[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommend me some good 80s industrial.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: Pretty_Hate_Machine.jpg (58 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
Pretty_Hate_Machine.jpg
58 KB, 500x496
Recommend me some good 80s industrial.
>>
File: mut58025[1].jpg (169 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
mut58025[1].jpg
169 KB, 1200x1200
>>
File: atomizer.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
atomizer.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
listening to right now
>>
>>63763518
that's post-hardcore, not industrial
>>63763437
I assume you mean industrial rock. Unfortunately that mostly kicked off in the 90s, but No Wave is a precursor of industrial rock so you might wanna try Foetus.
>>
File: 5887278[1].jpg (44 KB, 595x595) Image search: [Google]
5887278[1].jpg
44 KB, 595x595
>>63763673
electro-industrial was around in the 80s mang
>>
These albums are not Industrial

This is Industrial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wBWhyKgW0
>>
>>63763733
>Cabaret Voltaire
>not industrial
>>
>>63763697
not industrial rock like NIN
>>
>>63763733
Oh let me guess you're one of those noisefags who believe that it can only be industrial if it sounds like a bee farting through an amplifier?
>Throbbing Gristle
Not as bad as I expected but that doesn't make you qualified to tell what is and isn't industrial.
>>
>>63763999
Nine Inch Nails is not Industrial. Pretty Hate Machine is pop electronic music inspired by Industrial. Industrial music is historically associated with the noise and experimental scene. Industrial elements =/= Industrial. Don't act bold about something you don't actually know about. Throbbing Gristle and Monte Cazazza created the term Industrial music.
>>
>>63764046
Fuck off with your pseudo-purist posturing.
You just have a fetish for excruciatingly expensive and complicated analog equipment that sounds like shit.
I have a fetish for homemade percussions but I don't go around saying that only Chu Ishikawa and Test Dept are true industrial.

Even Noisuf-X is industrial. Especially if I adhere to your "historical associations" standard since there's a historical continuity between all trends in industrial music.
>>
>>63764152
>You just have a fetish for excruciatingly expensive and complicated analog equipment that sounds like shit

That's a wonderful example of an exaggerated assumption

Nine Inch Nails is not Industrial. Pretty Hate Machine was inspired by industrial. The closest Reznor came to Industrial was with Broken and TDS, which are more on the side of Industrial Rock. Industrial as a genre is and always has been associated with the "pure" examples of music associated with the aesthetic and sound of its creators. You seem like you're just afraid of what you thought was Industrial being associated with something you don't like. I'm not saying all Industrial has to come from the past. Nine Inch Nails is just not Industrial. There is a difference between Industrial and Industrial Rock, or electronic music influenced by the techniques utilized in Industrial music.
>>
Everyone in this thread is autistic
>>
File: Front.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Front.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
Clock DVA
>>
>>63764216
No I'm just tired of seeing posers assume that "industrial" can only refer to a very narrow scene rather than a genre with a loose historical continuity and many subgenres and trends.

Thinking of industrial as "pure" is silly anyway, because the more you narrow it down, the harder it becomes to distinguish it from musique concrète and all kinds of noise music.
>>
>>63764152
I sorta agree with you that there is a line of historical association and influence from old school industrial up through industrial rock and the various dance industrial genres but there needs to be some way of distinguishing this stuff because otherwise the word "industrial" would have no conversational value. if someone was to ask for "industrial music" they could be asking for anything between assemblage 23, godflesh, and SPK.
>>
File: chrome 3rd from the sun.jpg (790 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
chrome 3rd from the sun.jpg
790 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>63764295
That's why industrial happens to have a shitload of redundant subgenre names that people use to tell their preferences apart, just like Metal.

people who like industrial in general just say "industrial" as opposed to, say, power noise, death industrial, aggrotech, industrial rock, metal percussion ensembles, martial industrial, old school EBM, etc...
>>
File: 1437937057493.jpg (90 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
1437937057493.jpg
90 KB, 500x394
>>63764287
4 Hours is such a good fuckin song
>>
>>63764046
Finally someone who knows their shit.
>>
>>63763437
The Young Gods
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x333
>>63764216
>Nine Inch Nails
>not Industrial
>>
>>63764294
>Posers

