[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Next SWANS Album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: mgira.jpg (653 KB, 1194x1194) Image search: [Google]
mgira.jpg
653 KB, 1194x1194
Release Date: June 17th
Title: ???
Tracks: (titles only, order not yet know)

>People Like Us
>Frankie M
>Cloud of Unforming
>When Will I Return?
>The World Looks Red
>The World Looks Black
>Cloud of Forgetting
>The Glowing Man (The new title for Black Hole Man)
>Finally Peace
>>
File: R-7559389-1444925251-7089.jpeg.jpg (290 KB, 600x673) Image search: [Google]
R-7559389-1444925251-7089.jpeg.jpg
290 KB, 600x673
1/2

>People Like Us
This is a good-bye to Swans as we now know it. I hope to sing it more intimately on the record and just wish I could croon like Jim Morrison on Crystal Ship but that's sadly not in the cards so I'll find another path.

>Frankie M
This song has gone through a lot of variations since we first started playing it on tour over a yera ago. By the end of touring it seemed to arrive at a final stage, so I'm looking forward to rearranging it completely in the studio. Hopefully the clothes it is wearing on this recording will be unrecognizable once we're finished with it. Some ideas: female choir vocals with the cymbal swells, acoustic-based during the verses (I'd like to put some "Satelite of Love" stle backing vocals in there too, but not sure), and the end part is anyone's guess.

>Cloud of Unforming
This was recorded on the night when the song The Apostate morphed into Cloud of Unknowing. The groove at the end of Apostate was seeming slogy and predictable to us, so I think when it was supposed to come in I just signaled to not go there, and instead did something else on my guitar and it just flowed, improvised by all of us, into the beginnings of what was later to become The Cloud of Unknowing (which will appear, more fully realized on the upcoming album). This track is one of my favorites on this collection, because it captures a moment of uncertainty and reaching.

>When Will I Return?
I will not be singing on this song on the new record. It was written, as a gift, specifically for my wife Jennifer to sing. The trick for her will be to sing this dispassionately, veiling but simultaneously indicating the emotion that obviously is indicated by the words. I think this song will remain quite sparse, with a few sounds wafting in here and there and I expect the rhythmic outro to be gussied up a bit.
>>
>>63760415
2/2

>Cloud of Forgetting
This song was quite new and not yet fully formed when this was recorded. Everybody plays lovely, but Christoph's ever-ascending arpeggiated lap steel part is beautiful and I'm toying with the idea of augmenting it with strings. I intend to play my guitar part (the main groove you hear here) on the acoustic guitar and I intend to sing in tune on the record.

>The Glowing Man (The new title for Black Hole Man)
Well this thing has morphed all over the damn place since we started playing it, even before To Be Kind was recorded (The Bring The Sun part of this recording, that is) and since BTS in now integral to Black Eyed Man, we're going to record it again for the new album, with new arrangement and including the modulations that now occur within it. Why not? Black Eye Man is a provisional title used here as I struggle to come up with an acceptable replacement for "Black Hole Man" which just ain't cutting it. Those words were something I came up with on the spot live but I can do better. Anyway this thing will be totally rearranged beyond recognition, I hope. I suspect more female vocals will be involved along the way. This thing was often quite ecstatic to play, and I recall once, just once, completely losing my mind and sense of self and when I returned from wherever I went discovering that I was weeping like a baby.

>Finally Peace
If I have my way this will be a quite "pretty" pop song that will dissolve into a narcotic cloud of sound I forsee a sizeable cast of players on this one.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/michael-gira-details-swans-valedictory-new-album/

