[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Right now I think we're in the same position we were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 6
"Right now I think we're in the same position we were in 1989-90 just before Nirvana broke. Music back then was nothing but generic dance music, pop, and novelty songs. There was nothing that actually spoke to what the kids were feeling. It happened before and it can happen again."
>>
>>63767484
Bleach > foo fighters whole discography
>>
>implying kids can feel anything
They're just germ factories and brainlets.
Also you aren't helping, Dave.
>>
I would say wrong generation but Grohl is just one of those old people that can't handle any change in music or anything else.
>>
Dave grohl=reallife peewee
>>
Rock is dead. Get over it, fedoras. Go and masturbate to your copies of LZ IV and Screaming For Vengeance.
>>
>>63767605
>Right now I think we're in the same position we were
>>63767679
>>63767698
>>63767735
>falling for this obvious bait

Grohl never said this
>>
>>63767735
That makes for an interesting discussion on why it died.
>>
>>63767758
Well, he plays the foreverclassclown, so, at that point, since he's a broke record, i don't give a fuck what he 'said'. Anywhich.. To just comment on that idea, regardless who authored it this time, To think 'thinking man's art' can ever be a 'social revolution', is an ever recurring idiot's ruse.
>>
>>63767790
I say rock died because it stopped being made by young people. When most of the principle founding fathers of rock became literal senior citizens and the youngest rock stars are middle aged guys from the 80s-90s...yeah.
>>
>>63767970
Rock as technique is canon by now. Really, everything's already 'canonical'. To think some style is gonna 'win this one', is all overwith... As Arthistory gnawed itself dead. It's all going towards what's in a prolonged, sturdious experience of certain music.
>>
>>63767970
>>63767970
Rock as technique is canon by now. Really, everything's already 'canonical'. To think some style is gonna 'win this one', is all overwith... as Arthistory gnawed itself dead. It's all going towards what's in a prolonged, sturdious experience of certain music.
>>
>>63767970
But the Rolling Stones et al were already middle aged dudes by the 80s yet young people still took up rock back then. However, the kids have just...stopped doing it in this generation for whatever reason.
>>
>>63768377
A big part of it has to do with the fact that this is the most mixed generation. I'm not trying to go /pol/ on this thread but the fact of the matter is pretty much the only people I know who're into rock who're under 25 are almost all white or white mixed with something else. Most minorities tend to listen to hip-hop, edm and/or just mainstream pop.
>>
>>63768454
Most kids in GENERAL listen to not-rock. It's a small fraction of them at all that listen to rock. Depending on your local demographics it probably has more to do with numbers than with ethnicity or ethnic-specific culture.
>>
>>63768454
So what you just said is, "Manual dexterity is 'higher' in us whites." <beckons insanely volatile black sorority>
>>
>>63768377
There's a big difference between a 40 year old Mick Jagger and a 70 year old Mick Jagger. The 50s rock-and-rollers like Little Richard were just middle-aged back then as well, not 80 year olds.
>>
>>63768504
Nah it's generally because listening to rock is a "white thing" and that's not really cool.
>>
>>63768504
I've still noticed that generally speaking the kids who're listening to rock tend to be white.

And I'd dispute the idea that it's a small fraction of white kids who listen to rock music.
>>
>>63768567
What you say is true but I would bet that there is a notable number of minorities who listen to rock too, they just keep it on the down low.
>>
>>63767484
He's right. B52s were one of the top bands back then
>>
>>63768548
>rock
>a white thing

I'm 18 and I've never heard this said ever. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

As >>63768504 said, more than likely just proportional to your area. If wherever you live is 70% white and only, say, 30% of teenagers listen to rock you probably won't notice the non-white people there.

Or this is blatant pol-bait I'm falling into.
>>
>>63768624
Dude, the B-52s had their one and only hit 11 years before Nevermind.
>>
>>63768662
I live in the Bay Area, one of the most diverse places on Earth and I still stand by everything I've been saying.
>>
Ppl just have 'too much'' of a ingrained etiquette towards rock as canon, other things as not canon, so non-musicians think (us) musicians will all rip them to shreds if they say one thing technically wrong. There are no monopolies on anything worthwile. Anywhich way, his 'quote' didn't really adress 'rock' as 'the future', it was just his generic mandelacomplex.
>>
>>63768704
>Bay Area