There's that fucking word again

Look, Nine Inch Nails is not Industrial. Reznor himself has said numerous times that his music is not Industrial. The vocals, harmonics, and melodies in his music do not exhibit the qualities of Industrial music. The reason people are so quick to argue against people who want to claim that bands like NIN are Industrial is because the two are VERY different. To deny the "purity" of the Industrial genre is to outright deny the unique and defining aesthetics and common patterns of visual art and sound that encapsulate what Industrial music is. There is a big big difference in the compositional aspects of Industrial music and NIN, not just in the instruments used. If you make a thread looking for Industrial, people who actually know the genre are going to come here thinking of actual Industrial acts, not NIN.
>>
>>63764399
Yeah this dude's got it
>>
>>63764443
I rarely see good industrial threads on /mu/
>>
>>63764476
Go to the /noise/ general and start stuff. It welcomes Industrial discussion and severely lacks decent discussion in general.
>>
>>63763437
That's synthpop not industrial
>>
>>63764399
I think the point people are trying to make is that there is a common thread that runs from "classic industrial" through to NIN and 90s Industrial rock/metal.

No one is trying to claim that NIN is akin to early industrial music. But the industrial influence is quite clear. That's why they are generally grouped under the name of "industrial rock", because it is a subgenre that melds elements of industrial with a rock structure.

The same is the case with a lot of the bands and projects that sprung up in the 80s after the first wave of industrial. Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy, etc took the stylings of industrial and blended it into synthpop.
>>
>>63764399
Trent Reznor is an idiot if he doesn't acknowledge industrial rock as a subgenre of industrial music.

there's no purity of industrial music, there's just common themes and inspirations, and a historical continuity.
If it sounds edgy and mechanical, and if it's even remotely based on the guys who released their stuff through industrial records and whatnot, then it's industrial music. But those original projects aren't any purer than Alien Vampires and Rammstein, they just happened to be the first ones to correlate a certain approach of music with certain themes and aesthetics.

Like seriously would it scorch your balls off to just say "early industrial" like any sane human being?
>>
>>63764501
this, please. I'd love to see more industrial discussion in /noise/
>>
>>63764443
He does not.
>>63764476
That's because noisefags ruin them by circlejerking over SPK, Genocide Organ and Throbbing Gristle.
like so>>63764501
>>
>>63764501
>>63764545
Industrial is mostly noise, there is little distinction between them other than the fact that industrial is mostly rhythmical while proper noise is improvised.
>>
>>63764574
Early industrial, yes. Before it became really interesting and diverse.
>>
>>63764506
And the point I'm making is that people shouldn't be getting pissy about Industrial fans trying to actually talk about Industrial and getting mad at people who correct them because the two are incredibly different.

>>63764516
>Like seriously would it scorch your balls off to just say "early industrial" like any sane human being?

Well, considering Industrial made today still exhibits the same aural qualities as in the past, demonstrating what actual Industrial music is in comparison to music that contains Industrial elements...

>>63764545
>Industrial threads ruined by people talking about Industrial

Don't get mad because you don't like the genre and think it's something it's not.
>>
This thread is full of faggots
Nitzer Ebb
Severed Heads
Front 242
Einsturzende Neubauten
FM Einheit solo
Everyone remove head from ass.
>>
>>63764600
Well I do like the stuff made out of abrasive loops like Pagan Muzak, instead of the synth stuff. The way I see it industrial makes heavy use of non-instrument-made sounds in a way that is musical.
>>
Gotta love the Pretentious Industrial Douchebags/Dickheads that come out of the woodwork when NIN gets called "industrial".

Get over it, your precious underground genre had some mainstream exposure.
>>
m i n i s t r y
>>
>>63764751
Gotta love the morons who call anybody who proves them wrong "pretentious".
>>
>>63764751
I don't care what NIN is labeled, and I don't care about your butthurt either. I just want to talk about industrial without shitflinging.
>>
>>63764783
That was my first post of the thread. I expected you people going REEEEE when OP posted a NIN album with the words "Industrial" in the post.

