[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought the album today, on the first track and going through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: gore.png (771 KB, 630x630) Image search: [Google]
gore.png
771 KB, 630x630
Bought the album today, on the first track and going through it now.

Loving it so far, awesome intro.
>>
OP here, finished ripping the album.

https://u.pomf.is/izmmrf.flac
https://u.pomf.is/ohipod.flac
https://u.pomf.is/icapsn.flac
https://u.pomf.is/oifjvr.flac
https://u.pomf.is/xfdoaq.flac
https://u.pomf.is/dzxhsr.flac
https://u.pomf.is/sywmge.flac
https://u.pomf.is/lbfukz.flac
https://u.pomf.is/zsjzlv.flac
https://u.pomf.is/cxtjcd.flac
https://u.pomf.is/rlsddp.flac
>>
Acid Hologram is my favorite so far.
>>
File: =.jpg (118 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
=.jpg
118 KB, 1200x720
>>63926114
>>
File: thanksmang.jpg (26 KB, 446x336) Image search: [Google]
thanksmang.jpg
26 KB, 446x336
>>63926282
>>
>>63926848
I have to agree with this
>>
>>63926848
>>63927178

Was my least favorite on first listen, now I'd put maybe 3 tracks below it.
Pittura Infamate is easily the least special one on the album, though.
>>
>>63927230

And thank you, OP >>63926282
! Can't wait to hear it in great quality now!
>>
>>63927260
You're most welcome!
>>
The first song is pretty weak. The rest is okay.

Good album. 7/10 so far.
>>
>>63927230
Agreefag here still agreeing
I've given the album a few listens and have yet to really enjoy Pittura
>>
Struck me as an alright/okish album. I feel like Deftones needs some new ideas. Other than Koi No Yokan, all the rest of the post-White Pony albums kind of blend together for me.
>>
>>63927549
I'd say SNW is probably one of the best post-Pony albums. This is a solid release though for me.
>>
listened to it in my friend's car last night, shit was tight
one of their best imo, only tracks that were kind of eh were tracks 2 and 3.
>>
>>63927610
For me, there is really not much between STA, SNW, Gore and Diamond Eyes. I think they're all solid-ish, but not solidly great, but just solidly okay... If that makes sense. The quality rarely fluctuates, I usually enjoy it all to this luke-warm level.

KNY was special imo, it had some really different song structures to what I expected which pulled me in.
>>
Phantom Bride, Hearts / Wires and Acid Hologram are my most played so far.

I'm really really enjoying this record.
>>
>>63927704
STA?

But I said this before and I'll say it again:
If DE was an album that was an attempt to hit each of Deftones' 'bases' (instead of coming together that way on SNW), then KNY was the same formula, but moving each song towards a more averaged middle ground (for the most part; maybe doing that but also adding that dash of proggy moments back in). Gore does this yet AGAIN – so that each song feels of the same general style – but it's kind of cool to hear them really riff on this one for the album.

I kinda like that Stephen has had to resist and chill for this one, mostly just adding to the textures filling this album.
++ that fucking guitar solo on Phantom Bride! Now that was a pretty unexpected sound IMO

That song, Hearts/Wires, & (L)Mirl are my favorites.
>>
>>63926114
Now Gore is my fav after SNW. It's far more better than DE and KNY and i never really liked ATF, Pony and S/T, though they have some great songs.
>>
>>63928090
Self-Titled Album

I'll keep listening and see if my mind changes. I agree about the riffing and guitar work being at it's richest and most textured. But it wasn't enough to stop it from meshing together for me.

I think it's that dash of prog in KNY that separates it for me and makes me personally enjoy it more. Songs like Tempest are quite ambitious for them and that's what I like from them personally.
>>
Right now, I'd say:

Pony>S/T>ATF>SNW>Gore>DE

Need to get the other albums and listen to them.
>>
I need to listen to it some more but Prayers/Triangles is still my favorite. I just love that guitar line drifting in and out through the song. Moody Deftones is my favorite.
>>
>>63928236
>That low build at the beginning
unf!
>>
>>63928227
Mine would be.
White Pony > Around The Fur > Koi No Yokan > Adrenaline > Diamond Eyes > Gore > Saturday Night Wrist > Deftones
>>
>>63928090
The guitar solo was played by Jerry Cantrell.
>>
>>63928219
Ah, that was dumb of me. Don't know how I couldn't spot the one missing.

