[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we done pretending that Earl isn't one of the best rappers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
Are we done pretending that Earl isn't one of the best rappers of the 2000's?

I mean, LOL WEED AND XANAX memes aside, you gotta admit at some point that he's permanently fixed himself into the history of hip hop.
>>
i'm not a 12 year old white boy though, how can i relate
>>
>>63837216
I agree with this
>>
the album's not that good

earl can do better. he's bringing something completely new to hip hop
>>
>>63837348
Yeah, you see that's the problem with /mu/ as of late. They can't just accept when somebody has a genuinely powerful voice in music without this bubble of insecurity.

Everything's a fashion statement on /mu/, and that's why nobody has any real discussions. That's why nobody likes any music. It's not cOOL to like anything. And nobody on /mu/ can let themselves like something that isn't cool.
>>
>>63838448
I can appreciate your frustration, but if you think that has anything to do with /mu/ specifically and not pop music appreciation as a whole, you are an infant
>>
>>63838448
it's not a fashion statement, it's a deathwish
>>
>>63838520
That's true, but I think the anonymity of 4chan makes the pressure feel more apparent. Because when some idiot tells me that the music I like is garbage, I can think/say "yeah, you don't know shit" because they probably don't. /Mu/ pretends to know what they're talking about, and the only thing we really know about each individual on this board is that they're really really into music. There's always some part of your brain that feels like that makes them some authority on good music, even though we all know it isn't true.
>>
>>63838627
what you're saying there doesn't necessarily have to do with what you said above

the above has to do with the way the youth uses music to define their own identity. that is part of what pop music is, in its essence. it is the music for the youth to define what is cool. that is always a war of images.

the doubt sewn by anonymous contrarianism on the other hand is a 4chan thing, but that's very healthy if you take it with a grain of salt and use it to challenge your own preconceptions

and yes there are occasionally knowledgable people here, on this board and others
>>
>>63837216
Doris is a severely underrated album and if it wasn't for the fact it's HURR DURR ODD FUTURE it would rank pretty high when it comes to meme rap standards.
>>
I don't really understand the hype for Doris. This is coming from someone who used to love Bastard but has since removed anything Odd Future from my library. I mean, are you guys just depressed? I've listened to it twice and I still haven't felt anything after besides malaise.
>>
>>63837216
Earl is just average. Debut mixtape was good
everything else has just been showing glimpses of something good but he never follows thru. just 6/10 albums

Needs to quit this holy than thou pseudo intellectual shit he does on twitter also
pure cringe
>>
>>63838839
I don't doubt that there are pretty knowledgeable people on here. And I'm actually a big "fan" (for lack of a better word) for 4chan's culture of contrarian, opinionated people. It's can be a really interesting, and intellectually provocative (instead of just emotionally provocative) thing. But what comes with that can become a hivemind. Similar to how South Park hates on everything, and actually dismisses the thought that there could be somebody who's *right*. And as a result, nobody is challenged by South Park, because the only point they make is that you're stupid, and you're gonna be stupid no matter how much you try. Calling somebody wrong only matters if it's implied that they *can be* right.

Being surrounded only by contrarians doesn't lead to anything, because there's nothing to fight anymore. It's all wrong. And everybody's the same in their hatred for everything else.
>>
>>63839156
>Needs to quit this holy than thou pseudo intellectual shit he does on twitter also pure crince

lmao shut up bitch
>>
>>63840945
>crince
>>
>>63840945
hi earl

i respect you greatly as a musician but your twitter is cringe af

learn from tyler or keep quiet. better for your image
>>
>>63841010
>>63839156
What's wrong with his twitter?
>>
>>63839614
first of all, this is an exaggeration. there are pockets of allegiances everywhere. the ideological sphere is highly varied and democratic but will never be truly atomized. and there are always broader, hidden oppositions those sensitive to the patterns of life can suss out over time.

second of all, everything that exists can be questioned but everything is a failure to some extent. to have a hatred of failure is to have a love for something better.
>>
>>63841193
I believe this is true for the most part. But there's something inherently negative about the increasingly popularizing "u mad" culture that thinks badly of anybody who has emotional attachment to right and wrong. Really, the second you try to be "cool" you're doing something wrong. Most of what I said can be summed up with "people try to be cool too much."

And that's a nice way of putting it. I guess that can be seen when an album comes out that's so clearly better than anything else before it, and people celebrate it immediately. Over time those failures become more noticeable, and it becomes increasingly funnier to see somebody see it as perfect when you're already past that stage of appreciation. As long as that initial celebration exists, I feel like that's a healthy way of going about listening to music.
>>
>>63841010
Lol this isn't Earl
>>
>>63838448
>>63838520
>>63838627
>>63838839
>>63839614
>>63841193
How much do you spend per day to write these scripts?
>>
>>63841430
You see, this is what I'm talking about when I say people try to be cool too much.
>>
>>63841612
seek help
>>
>>63841752
get a gf, have sex with her, and then maybe you will feel a little bit better about yourself
>>
>>63841785
Out of boredom, i will reply

I already have that, you are the one on the pedestal now
>>
Everything after EARL is shit

EARL is the real MMLP2
>>
>>63841955
ok
>>
he is one of the best of the 2010s, there with kendrick/chance/vince/danny/etc. i think people didnt dig i dont like shit as much because these same people were fans of doris and odd future's early output. earl's going to pick up if he tones down the depressive aspect of his music, which i suspect he will. love earl either way, i thought idls was great
>>
>>63838537
it is bad that i got that reference
>>
>>63842125
IDLS was a great album, I like it even better than Doris probably. Mantra and the beat after it into Faucet. Perfect.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.