oh, that explains a lot. That's like hipster central #2 right behind Portland. Guaranteed to have 0 % rock and roll and 100% faggots.
>>
>>63768508
The difference is that 70 year old Jagger is better because he's embraced that the 60s/70s were his heyday and actually tries to performs those songs well again whereas 40 year old Jagger was still making unfortunate attempts to reinvent himself in the 80s.
>>
>>63768508
And what about all the 80s-90s guys? They're not that old yet compared to the Beatles generation. Even after all the Millenials who grew up with RHCP, Korn, Linkin Park, and Green Day, none of them apparently were inspired to pick up a guitar the way James Hetfield was after hearing a Led Zeppelin or whatever record for the first time.
>>
>>63767484
I hate this ignorant retard so much.

>music in '89 to '90
>nothing but dance and pop

Christ.
>>
>>63767544
correct, regardless of the bait
>>
>>63768762
I'm speaking as a native and talking about the native population.
>>
>>63768762
The metal scene in the bay is one of the best in America desu
>>
>>63768771
IDK. It's interesting to ponder why all that 90s-2000s shit didn't spawn another generation of aspiring young rockers like how Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones inspired Metallica's generation.
>>
File: tumblr_lzn64wUEBv1qldlyho1_500.png (69 KB, 250x191) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzn64wUEBv1qldlyho1_500.png
69 KB, 250x191
what a fucking old faggot lol
>>
>>63768662
>I'm 18 and I've never heard this said ever. I don't think it has anything to do with that.

I get busted on it all the time for it by friends and family, I'm around your age
>>
>>63768824
yeah but that's metal, which has always been way more underground than rock. If we're talking about more mainstream music SF is poop.
>>
>>63768771
I was listening to Henry Rollins talk about the first time he saw The Ramones and how it changed the way he saw music, and the only moment I've had that even compares to his feelings would be the first time I heard [spoiler]Death Grips[/spoiler]
>>
>>63768766
You're kind of right. The Stones by now have pretty much accepted that they're old and they just play because they like doing it and it's the only life they know.
>>
>>63768845
A lot of the rock now might be inspired by them but they're not trying to recreate it. St. Vincent for instance says Nirvana and Pearl Jam were big influences on her starting to do music. Just because people don't want to copy their influences doesn't mean they aren't influences.
>>
>>63768898
but we're talking about the east bay senpai
>>
File: vundabar-gawk-crop-690x414.png (203 KB, 690x414) Image search: [Google]
vundabar-gawk-crop-690x414.png
203 KB, 690x414
>>63768504
but all the not normies that exist and you are just forgetting
>>
>>63768898
Maybe it's just my family then. My brother (10 years older than me) played in a rock band in high school and got me into metal and rock, and my mother is a huge punk fan.
>>
>>63768908
Mick Jagger and Richards hate each other.
>>
>>63768934
meant to reply to>>63768885
>>
>>63768771
>RHCP, Korn, Linkin Park, and Green Day

I wouldn't be inspired to be a rock star either if I had to listen to this shit. Rock was already dead by the nu metal era. Those bands were just urinating on the corpse.
>>
>>63768898
Who gives a fuck about what's mainstream, I thought the topic was big local acts.
>>
>>63767484
for pop music possibly, but there was obviously better music as a whole at that point in time
>>63767605
>brainlets
phahaha what is this word
>>63767735
I know this is bait but I know you also mean this seriously, so why don't you say what your favorite music is
>>
>>63768845
Gen Xers didn't really play the same kind of music as boomers anyway; their modus operandi was punk. You notice by the 80s-90s, blues had really kind of disappeared from rock. I think it was partially a generational shift because the bands of Cobain's generation weren't influenced by bluesmen like BB King and Howlin' Wolf.
>>
>>63767790
Rock has just been done to death. Everything's already been explored and people resorted to just copying the past because of nostalgia. I love rock but it should have died years ago.
>>
>>63768778
But he's right
1990's biggest hits were Vanilla Ice, Millini Vanilli and Madonna
>>
>>63768965
This

I grew up listening to rock and then realized "huh, most of this is really awful"
>>
>>63768697
bullshit
>>
Rock peaked in the 70s with Elton John
>>
only white people listen to rock

some hispanics also listen to metal.

white people are dying off, rock is dying off. internet kills any money for rock music

black people only listen to hip hop . hip hop is shit now.

