[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scaruffi general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: Piero_Scaruffi_2.jpg (7 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
Piero_Scaruffi_2.jpg
7 KB, 209x204
What is /mu/ general consensus on this man?
>>
>>63949379
Edgy fedora
>>
File: dancemasterpiece.png (15 KB, 311x171) Image search: [Google]
dancemasterpiece.png
15 KB, 311x171
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXHjI0mIWw
>>
Biggest ruseman of modern times
>>
>>63949379
right about everything except nu-metal
>>
he's the king of patricians
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
Hack
>>
>>63949544
I think OP wants sincere opinions, not post-ironic memery
>>
>>63949379
Scaruffi is pretty hit or miss, and he's not as consistent as some people give him credit for. But occasionally, he can give a level of insight which is unusual among music critics, and the fact that he can have original opinions to begin with sets him far above people like Fantano
>>
Hes always right. Poptimists btfo
>>
>>63949541
His opinion on Korn is spot on
Their first album was a minor masterpiece, all the rest is hot garbage
>>
>>63949521
hahahaha, underrated post.
>>
>>63949379
he doesn't even know music genres
>>
File: 1460223228439.jpg (25 KB, 512x397) Image search: [Google]
1460223228439.jpg
25 KB, 512x397
>>63949379
All critics in general are garbage... Make up your own damn mind on the album first then you have a right to read a review on it. If you read it first your a sheep.
>>
>>63949379
he has some interesting thoughts and is pretty opinionated which is cool, but he always came off as an elitist blowhard
>>
>>63949379
I got drunk one time and used his quotes as tinder pickup lines
http://www.scaruffi.com/quotes.html

the beatles quote was my about me. good times
>>
>>63951111
cringe

also checked
>>
File: lusty_negro_attitudes.png (131 KB, 293x308) Image search: [Google]
lusty_negro_attitudes.png
131 KB, 293x308
>>63949379
>>
DUDE CIRCUS MUSIC LMAO
>>
he has opinions I disagree with, but oh well. There is no such thing as authority in the world of music. His opinions is just as valuable as mine or anyone else's. We shouldn't worship or hate him, but instead allow him to bring us insight.
>>
Fuck him. He's a

>pedophile
>poseur
>AVant teen in a old mans body
>trash
>>
File: scuffy.png (502 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
scuffy.png
502 KB, 700x525
He's a lot better than Pitchfork, Christgau, or most other music review sites because he tends to underrate rather than overrate.

Anyone who does that is bound to insult enjoyable music from time to time, but in the end it's definitely better that people drone someone who only gives good music high scores instead of a site/person that gives insanely high scores to undeserving things.

The Beatles essay is pretty ridiculous and has a ton of factual errors though, I'm not someone who is insane about the band but they are pretty damn influential and definitely better than he pretends.

The worst part is that he dropped Revolver from a 7 to a 5 because he probably thought it would give his essay more credibility even if it wasn't accurate.
>>
>>63951111
did it work
>>
>>63951781
And you're a shitposter with shit taste and shit memes
I'd say he's better
>>
>>63951781
Source on the pedophile, didn't know bout this
>>
>>63951870
got 8 matches but ended up deleting my account the next morning
>>
He got me listening to music which I would have probably otherwise either never heard of or ignored. Some of that music I really like, so I appreciate him for that
>>
>>63951898
why would you do that?
>>
>>63951896
>why can't i marry a 12 year old
>>
>>63951923
idk... Gonna do it again next week. will probably post screenies if i git matches
>>
File: 1457406312948.jpg (158 KB, 908x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457406312948.jpg
158 KB, 908x1000
>>63951053
Critics are not about droning opinions you dumb shit
>>
>>63951951
do it but don't sperg out this time.

I'm going to also use his quotes as pick-up lines
>>
>>63951851
>The Beatles essay is pretty ridiculous and has a ton of factual errors though
I literally spent a whole day checking all his claims; you're full of shit, there are only two or three very minor errors. Also, his essay actually isn't that negative. It sounds very negative because The Beatles are the most solidified institution in popular music, and anything short of worship is bound to make people mad. His scores aren't actually that bad and are pretty consistent with his rating system, with a 5/10 for Revolver being the only arguable one. I like the Beatles, but they really are overrated af.
>>
>>63952006
He actually makes the same claim that Beatles fanatics make (that they made very good ditties with catchy melodies)

He spends too much of the essay complaining about rock critics and the public perception of them (for example how they always thought that they were being innovative when in fact lesser known underground bands were actually doing innovative things, also Beatle-mania and being the first boy-band)
>>
>>63951896
>Source on the pedophile, didn't know bout this

(not true, by the way)
Read this article of him against gay marriage:
http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/usa08.html#usa1108c
>>
File: 1460211821899.png (317 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1460211821899.png
317 KB, 500x373
>>63951980
>Critics are not about droning opinions
pitchfork threads are still a thing so...
>>
what does he mean by "muzak"? I often stumble upon this word on his essays. does it mean very simple music?
>>
>>63952127
elevator music
>>
>>63952097
oh lord the comic sans...
>>
File: tumblr_m4cdsvjYCU1rp6di5o1_500.jpg (88 KB, 486x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4cdsvjYCU1rp6di5o1_500.jpg
88 KB, 486x700
While I disagree with many of his reviews/scores (who doesn't disagree with a critic anyway? ) and his emphasis in originality above all.

I really like his historical approach to music. I can't think of too many critics in music (or outside of it) who actually chronicle innovation like he does.

And I also like his scoring system desu. Too many critics give 9s and 10s away like free candy. Everything can't be special.
>>
Scaruffi at it again with the underage azn girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sAA3Yv0A-Q
>>
>>63952846
6.5/10
>>
>>63952846
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>63952846
he probably showed her the linguini right there in the middle of the forest
>>
>>63952846
Hiking with Yoko Ono?
>>
File: thefacthat.jpg.png (63 KB, 349x224) Image search: [Google]
thefacthat.jpg.png
63 KB, 349x224
>>63952006
This is correct
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.