[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this little gem releases tomorrow, what does /mu/ think so
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3
File: UVE8d0daCCEAN41Pdd4EXf92.jpg (69 KB, 764x768) Image search: [Google]
UVE8d0daCCEAN41Pdd4EXf92.jpg
69 KB, 764x768
So this little gem releases tomorrow, what does /mu/ think so far about it
>>
is there a good 320kbps download?
>>
>>63891537
I was just going off the singles that have been released, I myself like to give an album I really want it's first listen off the hard copy, so not to sure anon
>>
it felt like their most adventurous album to date
if they were to disband now then it would be a fitting end to deftones
>>
>>63891734
Nigger quit trolling.

It was okay, but will probably end up being my most skipped record in their discog. The heavy albums do the few heavy tracks better and KNY and SNW both do the progressive parts better. The songwriting is largely lacking and the lyrics doubly so.

The only standout track is the title track.

All that said, its a better album than every other modern rock band is putting out.
>>
>>63891734
Hearts/Wires has def got me pumped for the rest, I love the sound that they're going for on this one
>>
You can find it on kickass.to for anyone wanting it early
>>
It's gonna be EPIC, Deftones 4 life
>>
>>63891961
All you have to do is listen to one Deftones record to understand how foolish you are
>>
Who /DTs/ here
>>
>>63891916
Word. Personally don't dig gore. I think heartswires l(mrl) and prayers is ite. But I was really let down. Lot of people say it and snw are their favorites and I can't tell if they are trolling or not.
>>
>>63893132
I could see how some people who aren't conventional Deftones fans would like these albums since they stray from the aggression that the band built their career on, but yeah in general I just think they lack substance in comparison to ATF, WP, S/T & DE, ironically enough since thats probably the opposite of the band's intentions.

I feel like Chino took the nu-metal catcalls to heart way too much. Only retards who never sat through a full album ever called them nu-metal to begin with.
>>
It's ok and I never expected more than that really
>>
I feel like this band tends to represent and portray something in their music that the majority of /mu/ would just scoff at with a "fucking pleb" muttered under their breath. Call me an edgelord maximus fedoralis for saying this but I feel like it takes a person who has had certain life experiences to connect to their music as a whole, experiences that can't be found in shelter
>>
>>63893494
i think i know what you mean. Listening to Gore right now and as their other records, I think it's like a living thing, with it's own rules and it's own space, something free.
>>
Deftones are rad. I don't care what the general opinion of /mu/ is toward them, they are wholly apart from so many of the bands they came up with and are still doing things in their music that are dangerous, relevant as hell and light fires under your feet. Gore is a fucking rad album.
>>
Deftones NEVER disappoints, its incredible how consistently great these guys are.
>>
Any of ya'll fucked with Deftones in the background? I highly recommend it, shit gets bitches hot.
>>
The title track is insanely catchy. So is Rubicon. But the title track, holy shit that part is so ill when he just starts screaming like a madman at the end and the whole song starts to come apart into a slow crash.
>>
>>63893618
I get that especially with everything from Saturday Night Wrist onwards. For their early albums I get a strong sense of drug addiction and subsequent withdrawals as well as living within the confines of a toxic, co-dependent relationship. While that could be me putting my own narrative spin on it, the lyrics and early history of the band does lend itself to that idea.

For the later albums including Gore, I do get that sense of desire to break free from norms and self imposed boundaries, and to connect with others. I do find it funny that they named one of the least thematically drug centric albums, Saturday Night Wrist, after a typically
intoxication induced syndrome, saturday night palsy.

>>63893771
I could do it with You've Seen The Butcher but for a groove heavy band I don't find many of their songs to be that sexy
>>
>>63893845
Thats when the album actually starts sounding like Deftones imo. The other songs just sound like his Crosses side-project with guitars to me
>>
WARNING:

This album disappointed me on first listen.
I went in having heard the first two singles and thought they were boring and didn't captivate me, and so I was expecting an album full of b-side-level material for DE & KNY.

