[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Made a thread this morning but had to leave for work. Arthur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1401x788-scan0001.jpg (328 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-scan0001.jpg
328 KB, 1401x788
Made a thread this morning but had to leave for work. Arthur Russell. Thoughts?
>>
greatest of all time
>>
kanye sampled this nigga its lit

nah jk
i only heard world of arthur russell it's pretty good i like the more disco/dance tracks
>>
Isn't that the guy that Kanye sampled?

Lucky guy. Probably has a bright future ahead of him.
>>
>>63837013
leeel
>>
Fuck Kanye. Arthur is too good for him and his Hypebeast fanbase.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDX0I_14OY0
>>
>>63836970
I really like Arthur Russell, but I do find it hilarious how revered he is. He's a pock-faced weirdo that made outsider cassette-core and died of AIDS. Most people like the idea of Russell more than his actual music - which is incredibly amateurish and draining to listen to at any real length.
>>
24→24 Music is one of my faves
>>
fav thing by him is First Thought Best thought and his disco stuff

Listen too him off and on but never became obsessed with him like jandek/ Tragic life story tho :(
>>
>>63836984
Karriem Riggins sampled him, not Kanye
>>
>>63837404
>amateurish and draining to listen to at any real length
that's your opinion.
>>
>>63837967
forgot to also add >>63837013
>>
>>63837404
lmao
>>
>>63837404
>>63838025
to add something: i didn't even know about russells story when i fell in love with how his music sounded. just a really baffling opinion
>>
>>63837264
love this tune so much. Its so qt
>>
>>63837404
>outsider
I'm pretty sure he was heavily involved in not one but several of the scenes of New York at the time and was far from an outsider. Just because you're too pleb to make it through World of Echo doesn't mean no one else likes it
>>
>>63838614
he was involved in the dance music scene but made clunky, off-kilter, homespun loops... his work is the very definition of "outsider". Also, I literally said I do like his music. But to pretend it's not inherently amateurish is hilarious.
>>
>>63838742
He studied music at school too. You've got to have a pretty broad definition of amateur if you're taking that into account. I think any idiosyncrasies you're referring to are more the product of limited resources rather than any sort of lack of knowledge that you're implying with the term "outsider
>>
Actually just listened to World of Echo and Tower of Meaning today and loved both. Are there any other albums with the atmosphere of Echo? because it blew me away
>>
The bass on World of Echo is amazing. Is it from plucking his cello? Closest sound I've heard to it is Colin Stetson's weird drony sax.

BTW 30 Hours would be the best song on TLOP if it were the Soundcloud version with no outro.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.