[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats their best track /mu/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6
File: boardsofcanada.jpg (27 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
boardsofcanada.jpg
27 KB, 460x276
whats their best track /mu/
>>
>>
Aquarius
>>
Dawn Chorus obviously
>>
>>63837986
Roygbiv :^)
>>
the one with the devil talking in backwards speak!!!! and a hip hop beat
>>
I personally like all of their "in-between" tracks than any song
That being said, I think song-wise it's a tie between Julie and Candy and Kid for Today
>>
>>63838036
This. "Roygbiv" is one of those songs where the fade-out is just absolutely crushing because you don't want the song to be over. At less than 3 minutes, it's really just a teaser of what could have easily been a 6 or 7 minute track. Almost Pet Sounds-esque in that respect.
>>
Music is Math!!!!
"the past inside the present" always gives me the chills
>>
>>63837986
5d
>>
Twoism
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (103 KB, 781x862) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
103 KB, 781x862
>>63837986
why do all these type of musicians look and dress the same i don't get it are they all hiking enthusiasts or what
>>
>>63838162
>04/05/16(Tue)16:57:21 No.63838162
That album gives me the creeps it's like the devil is living inside the cd haha
>>
>>63838095
same. my favorite BoC track is Olson but it's tragically short.

long form might be In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
>>
When electronic brings tears to one’s eyes is when pigs fly, or in this case when Boards of Canada releases an album. This is one of the most powerful albums one could stumble upon. Their second record induces extreme numbness in their organic and honest electronic music. Entitled mysteriously, Geogaddi, two of electronica's most enigmatic composers, Marcus Eoin and Michael Sandison dropped out of the sky yet again. Following up from their phenomenal Music Has the Right to Children, Geogaddi steps up in the world of greatly advanced subliminal sampling, evocative talking synthesizers, and symbolic track-titles and songs. Hence, the album unbelievably clocks to sixty-six minutes and six seconds (666). Additionally, the total file size of the album in a computer is 666.86MB. The album, however, is a lot darker but still shining in indescribable beauty. The surprise is beyond electronic intelligence, four years in the making. It combines religion, politics, demography, geography, mathematics, science, and culture together—it’s the most heroic and poignant electronic album to date.
>>
So their best comes down to
Happy Cycling
Aquarius
Roygbiv
Dawn Chorus
Music Is Math
XYZ
Everything You Do Is A Balloon
Olson
Dandelion
Over The Horizon Radar
'84 Pontiac Dream
Amo Bishop Roden
In A Beautiful Place Out in the Country
>>
>>63838549
>no Sixtyten
>no Turquoise Hexagon Sun
>no Julie and Candy
Nah
>>
Buckie High
>>
>>63838549
Nothing pre-MHTRTC (apart from the tracks that had been released from that previously)?

TH isn't my favorite work by them, but Come to Dust is gorgeous
>>
>>63838549
>>63838657
Oops, didn't see EYDIAB there, soz
>>
>>63838287
It gets cold in Europe. Less seasons, all that jazz.
>>
No mention of Sunshine Recorder yet? For shame.
>>
Dawn Chorus
Over The Horizon Radar
Peacock Tail
>>
Kid For Today brings so many images to my head of lonely childhood memories that felt surreal
>>
>>63838095
In the Annexe and Bocuma are amazing
>>
>>63838657
>>63838687
>>63838606
ok so like I was thinking about putting New Seeds or Nothing Is Real or Jacquard Causeway or Dayvan Cowboy or Forest Moon or 5/9/78 (right?) or whatever on there but I was just spitballing potential bests. I guess I do think anyway that those trax represent my faves. I return most to Post MHtRtC, Pre Gegaddi stuff.
>>
Sixtyniner
>>
I love Transmisiones Ferox, especially how "nineteen ninety nine nine nine" starts to sound like "dying dying dying dying"
>>
>>63837986
Whitewater or 5D, it was really hard to even arrive at those over all others desu
>>63838036
>>63838116
You guys ever hear the Alphaquest mix of it? Only ever linked in 128kbps though, which is pretty disappointing.
>>
>>63838606
this man understands me

