[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /mu/ I've been playing piano for 5 years and I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: korg-ms20-970-80.jpg (70 KB, 850x505) Image search: [Google]
korg-ms20-970-80.jpg
70 KB, 850x505
Help me /mu/
I've been playing piano for 5 years and I want to buy my first synth ever.
is the ms-20 mini good to begin with to begin with?
how shitty are mini keys?
>>
i was thinking about the korg minilogue as well
>>
>>63856227
idk its a pretty cool synth, but the fact that's monophonic kind of limit the possibilities tbqh
>>
>>63856227
if i was going to get a synth it would be between that and the roland system-1
>>
>>63856227
MS-20 Mini is a great sounding instrument.

It lacks the bells and whistles of newer synths (arp, sequencer, good keys) but its primitive nature and raw sound make it really inspiring to play and great to learn about synthesis on.

Buy it nigga
>>
Being forced to physically patch things makes it a good quality starter synth. It introduces you to the concept of signal flow and gives you a better understanding of how synths actually work. Just know that it is monophonic meaning you can't play chords but there are a lot of possibilities with the ms-20
>>
>>63856227
Keep in mind I've never played any of these synths, but I've researched a bunch and played their software version (not that it counts for much).
Ms-20 would be a great buy. But do you want to be able to play chords? A lot of synths are monophonic, so first you need to decide if you need polyphony or not.

I would possibly consider looking at the new Roland Boutiques. Or the Korg Minilogue, that's an analogue polyphonic synth I believe. Maybe an older Korg MS2000b, you can get one of those for fairly cheap. Maybe a Waldorf Blofeld.

But if you're cool with just having one voice, there's a ton of options there. And an ms-20 would be a good buy as far as that goes.
>>
>>63857345
Not OP but if I wanted to be able to play like ambient chords and swells, what would be a good synth around the price of the MS-20
>>
>>63857345
OP here
i'm planning on buying mono and poly synths, just not atm

thanks for the recommendations
>>
File: Streichfett-large.jpg (139 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Streichfett-large.jpg
139 KB, 750x750
I guess this is a suitable thread to ask this question. So I'm considering buying the streichfett string synth, but considering that its digital, would I be better off just using a vst?
>>
>>63856619
>buying a hardware synth for learning synthesis
>>
DAVE SMITH INSTRUMENTS
>>
>>63857470
Microkorg
>>
>>63857885
Why not just use software
>>
microbrute is a decent starter synth
>>
>>63856227
This thing actually isn't mini it's but just much smaller than the original.
I have one it's fun but you might not like that it is monophobic
>>
get that or the mini/microbrute

if you want something polyphonic that's cheap go for one of the roland boutique series synths, they sound almost identical to the ones they're copying
>>
>>63856227
For a piano player mini keys will be a pain in the ass to play on. Great synth though.
>>
>>63861083
for the boutique synths you'll need a controller btw but you can find decent ones for pretty cheap, and it'd definitely be worth getting one of those imo
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.