2nd listen later the other night made it MUCH better (also tried on headphones, so hearing the textures so close was great). If DE was an album that tried to touch each of Deftones' 'bases', then KNY was the same formula, but moving each song towards a more averaged middle ground. Gore does this yet AGAIN, but it's kind of cool to hear them really riff on this style now.
>>
>>63891467
looks like a pathetic attempt to recreate the memery of
SUN
BAT
HER
>>
>>63893848
You're right about the early albums but Passenger, Digital Bath, and MX are ultimate sex songs, not lyrically but you know what I mean.
>>
>>63893941
lul

>>63893926
The one thing I've been lacking is getting a good surround sound experience from this record so far, my headphones need a cord replacement so I only heard it from front facing speakers so far. Still, while production has been a strong suit of Deftones lately I'm not sure I could predict its nuances saving the weaker songwriting for me. I mean hell, even vocally Chino took as few risks as possible on this one. You can't even chalk that up to age because artists older than him still outperform him in the studio, as far as Gore is concerned
>>
>>63893926

I don't know, Diamond Eyes & Koi definitely sound like their most rounded albums imo but I don't think they went for strike 3 with Gore at all. The mix is different. Overall its got a noticeably more spacious, cavernous sound. More of a longform feeling to the music, even if they are not necessarily longer songs. It still has an atmospheric meandering element that reminds me of SNW but a little more focused and deliberate at the same time. idk.
>>
>>63894008
Dude Digital Bath literally makes me nauseous sometimes, I couldn't imagine getting it up with that song playing
>>
>>63893941

>pink stuff
>Didot header type

MUH DEAFHEAVEN
>>
>>63894069
Really? What is it that makes you nauseous?
>>
>>63894008
>>63894069
Now that I'm listening to WP and Passenger again I could see that driving drum beat leading to some decent thrusting. Also wishing Maynard would have done another collab or two. ALSO WISHING TOOL WOULD RELEASE THE NEW LP but I heavily digress.

>>63894063
Not him but while I see what you mean I don't think Gore feels as "open" as SNW, and KNY while going further progressively than Gore had about the same amount as "spaciousness" imo. But I think your critique is mostly spot on
>>
>>63894157
>deftones songs abotu sex
>doesn't mention rx queen

CAUSE YOU'RE MY GIIIIIIIIIIRL
>>
>>63894196
AND THAT'S ALRIGHT
>>
>>63894214
IF YOU STING ME I WON'T MIND
>>
They will never put out an album I like because Saturday night wrist is the best they will ever get
>>
>>63894135
The dark lyrics and minor guitar and synth/ electronic programming chords all working together. It also brings back memories of overdoses and suicide attempts both witnessed and committed, but thats not inherent to the music I guess. I still feel like towards the end when the electric guitar fades out and the synth programming kicks in they were going for a sickly sound, but maybe thats just me

I'm pretty drunk and you can skip over this whole diatribe v

I know the common and even official interpretation of the lyrics is that of a girl who killed herself by throwing a toaster into the bathtub and subsequently got found by a guy, but I always found a dual meaning in the 'tonight I'm feeling more' line. I always personally interpreted it as an addict whose tolerance has reached toxicly high levels and is tonight taking a dose that will get him high but may also kill him or at least cause longterm withdrawal effects. It signifies getting high but also suicide to me.
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
I'm looking forward to it, I've been listening to Koi No Yokan and pic related a lot in anticipation.
>>
>>63894306
I hate how often I forget about Team Sleep. They're certainly better than any Crosses release
>>
Anyone else kinda dislikes when Deftones try to be aggressive?
>>
>>63894377
I'm the opposite, but there's enough material to cater to both of us <3
>>
File: CdyFQy6.png (49 KB, 1111x1024) Image search: [Google]
CdyFQy6.png
49 KB, 1111x1024
>>63894293
Fuckin A bro. I never been addicted to some next shit, hell the hardest shit I ever done is purp haze but I hope you're doing good now...
>>
>>63894009
Fair. Bummer about the headphones.
I used my desktop setup the first time, and it was Deftones rocking, but the right vibe just wasn't there.
The thing I'll say about Chino on this one is some of his melodies are great (and ergo he sings them well).

>>63894063
>>63894196
I mean take songs like Romantic Dreams, Entombed, particularly Leathers (think Hearts/Wires has that same opening chill with guitar, then ,
Think what I said about the last albums, waning back from the greater variety of styles on Diamond Eyes. This new album is like they're also bringing back from their self-titled; the whole thing was just 'fucking hard riffs'. A sensical branch off from the KNY songs I mentioned

>>63894377
No, they're so good at it. They're one of the best, actually.

>>63894306
And holy shit, how did I forget I have this to listen to! Thanks anon!
>>63894250
Well SNW is my favorite too, but all their other albums are at least great. I mean shit it's been forever since I listened to Adrenaline, but that's just where they started.