add in olson and new seeds as well
>>
Peacock tail just brings on all of the feels
>>
>>63837986
Sixtyten is god tier
>>
>>63839220
*leaked, not linked
>>
Skimming Stomes
>>
Sunshine Recorder
Between the short tracks, Over The Horizon Radar
>>
If only this was 4 or 5 minutes longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLmdIXaZ0LQ
>>
i like kid for today and sementa merthvykh, seriously that track is so great and scary
>>
>>63838287
lol they look extra BoC here. Also
>Interface magazine
>>
Reach for the dead
>>
>>63839975
I have similar tastes to you.
>>
>>63839168
This
>>
test
>>
>tfw no love for Satellite Anthem Icarus
>>
>>63842245
I came here to post it bro
Fuck that track always makes me feel so fucking calm and positive
>>
Play By Numbers had all their best songs. I'm friends with Scaruffi btw
>>
>>63843835
Scaruffi hasn't even heard it, lol. His write up for it is just copied from some other guys review from like 2000 (he only edited into BoC's page around 2012 - wasn't there before that).
>>
>>63838095
I'm the opposite - I generally prefer the fully fleshed out longer tracks and could do without some of the short ones on each album. I feel bad about that though, as even Mike and Marcus have said that those vignette type tracks are their favorites/most important.
>>
Their best song: Open the Light
Their best interlude: Olson
>>
File: DyYMajv.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
DyYMajv.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
I thought the thumbnail looked like somerthing from Breaking Bad
>>
Honestly I like spooky and Energy Warning is possibly their spookiest so Energy Warning
For full song its probably Music is Math, i like those pulsing beats
>>
>>63837998
I love how in the live version they don't reverse "David Koresh"
>>
>>63844339
Their best intro: Wildlife Analysis
Their best outro: From One Source All Things Depend
>>
Who /Chromakey Dreamcoat/ here?
>>
Hard to choose, but just want to say that chinook is very underrated
>>
>>63844867
That's my favorite of the guitar tracks on TCH
>>63844895
True
>>
Dandelion
>>
Have only listened to MHTRTC, my favs were Aquarius and Roygbiv.
>>
>>63845092
listen to their other shit asap anon
go chronologically
>>
Such a hard question, their strengths are really in creating a cohesive soundscape across a full album

I'll chuck in votes for An Eagle in Your Mind because it almost makes me cry cause of how good it is

also A is to B as B is to C
>>
>>63845092
>>63845115
also listen to MHTRTC more, roygbiv is nice at first but that album is so rich that you discover so much more with repeated listens
>>
chromakey dreamcoat
>>
>>63845115
Alright, I have Geogaddi, haven't listened to it yet. Will now
>>
O R A N G E
>>
>>63844423
I listened to Geogaddi on acid and Energy Warning was just fucking hilarious for some reason. I think it was either the cheesy synth loop attempting to be foreboding and the fact that the PSA made so long ago ultimately failed despite being one of the first environmentally conscious messages
>>
Listening to Amo Bishop Roden right now and having serious second thoughts about changing my answer.
>>
Telephasic Workshop is so underrated - I think it's one of the most "impressive" tracks in their discog. The live version is even better since the melody is a bit more pronounced.

Also the last 2 minutes of An Eagle in Your Mind might be my favorite thing they've ever done. They're so good at doing a more overt hip-hop style.
>>
>>63845221
Telephasic Workshop is SOOOO fucking good.
>>
is there any music as otherworldly as boc's

it's a term i hear thrown around a lot in reviews but rarely does the music it's describing actually live up to the expectations set

there's something so incredibly alien about their music, thinking specifically about MHTRTC and geogaddi
>>
>>63845267
I find oneohtrix point never to be more otherworldly.
>>
magic window
>>
>>63845300
*Produced by Pooty Tang
>>
>>63845267
Really? I don't see them as super alien at all. In fact, I find there to be something so deep rooted and familiar about them, even if the memories and thoughts they conjure are sort of false. For example, my childhood was nothing like a pastoral environment filled with the wonders of nature; I lived in a suburban neighborhood, but listening to BoC would have me believe I grew up in an way like the former situation.
>>
All of you edgy faggots pretending Dayvan Cowboy isn't an excellent track...
>>
>>63845626
it really isn't tho
not even trying to be contrarian, it's just so out of place even on tch and just not very interesting
>>
>>63845471
interesting perspective... i can definitely agree that there is a very nostalgic kind of quality to them, their music does bring me back to my childhood. but it doesn't feel like it comes from there. it's like i'm viewing it through a filter, everything's somehow hazy and off, like it's from another universe

or maybe I just saw the MHTRTC cover and i'm impressionable, heh. it is a really powerful album cover imo, one of my favourites