everything is shit
>>
K. Lamar, Kanye and even fucking Drake express deeper feelings and use more interesting composition than his entire Foo Fighters buttrock shit, fuck him.
>>
File: Gene Simmons.jpg (29 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
Gene Simmons.jpg
29 KB, 624x351
"Rock music is dead. Rappers are the new rock stars. They're edgy, they have attitude, they flash around stacks of money, they ride around in a limo with girls hanging off their arms. I mean, we all love that, right? They make you want to be them. The point is that rock stars aren't supposed to be 'ordinary' people. And then at some point along the way, they became ordinary people. And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked, and people stopped listening to it."
>>
>>63768965
I actually kind of agree on why Gen Xers took up the torch of rock from boomers, yet Millenials did not take up the torch from Gen Xers. I don't think any 2000s kids ever regarded Limp Bizkit with the awe that 70s kids accorded to Led Zeppelin.
>>
>>63769494
What is reading comprehension?

Saying the biggest thing at a point in time doesn't mean that's the only thing that existed does it?

If Kanye West is currently the biggest artist, does that mean only Kanye West exists?

Fuck, look at a rym chart or something.

Anyway Dave Grohl should just grow old and die already and shut his fucking mouth.
>>
>>63770349
>I don't think any 2000s kids ever regarded Limp Bizkit with the awe that 70s kids accorded to Led Zeppelin.
Gee I wonder why
>>
>>63770264
>>63770349
You have to consider that rock stars in the 70s had a kind of mystical aura to them. Kids would sit around and debate what the exact words of a song was because they didn't print lyric sheets back then and it was pretty hard to make out the vocals on a vinyl record. And then all the rumors like Robert Plant practicing occult stuff or Ozzy Osborne biting the head off a bat. And of course Kiss who never showed their real faces.

As Michael Jackson said, a successful performer needs the power of mystery. There's no "mystery" about Nickelback. And if you had to grow up listening to that kind of music, it's no surprise you wouldn't want to emulate them.
>>
Totally. When I was 15, we made fun of nu metal bands. Heck, even if I'd hear some 70s tune on classic rock radio, I'd wonder "Why don't the bands today sound like that? They don't even play solos or anything cool. They just do boring power chords."
>>
>>63770264
Sad to think he's basically right.
>>
Sometimes I wonder about people like Dave Grohl that make the same music over and over for 20 years. At that point it's no different than a day job working at the office. If I was in a band I'd wanna grow as a musician and try to push the boundaries of what I can do.
>>
I'm not sure if in the Internet age, a performer can ever truly have the mystery he did 40-50 years ago.
>>
>>63771133
Either he has no talent to begin with (likely) or he just doesn't gaf because he's rich and you'll still buy his crap anyway.
>>
>>63767484

This fucking plebeian needs to start listening to more shit
>>
>>63768766
That was a thing in the 80s with a lot of Beatles-era artists. They were kind of lost and directionless. Too old to run with the kids, too young to exploit the nostalgia bandwagon.
>>
>>63771139

I'd say Iceage are still pulling off the whole mysterious rock gods thing. You just gotta know how to play the media (and be ridiculously attractive)
>>
>>63767484
>Rock as a musical sound/songwriting formula
Dead as a doornail. Technology has made it possible to employ a much more diverse range of sounds with relatively little resources.
>Rock music as an ideology (diy, counterculturalism, etc)
Has a potential of living on if people are willing to embrace new sounds.

Of course the 'rock' music of 2020 will sound different from the rock of 1990. That's part of my problem with Grohl- he's clinging to an aesthetic that people have moved on from.
>>
>>63771139
Death Grips kind of did it at the beginning, memes aside.
>>
>>63770591
In that sense, Kurt Cobain was really the last rock star. Kids back then sure as fuck did sit around and debate the meaning of his extremely vague, nonsensical lyrics. Of course there was not yet an Internet in the early 90s and IIRC, they didn't print a full lyric sheet with Nevermind. Also Nirvana does appear to be the last notable band that really inspired kids to pick up guitars and emulate them.
>>
It's funny 'cos all the rock stars that have died this year, people of all different ages were mourning Lemmy and David Bowie yet nobody under 45 seemed to miss Glenn Frey.
>>
>>63771386
Which itself is kinda funny because I remember during middle school Hotel California was talked about by dadrock kids more than any of Motorhead or Bowie's songs.
>>
ITT: /mu/ rehashes tired tropes about rock music "dying" because of a fake quote misattributed to a talentless hack
>>
>>63771316
>Of course the 'rock' music of 2020 will sound different from the rock of 1990. That's part of my problem with Grohl- he's clinging to an aesthetic that people have moved on from

