall feel about Beat Happening? At first I mostly like its for the 'political' aspect, but over time I've come to love the music itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlQnmEKSBak
>>
>>63960667
Young Marble Giants, Dolly Mixture, Yo la Tengo
>>
>>63961613
>Beat Happening

I've never heard their first album, is it worth a listen?
>>
>>63961613
there's a political aspect to beat happening?

idk, jamboree is one of my all-time fav albums tho. you turn me on isn't far behind, and the s/t too
>>
>>63961707
Yeah their first album is wonderful.
>>
>>63961707
Yes one of my favorite albums of all time, honestly. Its more basic than their later stuff, but it has its own flavor.

>>63961710
Really just music politics, like deconstructing and redefining 'punk' (and some gender stuff to go with it), promoting the DIY ethic, building local infrastructure and pride, etc. The 33 1/3 book on it is really good, I recommend it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.