But I can respect that. Gore seems to have reached the consistency of the STA in terms of sticking to a certain vibe on the whole album (which was 'fucking hard riffs the whole time' on STA). And I can agree on KNY in comparison to, say, Diamond Eyes. I liked DE but I feel like that was the element that was missing, save songs like "Sextape".

And SNW is far and away my favorite – I think they do each of their styles at top-notch on that one.

>>63928156
>>63928227 (really interesting ranking)
>>63928270
Mine is probably:
SNW > White Pony ≥ Deftones = KNY = (Gore?) ≥ Diamond Eyes = (Gore?) > AtF > Adrenaline
It's hard for me to separate the goodness of a lot of their albums – Deftones releases are just generally really damn good

>>63928479
! Ah, makes sense why it stuck out, then.
But whoa, that's cool to have him on there! Nice.
>>
i'm liking it so far. i feel like it might grow on me more with time, like koi no yokan did, but i'm definitely enoying it

i'd rank them something like:

>around the fur / white pony
>adrenaline
>diamond eyes / saturday night wrist
>gore / koi no yokan
>sefl-titled
>>
>>63929296
i feel like my ranking shows my age lol

just curious, how old is everyone ITT? i've always been under the impression that younger fans like the newer material more while the older generation likes the older stuff (possibly due to nostalgia?)

i suppose it also might have something to do with what other music one likes as well. i've always been a metal head, so i guess it makes sense i would like their heavier stuff.

on that note, i've always thought it was funny that their earlier material was, for the most part, heavier despite the fact that as they have progressed stephen has continued to tune his guitar lower and lower with each successive release
>>
I'd probably rank them something like this

SNW > DE > WP > AtF > Adrenaline > Gore > KNY > S/T

There aren't any I dislike but if it had to be put in order in my mind this is how it would be
>>
>>63929598
Samefag - 24 btw
>>
>>63929379
I'm 25 and WP and SNW are my favorite. Adrenaline and S/T are my least favorite. I never bothered to actually go out of my way to listen to Deftones till 2011 so I don't have any nostalgia towards any of their albums really
>>
>everyone hating on S/T even though Minerva is one of their best songs
>>
>>63930571
I'm partial to Hexagram on the album.
>>
Me so far:

Prayers/Triangles -
Acid Hologram -
Doomed User -
Geometric Headress -
Hearts/Wires -
Pittura Infamante -
Xenon -
(L)MIRL -
Gore -
Phantom Bride -
Rubicon -

I'm sure with more listens that'll change, and also as the hype dies off, but jesus christ this record is beautiful. Really clicks with my life situation at the moment.
>>
>>63930697
Oh good, I guess I can't use symbols anymore. Apologies:

Prayers/Triangles - 5/5
Acid Hologram - 4/5
Doomed User - 4/5
Geometric Headress - 3/5
Hearts/Wires - 4/5
Pittura Infamante - 3/5
Xenon - 4/5
(L)MIRL - 5/5
Gore - 5/5
Phantom Bride - 5/5
Rubicon - 5/5
>>
>>63926114

Fucking damn /mu/.