Did you know that they said Duke Ellington wasn't "real" jazz because he didn't sound like the stuff from the '20s and they said Miles Davis wasn't real jazz because he didn't sound like Duke Ellington and so forth. Downbeat Magazine in 1940 famously ran a piece denouncing "moldy figs", ie. Luddites who didn't accept any recent developments in jazz.
>>
>>63771414
And gets more actual music discussion than any of the other threads in the catalog atm
>>
>>63771413
Lot more radio play ;)

Still, I doubt those kids actually knew the names of any of the guys in the Eagles.
>>
>>63768662
It's absolutely true. Rock is "white" while hip hop is "black". Guess which is seen as cooler?
>>
>>63771386
I gotta applaud Lemmy for never giving up the rock star lifestyle even in his last days. On their final tour, they'd still have the amps cranked up to 1970s Who concert levels and...well, you should see some vids on Youtube. Lemmy's frail, cancer-addled body looked like it was literally going to be knocked over by the shock waves from the sound system yet he never asked the stage technicians to turn down the volume.

He also never stopped drinking and doing drugs although he cut back significantly in the last two years of his life.
>>
>>63771510
I went to see Motorhead in San Francisco in 2012. I remember it was in a theater and the sound was so muddy you couldn't distinguish any of the songs unless you were a hardcore Motorhead fan. And Lemmy looked like an old ass man just standing still and trying to get through the set. Then came Valient Thor and they were just loaded with energy and enthusiasm.
>>
>>63771386
My sister who is 25, she was all like "Aw gay, David Bowie died." "Aw gay, Lemmy died." but I don't think I ever heard her mention anything about Glenn Frey.
>>
>>63767484
no, that was ten years ago
also fuck off back to /r/music
>>
>>63771565
Well to be fair David Bowie was David Bowie, for all intents and purposes Lemmy was Motorhead...weren't The Eagles pretty much The Eagles? Like, they didn't really have a specific figurehead like the other two did? Really asking, don't know enough about them to actually say.
>>
>>63771558
He was still kicking ass into his early 60s and it was only after turning 65 that you noticed him really slow down. I have to applaud the guy for effort anyway. Not many 69 year olds with terminal cancer would be try to get up on a stage and play speed metal.
>>
>>63769470
Rap pop and edm has been done to death too retard.
>>
>>63771188
I think his problem is that, at least from interviews and such I've seen, his mind is more like that of a rock loving teenager, he can't see that genres other than rock can be original sounding and speak to people as well.
Also, I get the feeling that he doesn't think before speaking a lot to the time.
>>
>>63771669
Thinking is not rock and roll
>>
dw guys someone will come along and fuck up the mainstream, its always happened in history. We're in a drought at the moment in my opinion. These past few years have been really terrible for music, you can argue there is still people releasing music that is inspirational and you just have to look for it, sure. Still i think unless you have an active music passion you wont search up new music you'll rely on what the media talks about etc. Right now i feel we're reaching a catalyst. Its only a matter of time before someone with some actual genuine musical talent/passion steps up and just blows all this artistically shit stuff out of the water. Its happened since the 1500s it'll happen again
>>
>>63771705
his idol Neil Young would disagree
also, this makes me wonder how he reacts to the fact that Neil Young has pretty much the opposite point of view on about everything music related than he does.
>>
>>63771629
>and it was only after turning 65 that you noticed him really slow down

That's what medical experts call the "terminal drop" theory. This basically says that your body starts to shut itself down shortly before death.

"The term 'terminal decline' or 'terminal drop' has been defined by Riegel and Riegel (1972, quoted in Kunkel and Morgan 1999) as 'a sudden drop in performance about 5 years prior to death'. As a phenomenon, terminal decline has been observed in the area of intellectual functioning in old age."