++ wonder if the better quality on release will make it even better, we really are only listening to VBR
>>
>>63894377
I disliked Diamond Eyes the album but lost my shit with the Gore title track

the chugalugging just doesn't do it for me
>>
>>63894377

I do. I mean I like the whole pterodactyl on coke thing Chino does with his voice but in general I find some of their riffs to be a little too dull too often. That's why songs like Riviere or Beware are my favourites. It's just a pretty song with some unexpected breakdown in the middle or the end to bob your head for a bit.
>>
>>63894437
I am man, now I feel like an attention whore but thank you for saying that, Weed is all you need homie

nb for off topic
>>
>>63894473

>>63894477
Yeah, I love how they use those metal break-ins as a spice, not just trying to Meshuggah all their shit. Might explain why Stephen said he wasn't feeling this album when they were starting it?
>>
>>63894473
First guy you responded to, and yeah he did seem to focus more on melodies and choruses on this one to me. They were well done but they seem to be all that carries the album to me, the guitar work on the verses that would usually hold my attention just seem to be going for low key wankey, as in wankey by radio standards but not resonant enough to hold my attention.

>>63894514
While Diamond Eyes is my favorite and Around The Fur my second, I will admit on the few Gore tracks that had chugging it was done a bit more tastefully. I just wish they wouldn't have held back, be it with the guitar tone, mixing, or playing ferocity. You have to admit, even if chugging isn't what draws you in, Deftones do it pretty fucking well without going full muh rhythms & time signatures
>>
>>63894514

stephen is ill at what he does, but he strikes me as a total sludge metal neanderthal who needs to listen to some different music.
>>
>>63893494
most of /mu/ have never left their parents house. i dont know why i still go here for music recommendations
>>
>>63894637
Yeah. It almost seems like Stephen learned how to have fun using heavy guitar without making it burst into rocking. Playing more for the songs' full textures; there's less presence of 'lead guitar' here

Your other one was also me -- oh wow, Diamond Eyes at the top and AtF 2nd. I'd probably go:
SNW >> White Pony ≥ Deftones = Diamond Eyes=KNY(=Gore?) > AtF > Adrenaline.
I mean I can't separate the goodness of so many of their albums, they're just generally really god damned good

I think the heaviness will find it's way back in with a cool vengeance again soon – you have to chill and meditate and learn your craft and breathe to recharge and get next-level Deftones rock out

>>63894787
Yeah, so I feel like this album was a great exercise for him. Hopefully he follows it.
>>
>>63894787
I totally agree with you, but on the flip side imagine how shitty they'd be without that influence

>>63894792
This entire site has only been just barely tolerable since I started regularing but only in the past couple years has it turned to full stockholm
>>
Explain to me the appeal of KNY. I'm not trolling but I still can't quite understand what that album is about.
>>
>>63894882
I totally see where you're coming from and it all goes to show this band is capable of drawing a more varied audience than the vast majority of rock and metal bands today. That very principle is basically what got them where they are today if you think about it.

Also, I think you're right in terms of how their song structure will go from here on out (should they continue as a band, I last thought this was up in the air?), I just hope they don't go full crescendocore in terms of prog-rock to chug or vice versa. I feel like their best tracks have walked a non-generic line between both
>>
>>63891467
I think it's a major improvement over Koi No Yokan
>>
>>63894955

KNY was just an extension of Diamond Eyes to me. It came out like two years after and in most ways sounds like they were just shedding off the last skin from that period into another batch of songs. Its not their most adventurous or disruptive effort, but its well produced and mixed and has some good jams with a melancholy space vibe. I love Tempest & Rosemary.
>>
>>63894955
Do you think it's THAT different from the rest? And so much so that it's not good?

>>63894995
Absolutely agreed on both.
Though Chino seems to have gotten that out already with the good PALMS release a few years ago.
To be honest with Deftones I'm next predicting some innovation with how to meld electronics and (potentially outdated or too-old?) metal guitar
>>
>>63893494
I find this to be true
>>
>>63895066

On that note I have always dug how Deftones have flirted with those sounds (electronica, etc) without it sounding convoluted or unnatural in the context of chugging guitars, etc. I think of the end of Acid Hologram on the new album, that shit sounds wild. The keys and synth sequences in other songs... its usually there on some level. I don't know what there is to innovate on with that though, its not really a brave step they haven't already taken.
>>
>>63895066
Wtf how did I not know about Palms. I mean I listen to Isis I should have known about this.

