[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about Rush? I've put them off for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1452037306137.png (28 KB, 1024x656) Image search: [Google]
1452037306137.png
28 KB, 1024x656
What do you guys think about Rush?
I've put them off for too long and finally decided to listen to Moving Pictures, Tom Sawyer is a really good song. Just wondering what your opinions on them are
>>
File: 77.jpg (39 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
77.jpg
39 KB, 700x700
>>63833493
>listening to rush
>>
It's dad rock.
>>
They're good, listen to the title track of 2112 next.
>>
>>63833493
I prefer their synth stuff more than their hard rock material
>>
>>63833493
they solid, but not really that relatable for future generations, so I think they'll go down in history as a cult thing, especially since most young people now only know them from I Love You, Man
>>
The epitome of dadrock, with a couple gems like Moving Pictures, 2112, etc. however the rest of their discog that isn't prog is usually really bland.
>>
>>63833493
Permanent waves, Moving pictures, Signals, and Grace under Pressure are all that I need.
>>
i really like rush
one of my favorite bands, really good discog
mid 70s to mid 80s is best imo (a farewell to kings + hemispheres are my favorite albums)

>>63834815
>implying all dadrock is bad
>>63834871
only the 80s stuff after signals is kind of bland
90s shit is very bad
>>
The thing about Rush (or at least 80s Rush, basically the more well-known version of rush) is that they're cheesy and ridiculous...yet they make you smirk and feel "gooooood" on the inside. They're just catchy, cheesy, well-recorded pop rock music that do their job well.
>>
>>63834928
>no avant meme aesthetic means it's cheesy

I feel like /mu/ is beyond jaded and can't actually enjoy music for what it is
>>
On most of the Rush fansites I've been to, I've seen fans say that Rush changed drastically/went downhill "post-Signals", or that GUP-HYF was their "keyboard-fest nadir."

And honestly, I don't understand this. To me, while Grace under pressure makes heavy use of synths, it's still quite different sonically from the next two, and closer to Signals. Unlike those albums, where the synths are used mostly for glam and 80s cheese (at least to me), the synths on GUP are used to create an appropriately frigid "nuclear winter" atmosphere.
>>
2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel are their best albums by far. Listen to all of them in full.
>>
>>63833493
Rush are pretty fun to listen to, but they aren't really substantial as music. Part of the reason why I tend to not think of them too highly is because of their lyrics and vocals, though I can't put my finger on exactly why.
>>
>>63835364
The lyrics aren't really sincere for me. They convey they message nicely and use alright metaphors and stuff but they lack that personal emotion for me.
Also probably disconnect between Neil writing lyrics and Geddy singing them adds to that even more
>>
Not that I listen to them much anymore. But when I did I always thought Rush was a good balance between rock and roll and prog. They were a good middle ground.
>>
Everything from their first album to Permanent Waves is GOAT. They lost me when they stopped being guitar driven, and started being synth driven.
>>
I love Rush. They were my favorite band in high school. I've seen them 3 times. Only downside is after Power Windows, they took a nosedive in quality imo.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.