“It is epic,” he said of the album he described as “Ben-Hur coupled with Kurosawa’s Ran.” “One piece has 240 separate tracks. But there are also a lot of delicate moments. There’s a lot of orchestration — strings, horns, female singers.
>>
File: MOJO_March2016_Swans_1024x1024.jpg (300 KB, 819x940) Image search: [Google]
MOJO_March2016_Swans_1024x1024.jpg
300 KB, 819x940
>>63760441
Original MOJO Article (Date has changed since from May to June 17th)
>>
Happy it has a confirmed release date now.
I am really curious to see what the art is like.
I think it would be cool if they did a homage to the classic Swans with the text at the top and bottom.
>>
File: SWANS DISCOGRAPHY .jpg (1 MB, 1500x1691) Image search: [Google]
SWANS DISCOGRAPHY .jpg
1 MB, 1500x1691
People Like Us would make for a great album title, I hope they go with that.
>>
AOTY honestly
>>
File: 300.ab.muniz.021511.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300.ab.muniz.021511.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>63760519
I feel like it will be "The [something]" again. "The End" would be kinda cool desu
>>
>>63760441
>If I have my way this will be a quite "pretty" pop song that will dissolve into a narcotic cloud of sound I forsee a sizeable cast of players on this one.

I absolutely cannot wait to hear Gira's take on a pop song, it is probably going to be amazing.
>>
>listening to a rapist
>>
>>63760395
Source on June 17th? Also, Im pretty sure it will be titled The Glowing Man
>>
>>63761098
>Source

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/michael-gira-details-swans-valedictory-new-album/

Originally the MOJO article listed it as a May release, but after CoS picked up the story, they were contacted by Gira's publicist and given an exact date.
>>
>>63760395
this would be a cool cover
>>
>>63760944
All the more reason desu
>>
Title is The Glowing Man
>>
>>63760395
>People Like Us
Is that gonna be a Kelly Clarkson cover?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbMz_aBlMU
>>
>>63760669
me too man
>>
>>63761243
This
>>
>>63760441
I'm super excited now
>>
>>63761243
I don't see it. That title would be way different from any other Swans album titles in the past.

Although that title brings up some great album art imagery though. If they're sticking with the theme of the last three, we're getting some figure at the center of it.
>>
>>63761581
I bet they'll stick with the figure at the center, this is supposed to be a trilogy after all
>>
>>63761581
the cover is not always related with the title.
the seer has nothing to do with the dog on the cover
>>
So what happened with Larkin. Did she get btfo? I left /mu/ for a while after the initial reports.
>>
>>63761581
https://www.reddit.com/r/swans/comments/4cplrx/michael_gira_confirmed_the_title_of_the_new_swans/
>>
>>63761743
Isn't it a wolf?

The Wolf is part of The Seer trio of tracks, it serves as the intro, so I always took it to be part of the album title.
>>
daily reminder that in the mfwgmuar bonus track you hear a dog barking, a baby crying, and then a woman screaming

the glowing man will have a woman on the cover, screencap this
>>
>>63760395
>2016
>unironically supporting a violent rapist

shaking my head right now to be honest with you family
>>
>>63761770
OH SHIT.

Alright, I can't wait to see this album art now.
>>
>>63761774
it looks more like a Yorkshire terrier than a wolf
>>
Raping a Slave Part II Return of Mike "the Piledriver" Gira
>>
>>63761872
>The name of the album and title track came from Swans performing the title track multiple times instrumentally until Gira soon sang, "I see it all, I see it all," which he thought fit the music.[8] The artwork from the album was based on a tempera wolf painting by Simon Henwood and featured Gira's teeth on the wolf.[5]
>>
Do you really think this will be the last album? I'm not so sure. Gira seems like the person who would make art forever if he could.
>>
>>63761770
This is a very different title for Swans. I guess the closest to this would be "Cop" they've never really centralized it around a single figure and has always been pretty broad.
>>
>>63761951
it's the last album of this "incarnation" of swans or whatever
>>
>>63761951
He's already said it won't be. It's the last one with this line-up. Gira's said that he doesn't want to fall into comfortability and turn predictable with SWANS. So while he loves everyone in this line-up, I guess he doesn't want it to become formulaic.