NU METAL IS DEAD, DEAL WITH IT.
WE DONT NEED SEQUELS TO THAT PERIOD OF MUSIC.
IT WAS NEVER COOL, IT WAS CRINGEWORTHY.
>>
>>63931018
You literally don't have any clue what's been happening with this band over the past 15 years do you?
>>
>>63930723
>Geometric Headress - 3/5
I think if you'll try to dig in this song, you'll change your opinion, this is at least 4/5
>>
>>63931018
They don't play nu metal anymore. They are primarily alternative and have been for the past years.
Also what is even the point of this post. Do you think people aren't allowed to listen to certain music just because it isn't popular anymore and not in the charts?
Fuck off, moron.
>>
>>63929379
I'm 20 and started listening to Deftones 6 years ago. WP was my first and also favorite album. After that I also really like SNW and KNY. Besides that I like a handful of songs from all the other albums.
>>
Can't wait for another two or three albums so people will finally be okay with saying Koi No Yokan and Diamond Eyes are dope records.
>>
>>63926282
Thank you.
>>
>>63930571
That's one of the album's only solid tracks. An average album can't be better than another solid one just because it has one or two great tracks.

>>63930697
Prayers / Triangles - 8/10
Acid Hologram - 7/10
Doomed User - 7/10
Geometric Headress - 7/10
Hearts/Wires - 6/10
Pittura Infamante - 8/10
Xenon - 7/10
(L)MIRL - 6/10
Gore - 6/10
Phantom Bride - 5/10
Rubicon - 6/10

I felt compelled to write a review for this album on RYM last night. The first listen had me a little stumped, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I ended up spending 3 and a half hours playing it again and again after the first listen. This is my least favourite studio album they've put out.

Still excited for what the future holds though. This band is always evolving.
>>
>>63931018
AGREE
>>
>>63931018
AGREE THIS MUSIC IS TERRIBLE
>>
>>63931018
They make shoegaze and alternative metal now you prick
>>
>>63933026
I think it's definitely a grower. After a couple of listens, you can really appreciate what sound the band is trying to go for on this record. its very atmospheric and not as heavy as their other releases.
>>
>>63928536
me

>>63929379
21; info for context: first favorite band was Green Day after being raised on classic rock radio and especially the <3 Beatles <3 – Linking Park's 'Meteora' got me into heavier music, and from there SOAD who became my next favorite band. Deftones came in when I saw "Hole in the Earth" on MTV when it came out, and Youtube helped me find their hits. I remember Limewiring "Root" (which was labeled as a Tool song). Still love that guitar.

Also I have to say that the 'Deftones' album is the one that had to click for me, and only in the past 2 months. It's basically just dark and riffing the whole time, and is good if you're in the mood for that very specific vibe the record does. It definitely doesn't seem as varied as many of their albums.

>>63933026
Damn, my 3 favorites at the bottom. Wow.
These are my ratings from 2nd listen, which was massively improved over the first. I imagine they will grow a little more on repeated listens, so I'll give the record another spin now
>>
Prayers/Triangles - 2/5
Acid Hologram - 4/5
Doomed User - 4/5
Geometric Headress - 3/5
Hearts/Wires - 2/5
Pittura Infamante - 3/5
Xenon - 3.5/5
(L)MIRL - 4/5
Gore - 2/5
Phantom Bride - 2/5
Rubicon - 4/5
>>
>>63933570
>Prayers/Triangles - 2/5
Yikes!
>>
>>63933530
I do have that review if you're interested. I gave this album an honest chance, it just runs me the wrong way compared to their other albums.

https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Prismadoll/rating77079183
>>
>>63933873

Interesting. I think opposite - the 2nd half is much much better than the first. & some agreeable ratings, and also some questionable ones - WYWH a 2.5/5 or whatever? No way.
>>
>>63929379
I'm almost 24, been listening to deftones for about a decade.

First song I heard was lucky you and I loved it.

First albums I really got into were self titled and white pony.

Hard to pin a favorite album it's a tie between Adrenaline, self titled, and KNY
>>
>>63934017
Sorry, Pink Floyd's sound is very uninteresting to me. Both WYWH and DSOTM felt very plain to me; vanilla art rock with some decent ideas here and there. I respect the band, but based off those two albums of theirs I've heard so far, I'm not getting a good impression from them.

Then again, I've only heard those two albums of theirs. Their discography is huge, I'm sure I'll find something of theirs I like eventually.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.