[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do your parents have a good record collection? Going through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Do your parents have a good record collection?

Going through my mother's right now. This one is from 67.
>>
memealbum
>>
I'll take the bait

That's an amazing find, potentially worth hundreds of dollars in that condition. Sell it on discogs
>>
this guy FUCKS
>>
>>63921940
Is that Piper mono or stereo? If mono, you're sitting on a goldmine.

To answer the question, no, my dad sold all his records when CDs came out. Good CD collection though I guess.
>>
>>63921972
Why would it be bait?

>tfw listening to 50yo Beatles singles with my mom
>>
My mom used to have heaps of great ones but she leant them to her cousin and he lost them all.

Dad has a pretty decent collection.
>>
>>63921940
My dad had a LP first pressing of Black Sabbath Paranoid at one point I have no idea where it is now.
>>
My dad has a bunch of Sparks albums and Pink Floyd albums. The rest is mostly dadrock like Dire Straits but I did find Sparks through him, so that's redeeming I think.
>>
>>63921988
Why are mono records worth more than stereo ones? Is it because mono is the original master and thus older or something?
>>
>>63921940
i'll suck your dick for that record anon
>>
>>63922236
Typically it's because mono's are the first pressings and the stereo ones follow sometime later. Also the fact that stereo in the 60s was shit since it involved just panning entire instruments to one side or the other, so mono is what the artists and mixers intended.
>>
>>63922261
Oh that makes sense, I never knew that. Does that mean that it's worth going through some of my 60s albums and making sure I have the mono versions downloaded?

But that makes me question, one thing that comes immediately to mind is Revolver, and I think stereo is used well on that album; such as when the vocals come in on eleanor rigby.
>>
>>63922243
I'm already sucking my mother's dick to hopefully inherit her collection some day.

She has so many rare records it's ridiculous.
>>
>>63922295
Well The Beatles had George Martin at the helm, so hence why stereo on that was better. You don't HAVE to have mono versions but it's what people generally prefer. Some older albums were converted to stereo when CD remasters started to appear so there are some decent stereo versions out there (thought changing an album from mono to stereo is a very touchey issue for purists). All in all, it's about personal preference.
>>
>>63922324
Hm I guess I'll have to do it on an album by album basis. I'm sure there's loads of discussion on the internet about which version of something like Pet Sounds, Piper, or mid era Beatles is better, and for more obscure albums it might not even be so easy to find both mono and stereo versions on slsk anyway. Thanks for the help senpai-o
>>
>>63922343
For Pet Sounds, tl;dr it's mono but I'll do a slightly long type up anyway.

For one, there was no original stereo mix intended since Brian is deaf in one ear and envisioned mixing it in mono to begin with. The "stereo" pressings all the way up till the 90s were duophonic pressings which was a trick of adding a 0.01 second delay in one channel to make it seem like stereo. Then when they made real stereo versions in the 90s for CD, some original master tapes were missing so some instruments are missing and also some vocals (most notably the double tracked lead on That's Not Me is a single track lead on the stereo version). There's even more depth than that but those are just some main points.
>>
my dad only listens to bob dylan and blues
>>
>>63922367
thanks man ill make sure to get the mono version. never knew that brian wilson was deaf in one ear, thats very interesting
>>
>>63922399
Apparently the cause was that his father hit him too hard in the head once when he was a kid. He was pretty abusive and there's even a tape of them in the studio where he comes by to surprise them and starts tearing into Brian, which is just really uncomfortable to hear.

Still, there stereo mix is still pretty good but I prefer the mono since it packs more punch and doesn't have missing segments.
>>
This was a pretty cool find.
>>
>>63922428
damn that sucks.
>>
>>
>>63922457
It's pretty sad. I've been lucky enough to meet Brian briefly though, he's seriously the nicest guy in the world which is just incredible considering the life he's had. I'm glad he's getting better and touring again.
>>
>>63922488
I'm going to see him at levitation in austin. Gonna be amazing I think. It's a great setlist, Anco, Sleep, Slowdive, FlyLo, Ween, etc but I don't think I'd be driving the 3 hours from Houston (to my first festival ever) if it wasn't for Brian performing Pet Sounds. I'm glad to hear he's a nice guy
>>
>>63922530
If you haven't seen it yet, see Love & Mercy. It's a biopic about Pet Sounds, his drug use and his psychiatrist that took control of his life and shut out his family.
>>
>>63922558
I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.