So whatever the next album will be, it'll be a very different sound from these last 3. Much like Children of God was different from the no wave albums, and SFTB was different from White Light and The Great Annihilator.
>>
>>63761951
He's been making music non stop since 1982, I highly doubt he wants to change that.
I can see him reactivating angels of light with some of the members from the current line up of swans.
>>
>>63761951
Idk but I want a new angels of light album
>>
>>63762069
FOR REAL we are him is honestly better than anything he made with the new lineup and will definitely be better than whatever comes out next
>>
>>63762149
We are him is very different from what he is doing now. They are incomparable.
>>
>>63761826
I'll bear this in mind for the future.
Imagine if it's Gira's wife....
>>
>>63762382
or larkin grimm lol
>>
>>63762230
hmm that's strange you'd call them incomparable since i like, definitely just compared them and all
>>
File: untit.jpg (124 KB, 618x411) Image search: [Google]
untit.jpg
124 KB, 618x411
>>63761826
>The Glowing Man
>Album art is a glowing woman
>>
>>63762446
What I meant is that you're stupid for comparing them cause it's utterly pointless.
>>
It's so weird to see Gira's twitter after listening to his music from his alcoholic years. I'm glad he's cleaned himself up, but it's kinda jarring.
>>
>>63762519
>Gira's twitter
He has one?
>>
>>63762519
he doesn't have a twitter
>>
>>63762519
Pretty sure Gira doesn't have twitter.
>>
>>63762538
>>63762541
>>63762549

Oops, I mean Facebook. I never really use them, so they're all the same in my head.
>>
>>63762575
Has he posted anything interesting on his wall lately? I don't have facebook so I can't look at it
>>
>>63762616
He mostly just shares music he likes.
>>
>>63762616
you can look at public facebook pages without an account.
>>
>>63762616

Not really. He just shares random songs that have influenced him with RYM review tier commentary.
>>
>>63762616
it's the same what he posts on the band's official facebook page
you can view it without an account
>>
>>63762616
mostly popol vuh and tibetan chanting
>>
>>63761758
She deleted everything off of facebook. P sure she's at least a little insane
>>
Over or under 2 hours /mu/? Predictions? How long will the longest track be?
>>
>>63763552
Longest track is already confirmed to be 28 minutes, it's in the MOJO article.
>>
>>63763986
Damn, Gira has gone soft.
>>
File: The_Seer.jpg (342 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
The_Seer.jpg
342 KB, 1200x1200
>>63761872
The point of the photo from what I've always seen, is it's kind of like an optical illusion. Some people pick more of the wolf-life features out, some the dog.
>>
>>63762857
>>63761758
>>63761830
I think she's clearly a little crazy too, but then again every single person involved in that is. I think she deleted the stuff because harassment, but who knows.
Nobody here should really be taking sides or believing anyone because still, even now, no conclusive proof has come out. The closest we've gotten is the testimony of Gira's wife at the time who larkin "supposedly" says she called to tell her about what happened.

Just fucking ignore it. It didn't turn into anything beyond facebook drama.
>>
>>63760395
oooh nice its coming out on my birthday
I'm excited
>>
>>63764074
you forgot about the teeth
>>
>>63761830
>violent rapist
hah, good luck family. You didn't even read the post did ya?
>>
>>63764074
>>63764120
The more I focus on the teeth the more unsettling that picture is
>>
>>63760944
>as if that changes the fact that swans is one of the greatest rock bands of all time
>>
>>63764109
I hope this mess didn't cause a delay for the album.
>>
>>63764034
But there are 2 others that are 22 and 23 minutes. So just those 3 tracks is 1 hour 13 minutes, there's still 6 more tracks after that.

It's gonna be a long fucking album.
>>
>>63765035
Wouldn't mind a delay 2bh. Gives them more time to make sure the album is as good as possible. It's the final statement of Swans as we know them, it's following up the Seer and To Be Kind.. it has a lot to live up to and while everything I've read so far says that it will, an extra couple of months doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>63765068
The Seer 3 longest tracks: 32, 23, 19 = 74

TBK: 34, 17, 12 = 63

New album: 28, 23, 22 = 73, about the same as The Seer.

