[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trumpet vs Saxophone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: hey.jpg (11 KB, 300x246) Image search: [Google]
hey.jpg
11 KB, 300x246
I want to pick up a new instrument this summer. I already know how to play guitar/bass, drums, and piano. What should I learn next: Trumpet or Saxophone and why?
>>
File: 1459653203285.jpg (571 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1459653203285.jpg
571 KB, 700x700
>>63768531
learn how to pen capo
>>
Trumpet seems like the way to go because it takes up less space
>>
play tuba

that's how i got a girlfriend
>>
Both are great. Trumpet is easier when it comes to hand positions but harder for breathing and embouchure development.

Sax is easier, just blow and play, but learning to operate the valves is of course harder because there's a lot more of them.

I'd pick the sax because ezpz. It's good as a secondary instrument.
>>
I've played both sax and trumpet, the sax is incredibly easy compared to trumpet, unless you progress into really complex stuff, the muscle control required for a good tone/range on a brass instrument is much more difficult than working all of the keys on a woodwind.

Woodwind apologists are the only people who would consider the 16 or so buttons on a saxophone as difficult as having to utilize a different mouth position for literally every note on a trumpet.
>>
I don't play either but I've heard that the saxophone is the easier instrument to play off like you're actually ok at it. Apparently until you're really good with a trumpet you always sound terrible with it.
>>
Oboe you faggot
>>
>>63769317
>>63768983
Double reeds are an exception because of their absurd reed tendencies.
>>
>>63768531
sax is a god-tier instrument, anon. Do sax with me and we'll post our progress in 6 months.
>>
I'm a US Army bandsman on saxophone.

The sax may seem easy at first, it is one of the easier beginner instruments, but it is incredibly difficult to play well. The embouchure requirements are really challenging for a beginner. The beauty is that you really need to develop an embouchure that can be adjusted on the fly for various styles. There is so much going on when playing the sax that I can't begin to explain.
As a professional saxophonist, I am also expected to be able to play both flute and clarinet at a working level.

It's also expensive. Here's a run down of the costs of the instruments I personally own, not including the ones I have through the Army.

Soprano Sax:
>Selmer Paris Series II - $2500 used
>Selmer S90 Mouthpiece - $150
>Vandoren V16 Mouthpiece - $100
>Vandoren Optimum Ligature - $70

Alto:
>Selmer Paris Series III - $6500 new
>Selmer Paris S90 Mouthpiece - $180
>Jody Jazz Bullet Mouthpiece - $180
>Woodstone Ishimori Ligature - $100
>Oleg Olegature Ligature - $100

Tenor:
>Selmer Series III - $4500 used
>Selmer S90 Mouthpiece - $180
>Otto Link NY Metal Mouthpice - $220
>Jody Jazz HR* Mothpiece - $180
>Vandoren Optimum Ligature - $80
>François Louis Ultimate Ligature - $75

I also have a Buffet Clarinet and a Yamaha flute.

While these are all professional equipment that I have acquired over time since college, it is still a large financial investment.

Before the Army started paying for reeds for me, here is a run down of my reed expenses for around 6 months (one box at best).

Soprano
>Vandoren Tradition 3.5 for classical
>Vandoren Java Red 3 for jazz

Alto
>Vandoren V21 3.5 for classical
>Vandoren V16 3.5 for jazz

Tenor
>Vandoren V21 3.5 for classical
>Vandoren Java Green 3 for metal mouthpiece jazz
>Vandoren Java Red 3.5 for hard rubber mouthpiece jazz

Each box runs 30 bucks. Granted, I really wouldn't use a full box of soprano reeds in 6 months.

Sax be expensive.
>>
>>63770383
thank you for your post, armyman
>>
>>63770383
>>63770383
Through the Army, I also have 3 more instruments

Alto
>Yamaha Custom EX - $5000

Tenor
>Selmer Paris Reference 54 - $8000

Bari
>Selmer Paris Series III - $10,000
>Selmer Paris S90 Mouthpiece - $200
>Vandoren V16 Mouthpiece - $200
>Vandoren Optimum ligature - $80

All of these were free to me.
>>
There aren't many trumpet players that aren't absolute cocksuckers personality-wise.

I love playing sax, but the major thing about it is that it is very loud. If you live with people or in an apartment, it might become a problem. Though if you also play drums it shouldn't be too big of an issue.
>>
Here's a rundown of a quality beginner instrument and cost for saxophone.

Yamaha Advantage Alto - $2500
Yamaha 4C Mouthpiece - With horn
Neotech Neckstrap - $30 (fuck the included strap)
Rovner Mark 3 Ligature - $30 (fuck the included ligature).

Use Rico Royal reeds, size 2.5.

You should always start out on the Alto. It gives a very solid foundation for when you venture out into the other saxes.

Also, get a teacher. There is so much intricacies going on while playing that there is no possible way of catching all your mistakes.

I didn't take lessons through middle or high school and when I got to my freshman year of college, I had to essentially relearn how to play the sax. I had to practice a lot to overcome more shortcomings. I was on what I picked up from older saxophonists and pure natural talent alone through high school.

Learn your fucking major scales.

Learn your goddamn major scales.

You know what makes learning any instrument easier? Learning your scales, starting on the 12 major scales. Starting on C all the way to F#/Gb and back to C.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.