On an unrelated note which vocalist collab do yall like better: Maynard on Passenger or Serj on Mein?
>>
>>63895186
Maynard.
>>
>>63895222
Passenger is a better song but Serj's vocals seem to stand out more on Mein
>>
>>63895186

Agreed with >>63895222 & >>63895299 ;
though I'm a Tool fan, I'm a substantially larger SOAD fan. However Passenger is definitely better, and Mein is cool but it's one of my least favorites on that favorite album
>>
Rats! x3 does make SNW worth a listen if nothing else does
>>
Listening to Pink Cellphone makes me wonder what a Year Zero Trent Reznor vs a SNW Deftones collab could have sounded like
>>
>>63895341
God damn dude, that one is one of my all time favorites.
>>
>>63891467
seems neat. i loved his albums Poop and Luxembourg, so this could be AOTY
>>
Listened to the shit vinyl rip once and the actual sounding album once and it's definitely better than DE and KNY. Rubicon is such a great track.

>>63893494
idk, i'm a virgin NEET loser with zero life experiences and Deftones are honestly one of my favorite bands. I just think a bunch of cucks on here don't give them a chance because they only associate Deftones as being nu-metal and their "patrician" ears can't listen to that
>>
>>63895419
It is great. It's like he let out all the frustration/anxiety/aggression that he would have usually spent a few tracks on with previous albums, all contained in one song here. Animalistic as fuck
>>
I honestly didn't know what to expect when I listened to the full album. The first listen I just had to feel it out. On the next 2 or 3 I found I really really loved what they were going for and started to see it more clearly. It's like during this constant tug of war between the verses and choruses that makes this record what it is. A constant battle between Stephens heaviness and Chinos epicness that I found makes a perfectly balanced Deftones album. I also really enjoyed the semi Loveless influenced mix...kind of washed out and cavern sounding. Plus there's a bit of Iron Maiden shit thrown in and some stuff that to me sounded out of this world that I haven't heard anyone else doing. To me this album was a completely unexpected win. I dig it more and more each listen. Liked it a lot better than Koi which was somewhat disappointing imo.
>>
>>63895457
Imo their music deals with a lot of isolation but not in the sense that /r9k/ does. They definitely aren't misogynistic which is a dealbreaker for most of this site, but if you can hang then welcome home, friend.
>>
>>63895496
Okay you might be going places with the songwriting critique but in terms of production and mixing you couldn't have gone fuller retard
>>
>>63895481
It's one of the hardest and rawest in their entire discog. I've never felt meh on that song. It always makes me feel something. I think one of my favorite parts of the song is at one point you can here him choking/coughing/throwing up or something and you can here a mic fall or something. It's just pure rage. Fucking love it.
>>
>>63895557
Samefag here - I'll be honest. At first I wasn't into the mixing. Then after a while I sort of just accepted it as intentional. I mean hell...they've made plenty of well mixed albums. It's not like on this one they just said - alright ... sound guy...fuck my shit up hard core
>>
>>63895496
>semi Loveless influenced mix
Chino is for sure influenced by My Bloody Valentine as well as Sergio, their bassist. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had some MBV in mind while working on the album

Also a cool small story. On some interview, Chino played Loveless to Terry Date and wanted White Pony to sound like it.
>>
>>63895570
Fuck year. Chino's rawness goes unmatched, except maybe Kyo in Dir En Grey. His vocals on this track as well as plenty on Around the Fur and White Pony really set him apart from other vocalists in the genre. On the s/t and Diamond Eyes he starts going more melody oriented but still... who sound that fucking ferocious? I liked the earlier anon's comparison to a pterodactyl on coke, thats actually really accurate.
>>
>>63895589
>>63895605
Word, I'm willing to accept this possibility. Do either of you have any youtube vids or dl links to point me in the direction of them saying that? Not that I don't believe you but Entertain Me is all I've really seen and not much light was shed in that vid
>>
>>63895695
Here's the link where he mentions Loveless http://www.revolvermag.com/news/five-favorite-non-metal-albums-deftones-chino-moreno.html
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCGsZH2axsY

Deftones/Geto Boys mashup/collision course when
>>
>>63895747
Interesting. While I never saw any MBV as a 'stimulant' record I could see how each part being individually crafted by the hands of amphetamine gods. I mean, it takes a lot of focus and time allotted to getting these tracks right if you want a MASTERPIECE

I sound silly, but just ask the people who were involved ....
>>
>>63891467
Long-time listener, quite frankly I love it. It's probably my favorite release since White Pony or SNR, I'm at about three listens through, so I have yet to add more to my opinion on it.
>>63894306
I didn't know about this and I'm in love with it, definitely better than Crosses in my book. Thanks anon.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.