Absolutely no complaints from me, although >30 is always a nice milestone.
>>
I'd like to see them live before it's all over, missed them the last times they came around
>>
If my predictions are correct this album will be an 11/10
I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true
>>
File: VERYfastgira.jpg (162 KB, 755x820) Image search: [Google]
VERYfastgira.jpg
162 KB, 755x820
>>
>>
Wait so is Gira re-retiring outright or is he just dismantling and restructuring Swans again? I always thought it'd be great if he collaborated more actively with Ben Frost at some point
>>
>>63767780
Dismantling and restructuring
>>
>>63767780
Dismantling and restructuring. I'd love to see some crazy shit with the new lineup, like some minor musician like St.Vincent who's been backup for other bands joining the group.
>>
>>63766617
kekekek
>>
>>63764124
>supporting a literal murdering, necrophiliac rapist

rot in hell you foul cretin
>>
I like some of their songs.
Where should I start if I want to really enjoy their work?
>>
>>63760441
>described as “Ben-Hur coupled with Kurosawa’s Ran.”

This is some Kanye tier bullshit
>>
>>63768543
>Kanye tier bullshit

Do you honestly believe your own words saying that?
>>
>>63764109
Honestly, what sunk Larkin's claim for me was Margaret Morris's post where she stated that the incident Larkin posted had actually taken place within Margaret's relationship with Thomas Ellis. Which if correct, paints Larkin as a spectacularly shitty person. But still, we don't know for sure, so
>Just fucking ignore it.
>>
>>63768499
There's a Swans chart. That's pretty good. The Seer is a rough spot to start

>>63768651
Larkin's deleted comments during the PR Blitz about this, as well as the fact that both Gira's wives, his current one who has been raped and the one who it happened during, didn't believe it really made me question it.

Can I get a link to what you are talking about btw?
>>
>>63768499
There are so many different styles and genres, nobody can point you to anything and say what you would enjoy most.

You said you've listened to some stuff and like it, well keep listening to the era from that material?

Children of God is a great starting point, it's a really heavy record but not quite as punishing as the no wave albums before it, if you liked the heaviness of it, move backwards, if you want more lyrics and spacious melodic instrumentals move forward to White Light and Love Of Life.

Here's an image of all their material >>63760519
>>
File: Swans Chart.jpg (727 KB, 2437x1448) Image search: [Google]
Swans Chart.jpg
727 KB, 2437x1448
>>63768499
>>63768722
I should have elaborated. here's the chart.
Listen to the song Failure if you want to get a good grip for Gira's voice. The Seer is a good span for all the various intensities the band can get to, but it is a daunting sit, especially for a first-timer. The Great Annihilator is a good, accessible one, but I feel like if you listen to it first you may think it's their best and they have done stuff better than that.

>>63768725
>Children of God is a great starting point
Yeah, this is very, very true. If you enjoy at least the first 2 tracks of that album when you listen to it, you can probably get into swans. If you don't, try listening to some other stuff from every era.
>>
>>63768722
There was a picture being posted on 4chan during the shitstorm that compiled a whole bunch of mostly Facebook posts from Gira's camp and former associates of Grimm, which included Morris's statement. I regrettably didn't save it, but someone else might be able to put it up. If not, the statement should still be on Morris/Heroes Are Gang Leaders FB page.
>>
>>63768958
The reason I ask for it is some of the stuff we saw getting posted around that time was fake. Not most of it, but some.
>>
File: 1457190141900.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1457190141900.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2000
>>63768958
>>63768999
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2779) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2779
>>63768958
>>63769089
>not posting the full version
>>
>>63768999
I know about the fake email at the start, were there any other confirmed fakes?
>>63769089
Much obliged, anon.
>>
>>63768958
>>63768999
I found it on her FB:facebook DOT com SLASH margaret.morris.moon/posts/10153398788271517

I think to get a good, solid case to review here we need to some of the stuff we're getting from the other side and compare it. >>63769089
Does a decent job though. Saving this for sure in case I ever need to talk about this with my friends.

If we get a list of links or how many of these have been deleted, that could further prove this in case anyone thinks any of this is fake.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.