[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some great DnB albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12
File: dnb.jpg (61 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
dnb.jpg
61 KB, 1024x1024
What are some great DnB albums?
>>
File: 1318502712819.jpg (460 KB, 1600x1422) Image search: [Google]
1318502712819.jpg
460 KB, 1600x1422
>>
black sun empire - from the shadows
alix perez - 1984
blu mar ten - love is the devil
cyantific - ghetto blaster
sunchase - static nitro
parhelia - southern cross ep
logistics - fear not

>>63754487
seconding that future prophecies album and bachelors of science album, two of my favourite dnb releases
>>
WHO IS MY FAVORITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
>>
Dillinja - Cybotron

some newer stuff
lenzman - looking at the stars
om unit - inversion
lee bannon - alternate endings
>>
>>63754487
London Elektricity is an embarrassment to dnb tho.
>>
>>63754487
>>63755469
where do u guys find good new dnb? i've been listening to some podcasts eg london elek and etalheadz
>>
>>63756544
rateyourmusic dnb charts, only place i find out about music
>>
>>63756544

Hardwax man.

Just check under UK Labels, new drum'n'bass pops up now and then.
>>
File: 74a2230d.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
74a2230d.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
Almost everything with this band.
>>
Noisia - Split the Atom
>>
File: goldie_timeless_031213.jpg (167 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
goldie_timeless_031213.jpg
167 KB, 530x530
>>63754418
Pic related cannot be rated highly enough.

Omni Trio, Klute, 4hero, Photek, A Guy Called Gerald, and Squarepusher all have multiple good dnb LPs to their names
>>
File: folder.jpg (214 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
214 KB, 600x600
>D&B
>Albums

That aside, if we ignore Jungle completely then the following are the best D&B LPs.

Digital - Dubzilla
Alaska & Paradox - Isolationist LP
Klute - Lie Cheat & Steal / You Should Be Ashamed
Calibre - Second Sun
Boymerang - Balance Of The Force
Dom + Roland - Industry
Bad Company - Inside the Machine
London Elektricity - Pull The Plug
Stakka & Skynet - Clockwork
Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole
Ed Rush / Nico / Trace / Fierce - Torque
Photek - Modus Operandi
Goldie - Timeless
Omni Trio - Even Angels Cast Shadows
Phace & Misanthrop - From Deep Space

Torque and LC&S are the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHzR5o-W428

Dubzilla, Balance Of The Force, Isolationist LP and Pull The Plug are most underrated.
>>
>>63754418

>4hero
Parallel Universe
>A Guy Called Gerald
Black Secret Technology
>Amit
9 Times
>Aphrodite
Self-titled.
>ASC
The Astral Traveller, Open Spaces
>Big Bud
Infinity + Infinity
>Blu Mar Ten
Famous Lost Words
>Calibre
Any album.
>Cern
Terminus, Under Another Sky (two of the best albums from this decade)
>dbridge
The Gemini Principle
>Dom & Roland
Any album really, but start with The Big Bang.
>Ed Rush, Nico & Trace
Torque
>Ed Rush & Optical
Wormhole
>Klute
Any album, but start with Music For Prophet.
>London Elektricity
Syncopated City
>Nu:Tone
Future History
>Nymfo
Characters
>Omni Trio
The Deepest Cut Vol. 1
>Phace
Shape The Random
>Photek
Modus Operandi, Form & Function
>Seba
Return To Forever
>Shapeshifter
Soulstice
>Teebee
Through The Eyes Of A Scorpion
>The Invaderz
New Found Dialect
>T. Power
The Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind
These cover most of the subgenres and should get you started.

>>63756544

Dogsonacid and dnbforum are pretty good sites if you want to keep up with recent stuff. Also /r/dnb has decent threads every once in a while.

I use Funkysouls and Soulseek to download new releases, and Rutracker for discogs and older stuff.
>>
>>63758993

>tfw I posted almost at the same time as the Ninja

Sup man!
>>
File: folder.jpg (26 KB, 685x685) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
26 KB, 685x685
>>63759206
Sup. How's things.

I'm surprised you liked the Cern albums that much, I thought they were okay but nothing mind blowing desu. I should have included Infinity + Infinity on my list as well, proper huge LP.

I should think of a list for LP released only after 2010 since most of the stuff I listed is old shit apart from Phace & Misanthrop. Pic related is the likely to end up as the best breakbeat album of this millenium however.
>>
Anons I seize the occasion to ask something I wanted to know for a while : what's the difference between Jungle and DnB ? That was never clear to me !
>>
>>63759377

I don't know, the guy really strikes a chord with me. Terminus is probably my favorite D&B album of all time, tied only with Parallel Universe. I just think his tracks have so much soul and atmosphere in them, especially in Terminus. His drums and production are tight, but also each of his tracks seem to tell a story or follow a theme.