Therefore, if Lemmy succumbed to cancer just after turning 70, then according to the terminal drop theory, he would have began physically slowing down about 5 years earlier which directly correlates with what people observed of his performances at concerts.
>>
>>63771841
The irony is that Neil Young is a very uneducated man who's passionate about a lot of things, but very ill informed on them. By his own admission, he hardly reads anything.
>>
>>63770264
this is actually pretty accurate, and I don't see it as inherently a bad thing, trends come and go and always have.
>>
>>63771907
you don't have to be well read to be a thinker.
>>
>>63768454
your adorable
>>
>>63771644
Have you tried listening to anything in Hip-Hop outside of the pop charts?
>>
>>63771925
>>63771907
also, I don't think keeping up with news has anything to do with one's opinion on the direction of music, he is deeply in the industry, so it's not like he can't just observe what is going on around him, which is all that is really needed.
>>
>>63771941
Nice job bringing up counterpoints to my argument.
>>
>>63771644
EDM is a very varied genre that has been around since the late 80s, EDM is not all just wubstep and EDM trap.
>>
>>63771879
Well, if that's true Donald Trump likely won't go anywhere for a long time because he looks and acts like he's in his 50s while Hillary (same age) looks like she's 80. I'm not kidding. She looks and talks like a corpse.
>>
>>63772072
don't fucking try to turn this thread into another /pol/shit thread
>>
>>63771879
My grandmother broke her hip when she was 79 (after having been completely healthy up to that point) and she died at 86 which is 7 years and she would have died earlier than that except for medical treatment. That just about fits into this 5 year decline you mention.
>>
>>63772072
lyl it's sad when even the 76 year old Bernie Sanders is more lively and energetic than Hillary.
>>
File: bill-clinton-600.jpg (53 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
bill-clinton-600.jpg
53 KB, 600x324
>>63772072
Bill looks awful as well and he sounds so tired and weak compared to the way I remember him from when I was a kid. I don't think he was ever the same again after his Big Mac-induced quadruple bypass. That would be brutal on anyone.

That and all the pacts the two of them signed with the Prince of Darkness.
>>
>>63767484
He literally never said this.

>>>/trash/
>>
>>63772072
>he looks and acts like he's in his 50s and has Alzheimers
FTFY
>>
Absolutely nothing relevant to music has been said in the last 8 posts.
>>
>>63771335
Yup. It took a few days for people to figure out Zach Hill was in it, and I don't think people found Stefan's old music until the time The Money Store dropped.
>>
File: Landshark!.jpg (5 KB, 150x151) Image search: [Google]
Landshark!.jpg
5 KB, 150x151
Mary had a little lamb
>>
>>63772072
Not even death will stump him
>>
god fuck this douche

how can someone so deeply rooted in DIY punk music be such a reactionary clueless moron
>>
>>63767484
Feminism killed music
>>
>>63767970
>>63768077
>>63768115
>>63768377
>>63768454
>>63768504
>I've never been exposed to anything even approaching underground DIY music

plenty of kids go nuts for rock music and plenty of them are POC.
>>
>>63771565
Underage and b&
>>
>>63771955
Most people sure haven't.
>>
>>63767484
Dave Grohl has been making generic rock music for like.. more than an entire decade now. Good job Davey!

also SHOEGAZE REVIVAL WILL HAPPEN AND IT WILL TAKE THE WORLD BY STORM
>>
>all this r/music ITT

y'all are all completely disconnected from any kind of current meaningful music/cultural movements
>>
>>63771230
>tfw attractive
>connected like the fucking alphabet in cursive
>band breddy goddamn good at what we do
>I know damn well how to manage image and "play the game"
>half of band is very unattractive but are also vital to band

my only hope is to play off tumblr body acceptance shit desu
>>
>>63771432
That's the funny thing about 4chan isn't it
>>
>>63771760
At least we have Swans.
>>
the problem here is of course thinking that nirvana made some kind of revolution when its was just another major record label thing to make more money
>>
>>63774412
This. Jeff Rosenstock live had all kinds of folk there. His drummer was black with the longest dreadlocks I've seen on anybody.
>>
>>63775263
yep, and even that is BARELY underground

/mu/ is full of out of touch loser's whose relationships with music begin and end with the internet
>>
>>63771139
The band Ghost went almost 4 years before people really tracked down who was in charge, and even then there's only one member whose name is confirmed. And they just won a Grammy. Granted, it was for what I consider to be their weakest material to date, but you know.
>>
>>63771386
What can I say? I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man.
>>
YOUNG THUG CONFIRMED THE NIRVANA OF OUR GENERATION
>>
>>63767484
So I Googled this quote and you literally just made it up, you faggot
>>
>>63771139
So basically if Nick Drake was born into this generation he'd be an R9K shitposter
>>
>>63774412
Underground is irrelevant to this discussion, we're talking about the mainstream.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.