[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT; Which is better? Person Pitch or Sleep Cycle?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
ITT; Which is better? Person Pitch or Sleep Cycle?
>>
File: deak the freak.jpg (90 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
deak the freak.jpg
90 KB, 480x640
You already know the answer, OP.
>>
Person Pitch by a fairly small margin
>>
>>63846280
This is my impression too after giving it three listens tonight but I guess I'll see in the coming days.
>>
PP has aged a lot
>>
Person Pitch by a mile

sleep Cycle is still great, but PP was a revelation for me the first time I heard it.
>>
>>63846355
>>
File: 1447640889070.jpg (48 KB, 634x397) Image search: [Google]
1447640889070.jpg
48 KB, 634x397
Sleep Cycle

Person Pitch was overrated by the media and wasn't very creative.

After the (great) ChZ got panned by the media, AnCo (and Panda) have tried repeatedly to copy the repetitive, lyric-light "style" of Person Pitch and make worse records every time.
>>
>>63846355
Yeah same, Person Pitch blew me away. I guess I said by a small margin because Deakins lyrics are much more direct(though portray the same kind of attitude as P.P), and Good House is a GOAT last track
>>
Neither.

Tomboy wins
>>
I love both albums dearly, I'm really loving Sleep Cycle right now though, it's extremely fresh and speaks to my soul the same way PP did. Good House peirce's straight into my heart
>>
Person Pitch is the most 10 of all 10s but Sleep Cycle is the most 9 of all 9s
>>
>>63846427
>AnCo (and Panda) have tried repeatedly to copy the repetitive, lyric-light "style" of Person Pitch
no they havent

you've not heard their work after 2012 if you think that
>>
>>63846427

Agreed
>>
Sleep Cycle, it's on par with down there
>>
>>63846427
>Wasn't very creative

Elaborate? You must have huge expectations for what makes an album creative
>>
>>63846427
>and wasn't very creative.
What other album at the time had a major focus on sunny and crystalline vocal melodies and harmonies, structures that are reminiscent of genres such as minimal techno and house, all while built on a type of sampling that shares much genealogy with hip-hop (some of the samples being painting soundscapes of urban life: skateboards, subways), and don't forget the dubbed and cut up vocals that feature on tracks such as Good Girl and the droney and ambient Search for Delicious. What other album delivers all that. I'd like to know.
>>
They're honestly both just as good. I'll never forget the first time I listened to Person Pitch. Listening to Sleep Cycle gave me the same exact emotional kick in the balls that Person Pitch did, though. Both incredibly put together albums. Golden Chords and Comfy in Nautica are 2 of the greatest album openers I've ever heard.
>>
i love sleep cycle, but i like person pitch slightly better...hard to beat that album
>>
How about this guys.

Which is better, Sleep State or Sung Tongs? Personally that's a much harder choice, I'm not sure which one I'd pick.
>>
>>63846813
"Cycle", I'm not sober
>>
>>63846813
Sung Tongs by like 8000000 miles. Most of the solo stuff (by any member) can't touch mid-period AnCo imo.
>>
>>63846444
Tomboy is fucking trash outside Last Night at the Jetty, which is the best Panda song.
>>
>>63846939
>You Can Count on Me
>Slow Motion
>Surfers Hymn
>Alsatian Darn
>Afterburner
>>
File: 1456509020695.png (381 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
1456509020695.png
381 KB, 590x421
>>63846643
The rhythms and sound structures were creative and a good chance of pace

But the choice of synthesizers / drums (and their effects) wasnt anything particularly interesting or new.

>omg he used samples of the subway!
And Pet Sounds used a sample of a train. If it wasn't obvious enough that Person Pitch was just a copy of Pet Sounds, but arranged in a stripped down song structure, he basically screamed it at you with that sample.
>>
>>63846813
That's an easier choice for me, Sleep Cycle being better. Don't get me wrong though Sung Tongs is great Visiting Friends is GOAT
>>
Person Pitch is a modern classic
Sleep Cycle is great but its not amazing
>>
>>63846965
yawn
>>
>>63846939
>Afterburner
>Surfers Hymn
>Alsatian Darn
>Scheherazade
>Slow Motion
>Benfica
>Tomboy
>Friendship Bracelet
All of those tracks are better; hey look at that, it's almost the entire album

Scheherazade -> Friendship Bracelet -> Afterburner is probably the best 3 track streak ever
>>
>>63846986
>>63846643

ITT: Kids try to argue about music but lack any basic knowledge of music theory and spew meme words.
>>
>>63847042
ITT: tripfags try to divert the attention to themselves, here's your (you)
>>
>>63847055
Butthurt that you know nothing of music and can't defend your opinions?
>>
>>63847055
>"he's a tripfag, so he's automatically an attention whore"
fuck off this is a community, tripfagging is allowed
>>
>>63846337
How? It still sounds a million times better than the genre it helped spawn
>>
>>63847042
"Le you know nothing about music theory" meme

Fuck off tripfag
>>
>>63846986
>But the choice of synthesizers / drums (and their effects) wasnt anything particularly interesting or new.
I don't see what the equipment has to do with it, really. You wouldn't say using a guitar is uninteresting because it's not new. There aren't even any synthesizers on it - it's just 2 Roland samplers which makes the depth of sound he got even more impressive.

