[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is old Swans so underrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Swans_-_Cop.jpg (36 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Swans_-_Cop.jpg
36 KB, 300x300
Why is old Swans so underrated?
>>
>old swans
>not overrated as shit
>>
>>63878729
Hey you fucking millennial. How are they underrated when every retard owns a shit and tatto from those albums covers.
>>
Because the majority of their fanbase now are people from /mu/ who were born in the 90s and think Swans should be a "deep, experimental post-rock band".

Most of the modern fanbase is too young and impressionable to really understand the impact of early Swans.
>>
It's insanely brutal yet catchy as shit. A personal favorite of mine
>>
File: 1454110676384.png (151 KB, 298x337) Image search: [Google]
1454110676384.png
151 KB, 298x337
>>63878729
>>
Because all of a sudden everybody forgot the Larkin Grimm fiasco and we never got to see that public statement promised by Michael Gira.
>>
>>63878729
>underrated

>>63878772
>
>>
>>63878787
If you cared to begin with you're a petty faggot.
>>
What's with the meme of early Swans being "le most brootal band ever xD"?

Most extreme metal is heavier and more intense than Swans' early records.
>>
>>63878781
>>63878767
>>63878741
You can think I'm a fucking autist all you want, but SFTB, The Seer, and TBK are the only albums that get spammed or even discussed on here for that matter.
>>
>>63878823
>Most extreme metal is heavier and more intense than Swans' early records.

It's about the sound. Early Swans doesn't just sound heavy, but noisy and slightly disturbing too. And it doesn't sound much like their contemporaries either.

Metal lost it's lustre a long time ago. There's nothing impressive about yet another black metal record.
>>
>>63878846
are you even fucking paying attention I see filth constantly
>>
>>63878846
lol no, what about Filth? Some people here like Holy Money and Greed a lot. TBK hasn't been spammed for a while.
>>
>>63878846
they're the only albums that matter
>>
>>63878823
I think the rationale is the emotional character from which most of the songwriting took place combined with the heavy downbeat and primal screams for vocals.

A lot of "heaviness" in metal is lost in technical wank or low production fidelity with some vague clairvoyant melody to guide the listener through. There's no need for that in the soundscape Swans was operating in at the time.
>>
HELLA FUCKING EPIC
>>
>>63878772
>>63878875
I can't tell if these posts are an elaborate joke or what because these are p cringey
>>
>>63878875
Early Swans was more raw and visceral than most metal.

Metal relies too much on distortion and edgy vocals to come off as heavy. Swans was legit heavy in the way that it was extremely loud, and repetitive in the way that something like a forced labor camp is.
>>
>>63878729
YOURE THE HEAAART OF THE HEAAARTACHE
>>
>>63878946
metal is often loud and repetitive, and swans has edgy vocals. what the fuck are you even saying
>>
greed/holy money>filth>public castration = cop
>>
>>63879000
No, metal Swans is Godflesh.

Swans was not repetitive in the way that a typical rock band is, it's closer to TG and a lot of industrial music. Its not intended to be melodic or pleasant to listen to in any way, it's meant to sound mechanical and physically punishing.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.