[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into NYHC, /mu/? What are some essential bands and LPs/EPs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: NYHC.jpg (26 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
NYHC.jpg
26 KB, 620x388
How do I into NYHC, /mu/? What are some essential bands and LPs/EPs I should check out? Any live or compilation albums worth listening to? Any insights you have on the scene's relation to the DC or west coast scenes?
>>
Are you looking for fast youth crew bands or heavy and slow bands
>>
>>63933368
Fast as hell. Also, I read a New Yorker piece about the scene and plan on picking up the book it mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/NYHC-York-Hardcore-1980-1990/dp/1935950126
>>
agnostic front - united blood ep/victim in pain

warzone - lower east side crew ep/don't forget the struggle, don't forget the streets lp

cro-mags- the age of quarrel lp (the demos are worth a listen, i actually almost prefer them)
>>
youth of today - break down the walls
>>
>>63933468
Thanks. Listening to The Age of Quarrel as I read these suggestions. I'll be sure to check out the demos.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhaqkgVcPs
>>
>>63933544
Is "We're Not in This Alone" good too?
>>
>>63933232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sFpvu7Jk-Y

pretty good album
>>
I think the best era of NYHC was from 1981-1986
Here's a list of my recommendations
The Mob
False Prophets
Kraut
Urban Waste
Armed Citizens
Cause for Alarm
Savage Circle
The Beastie Boys (I'm NOT kidding. They started out as a hardcore band before going all rap/hip-hop. Check out the album "Some Old Bullshit" which is a re-issue of their very first e.p., "Pollywog Stew" and their second e.p. "Cookie Puss")
Bad Brains are originally from D.C. but are considered an honorary NYHC band, so check out the self titled debut, which was originally a cassette release known as "The ROIR Tape". This was put out at least a year before "Rock for Light", and it has most of those songs, but much better versions. And get a copy of the compilation "Let The Eat Jellybeans" for the ORIGINAL version of the song "Pay to Cum". Also check out the C.D. "Black Dots" for early demos. You'll understand why they were a favorite amongst the punks back in the day.
YOu might also want to hunt down The Young and The Useless who had a demo called "Real Men Don't Floss". I think some of them later went on to form Murphy's Law who's early stuff is worth a listen.

After 1985 it all turned into this whole Strait Edge/L.E.S. Crew macho cliqueish bullshit that I can't relate to, but I'm sure idiots are gonna recommend Warzone, Youth of Today, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, and other crap of that ilk. That's where I think it started to suck, but that's only my opinion.
>>
>>63934326
Thanks for giving some earlier era recommendations!
>>
>>63933232
gorilla biscuits - start today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v3NGffcb1Q
>>
>>63934326
pretty much
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.