And no, I'm not impressed that he just sampled a subway, I like that he managed to juxtapose imagery of a bustling and chaotic urban space with his samples which is juxtaposed with the sunny and beachy vocal delivery. That's a parallel to the themes of the album - the dichotomy of panda being a laid back dude who doesn't like to get too caught up in criticism; a man who just likes to make sweet jams, and a guy who most now "man up" and enter into a more stressful and terrifying stage of life: fatherhood.

The way he sampled on the album is so impressive to me - the instrumentals seem to meld with his Vic and melodies so organically and harmoniously - they can't be divorced. The humor is great too - parts of it are just so absurd. Like the zipper or the bomb that goes off right after it. He conjures up this whole little world.
>>
>>63847169
"Le i'm 15 n think my opinions r superior just cuz i said so XD" meme

Do you not trip because you are scared you might have to defend yourself? Because you might be a target? You are a coward.
>>
File: R-79063-1182237836.jpeg.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
R-79063-1182237836.jpeg.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
>>63847195
>You wouldn't say using a guitar is uninteresting because it's not new.

Yes, I would. Using an unaffected acoustic guitar is one of the most boring things to do in [the current year].

Didn't read the rest of your wall of text t b h
>>
>>63847234
Take a music theory class, learn an instrument, and learn music history.

Then you may have an opinion on music and post on /mu/

By then you'll also probably be at the age of 18 and allowed to post on this board.
>>
>>63847077
Against what argument, all you did was straw-man those two posters to get attention... You didn't rebut them or add anything to the discussion. And yes, I know I am not helping by replying, but it's not like I'd do anything better with my time.
>>
>>63847276
How was my post a strawman? Did you just learn what that was from le reddit or something and want to show off you "intellect"
>>
>>63847234
Okay, well thanks but I just don't think you have a rebuttal

You still never answered my question about an album that's like Person Pitch and has all those elements.
>>
>>63847209
I think he doesn't trip because he's doesn't have an incessant need for the slightest bit of attention.
>>
>>63847275
I'm not even involved in your convo, but you seem like a major douche snail. Are you okay buddy?
>>
>>63847308
I trip so people know who I am and can reply to me. I trip because I am not afraid to voice my opinion with no consequences.

I have my back against the wall, and I must defend myself against the anons.
>>
Sleep Cycle is very good
Person Pitch is one of the greatest albums ever made
>>
>>63847332
Okay, give an evaluation on Person Pitch using your knowledge of music theory and instrumental prowess. Put your money where your mouth is.
>>
>>63847291

>ITT: Kids try to argue about music but lack any basic knowledge of music theory and spew meme words.

How is accusing them of lack of knowledge of music theory a rebuttal?

>>63847332

And, if you want to be accountable for what you post why not go to reddit, the only benefit of anyone using a trip is to gain reputation/attention. You don't need a trip to be a target, or have to defend yourself. What am I doing right now? But look no trip?!
>>
>>63847370
PP was a terrible album simply because it had no counterpoint in it and had bland boring time signatures.

Listen to PP and then great composers like Bach or Mozart and see the difference.
>>
I like this thread, Person Pitch and Sleep Cycle are both incredible albums IMO. So I'm just gonna post my top 5 AnCo related albums(I haven't heard "Down There)

Person Pitch>Feels>Sung Tongs=Sleep Cycle>Spirit They've Vanished
>>
>>63846229
Person Pitch
but Sleep Cycle is cute
>>
>>63847422
>using adjectives like terrible, bland, and boring as valid criticisms after previously calling people for using "meme words"
>makes noncommittal comment about times signatures and counterpoint to give him an air of credibility
If this is what your idea of proper music criticism looks like then I'd take the two "uneducated" people debating up thread over you any day
>>
>>63847489
Sigh, one of my favorite quotes is "Do not argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I can't talk about the album with music theory because everyone here doesn't have any basic knowledge of it.

a real shame.
>>
>>63847505
Uh huh, keep telling yourself that champ.
>>
>>63847518
No rebuttal? It seems as though I have won. :)
>>
>>63847528
Haha, you're the coolest Snail. So well educated in music!
>>
person pitch is better
sleep cycle is great, but it just sounds like earlier anco stuff (which isn't bad at all), whereas panda definitely has his own sound outside of anco releases
>>
>>63847012
good job
>>
>>63847424
Strawberry Jam > Sleep Cycle > Person Pitch > Feels > Centipede Hz
>>
>>63847705
this is just exactly how I would rate them, SJ is my favourite
>>
>>63847130
I baited for no good reason, you must be so mad rn, right?
>>
>>63846989
Visiting friends is their best mid 2000s song behind fireworks
>>
>>63847705
Strawberry Jams > Feels > Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished > Person Pitch = Sleep Cycle > Sung Tongs > Here Comes The Indian > Merriweather Post Pavilion > Campfire Songs > Tomboy > Painting With > Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper > Centipede Hz > Danse Manatee.

Haven't listened to any of Avey's stuff yet. And I don't think Geologist has any solo content.
>>
Why is Avey's solo stuff so underrated?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r_fUuvYRQI
>>
>>63847505
Lelling at this fgt who thinks it's necessary for a composition to involve certain techniques or reach a certain level of complexity to be good. Why does he even listen to pop music? If the only thing you like in music is compositional complexity, go listen to classical. Pop music is about combining melodies, sounds, lyrics and a certain atmosphere to create something special, fun or interesting. If one manages to do so without the use of counterpoint or irregular time signatures, then to me he/she is a really great pop musician.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.