>>63764784
Where did I express my butthurt?
>>
>>63764784
Then make a thread or go to one that's actually about Industrial. Come to the /noise/ general. If you want to talk about Industrial Rock, make a thread about that. The two are too different to try and merge the two in your assumptions.
>>
>>63764857
The tone of your post sounds butthurt, I like NIN, though I wouldn't call it industrial, nor do I care that people do that.

>>63764860
They may be different, but they fall under the same umbrella/web. I'm willing to talk about both in this thread, that is what it should be for.
>>
>>63763967
>>63763673
autism
>>
>>63765039
Buzzwords
>>
>>63765014
If anything my post sounded more condescending than retaliatory butthurt.

Anyways I noticed someone posted Big Black in this thread and do find it interesting that Songs About Fucking had that what could arguably be technically-but-not-necessarily industrial rock sound released a year before Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey. Just my two cents to be honest familia.
>>
Imagine if Youth Code ends up moderately successful, mainstream music sources will briefly talk about industrial music again
>>
>>63765112
I think some of Swans stuff is closer to actual industrial rock than NIN. Gira used tape loops since the 80s, and I'd consider The Body Lovers as proper industrial, that and Bill Rieflin worked on it.
>>
>>63764397
They're not industrial though, keep laughing
>>
can't go wrong brochinsky

https://youtu.be/7vM3QAjWH8Q
>>
>>63763673
>>63763967

I actually just posted Pretty Hate Machine as the image because I had it saved up on my computer and that it was released in the 80s so it fit the topic. I'm actually open to all types of industrial not just industrial rock. And I've listened to more than just NIN. I've listened to other industrial artists like Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly (among others). Sorry for the confusion and horrible shitshow I clearly caused in this thread.
>>
File: 1690862.jpg (54 KB, 488x490) Image search: [Google]
1690862.jpg
54 KB, 488x490
industrial pop music was popular even before NIN...
>>
>people doesn't know the difference between industrial and post-industrial

You all have ears, people. Later TG wasn't even industrial anymore. NIN is just synth-rock.
>>
>>63765237
Eugghhgh never seen that one
>>
itt: /mu/ struggles to find industrial music
>>
>>63763673
I mean, ministry was in the 80S and they're industrial rock
>>
>>63763437
great album but it's just edgy synthpop
>>
If only we could turn post-industrial into a widely accepted umbrella term for modern industrial acts, we wouldn't have this discussion. And get the cyber kids to learn the difference between EBM, dark electro, electro-industrial, aggrotech and futurepop while we're at it.

>tfw made the aggrotech essentials long ago
>tfw that shit sucks and I regret it

ANYWAY,
Ministry
Skinny Puppy
Front 242
Nitzer Ebb
Coil
Clock DVA
Foetus
Laibach
Psychic TV
SPK
NON
Severed Heads
Throbbing Gristle
Test Dept.
Nocturnal Emissions
>>
>>63763437
Pic related is best
>>
>Why is it so perfect?

I was listening to the woodstock performance when I stumbled upon this thread.
>>
>>63766324
OP here. I was thinking of posting Skinny Puppy's Bites as the image. However I already had Pretty Hate Machine on my computer so I just decided to post that instead. I did not expect it to spark so many arguments. I guess Industrial has the same problem Punk has: people arguing over what's considered part of the genre and what isn't.
>>
>>63764501
>>63764530
To be honest I never knew industrial was considered noise. Have I been listening to noise the whole time and just didn't know it? Also, is all industrial (including industrial rock) considered noise or is it just specific sub-genres of industrial?
>>
>>63768316
Industrial and Noise are different, though incredibly tied together historically and in terms of sound and aesthetic. Industrial rock is way further away from noise than plain Industrial is.

Industrial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnnNCUtN58

Noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4CMdiOFtl4
>>
>>63765123
That would be cool, though I'm not crazy about Youth Code. I've tried to listen to them, not really into their music. But hey if that means industrial music becomes trendy again I'm all for it.
>>
>>63768316
>To be honest I never knew industrial was considered noise.
it's not. noise evolved from industrial but the two are distinct genres. /noise/ on the other hand should be the place for discussing old school industrial.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.