>>63845626
i like dayvan cowboy, it was my first boc

but peacock tail is def the best from TCH
>>
From One Source All Things Depend

I can't believe they relegated it to a Japanese bonus track
>>
>>63845626
First off, no need to bring hostility into this comfy thread. And secondly, I think it's a good song, but not great. A bit too glossy for me.
>>
Gonna have to go with Roygbiv
>>
>>63845686
I'll agree my post was too acidic. I think the opening guitar distortion is gorgeous and it has wonderful splashy percussion. Really good track that is deservedly popular.
>>
>>63844867
Dat coda. One of my favorite BoC moments
>>
File: ifeelit.gif (464 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
ifeelit.gif
464 KB, 500x271
>>63845734
>post yfw the climax at 3:09
>>
Favorite song: 1969
Favorite interlude: Sundown

Something about Sundown that just speaks directly to me. I was going through some pretty intense shit when that album came out and that song made me so emotional.
>>
>>63845661
>but it doesn't feel like it comes from there. it's like i'm viewing it through a filter, everything's somehow hazy and off, like it's from another universe
Your actually sort of on the money here - at least in regards to what they're trying to convey. I read an article with them and they said (I think it was Mike?) it's not JUST about being nostalgic or transporting you back to 1970 or whatever. It's about taking you back to a former time and then taking a sharp right turn - exploring alternate timelines or possibilies and taking a divergent path from a point in the past. It's supposed to be sorta familiar, but not just a reliving of past events. I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this lol, wish I could find the interview.

Of course that's just BoC's interpretation and it's in no way the only "right" or "true" way to think about their music.
>>
>>63845734
I love the first half a lot actually, it just escalated a tad too much for my taste. But I appreciate that they made a track that's just SO different for them though. So much bombast in that track.
>>
File: philippine-eagle_img01-l.jpg (121 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
philippine-eagle_img01-l.jpg
121 KB, 600x450
An Eagle in Your Mind

>All of the percussion on "An Eagle in Your Mind" was created using cut up samples of Michael Sandison's girlfriend's voice (Remix Magazine, 2002).

I still can't wrap my head around this
>>
Anyone know of any albums similar to Campfire Headphase? I love the way they used guitars on that one, it reminds me of the Bastion soundtrack.
>>
>>63838287
Why won't BoC do an AMA on WATMM (or hell even Twoism) like AE did? :(

That would be the best thing ever, "mysterious personas" be damned.
>>
>>63845908
have you tried Bibio's stuff? he does a lot of ambient/electronic with acoustic guitars
>>
>>63845867
>>63845734
I always liked the video. The free falling first half and the surfer second half. Felt like it matched the mood of the song.
>>
>>63845908
Tycho's entire discog is basically a ripoff of that album desu
Bibio OS good like that other anon said
>>
Clocks
>>
>>63845908
Honestly it's way different than TCH but Fennesz does some wonderful still with guitars + electronics.
>>
>energy is becoming one of our country's greatest concerns if we don't start working on energy conservation there may not be enough energy to go around by the time I'm a pimp
>>
>>63837986

Open the light
>>
>>63845823

>exploring alternate timelines

that's exactly what it's like, it's almost scary
>>
slow this bird down
devil in the details
>>
more like BOREDS of canada because they are so frickin BORING!
>>
>>63847087
rood
>>
>>63847087

go to bed joel
>>
>>63837986
an eagle in your mind is the best come on now
>>
Tears From the Compound Eye
>>
>>63845626
I love it. Maybe it's because i come from a background as guitarist but idk. The guitar is amazing.
>>
Left Side Drive
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.