Yeah, I'd be curious to hear about your favorite LPs from this decade! I'm okay with it so far. I mean sure that are crap or mediocre releases every month, but some artists still have it in them and keep doing interesting things.

This year I'm anticipating the hell out of Dom's new album (please be the best thing ever), as well as new LPs from Klute and Blu Mar Ten which should be proper stuff. The new Keeno was a huge disappointment however, as was the Mikal album. And Shelflife 4 left me a little cold, compared to the previous volumes.
>>
>>63758251

I don't understand the point of posting a cover as a recommendation without giving the name of the artist.
>>
File: new technique ep.jpg (45 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
new technique ep.jpg
45 KB, 300x300
Nu: Logic - New Technique EP

On top of that Brookes Brothers, London Elektricty (his new album is really good), anything by B-Complex, Syncopix.
>>
>>63759707
Both genres are Breakbeat sub-genres characterised by use of break samples of mostly funk tracks which are chopped and rearranged into the drum pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNP8tbDMZNE

In Jungle this chopping and rearranging is more hectic and haphazard, the basslines are either huge rollers or not prominent at all with not much in between. The genre is more sample based and places less emphasis on creating actual synths in the tracks. Some Jungle heavily samples Dancehall MCs nd Hip-Hop tracks, some doesn't at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnY5q-IYqfw

In Drum & Bass the breakbeat sampling is more straightforward with less variation in the breaks in a track, it's usually the same pattern repeated throughout. There's more emphasis on creating synths and basslines to pad out the track than through the use of intricate sampling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St4P4m8hOlk

The confusion people have between the two is (apart from that one retarded wikipedia article saying they are the same thing) is that around 96 as Jungle was turning into Drum & Bass there was a less clear cut distinction between the two styles and this continued up until as late as 99 and people started calling mos things Drum & Bass for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSJHrpMA5g

But even earlier to this in the early-mid 90s the term Drum & Bass existed but it didn't mean what it means now (see Charly (Trip Into Drum & Bass version) on Experience in 1992).
>>
File: folder.jpg (635 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
635 KB, 700x700
>>63759713
>I just think his tracks have so much soul and atmosphere in them
The only LP I feel this way about is Calibre - Second Sun. Also looking forward to newest Dom & Roland, hopefully it'll be great since the revitalised Metalheaz has been mostly good.

My picks for post 2010 D&B LPs.

Klute - Music For Prophet
Current Value - Back to the Machine
Danny Byrd - Rave Digger
The Brookes Brothers - The Brookes Brothers
Basher - Transmission
Phace & Misanthrop - From Deep Space
Icicle - Under The Ice
Optiv & BTK - Dirty Tricks
Axi - Viking LP
Enei - Machines
Black Sun Empire - From The Shadows
Etherwood - Etherwood
Utah Jazz - Portfolio
Xanadu - Through The Oort Clouds
Fanu - Departure

Best is probably From Deep Space, most fun was The Brookes Brothers, most surprising were Viking LP (seriously), Through The Oort Clouds and Transmission (which was particularly amazing).
>>
haven't listened to it since about 2001...but it was a singles driven genre (like most dance music).

if you want to gauge what it was like in my day >>63754487 is completely inaccurate
>>
File: technimatic-desirepaths.jpg (126 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
technimatic-desirepaths.jpg
126 KB, 472x472
>>
>>63758993
>if we ignore Jungle completely
What happens if we include jungle? What are some more classics?
>>
>>63760445
This is /mu/, it can't grasp the premise of not listening to albums.
>>
>>63760383

Never heard of Viking LP and Transmission so I got some digging up to do. Cheers for that list!

My favorite Calibre would be Musique Concrete followed by Even If, and Volume 2 for the Shelflife series. Not the biggest fan of Second Sun (shame on me) but I can see the appeal. Huge Calibre fan nonetheless - truly one of the greatest.
>>
File: 02240369.jpg (40 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
02240369.jpg
40 KB, 500x281
>>63759901

Much appreciated!
>>
>>63754418
Anything by Original Sin. Trust me blud
>>
>>63760713
In terms of LPs? Because Jungle was even more of a 12"/EP based genre than D&B is.

>>63760792
The Viking LP was a total random find but it was great.

Surprised you liked Musique Conrete more than Second Sun, I think he peaked with SS. And yeah Calibre is one of the best.

>>63761167
>Recommending Jump Up
Why m8.
>>
>>63759713
Try Ivy lab - 20 questions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBc0ej7myY
>>
>>63760730
Still there's albums that are just a collection of songs but some artists put care into their work and make albums work on their own. But yeah most of them work off just singles and ep's. Noisia has released like 1 LP.
>>
>>63761215
>In terms of LPs? Because Jungle was even more of a 12"/EP based genre than D&B is.
Well, I listen to the singles I can get my hands on. But yeah, I'm curious to hear what Ninja's essential jungle albums are.
>>
>>63758251
swans?
>>
>>63759747
reverse search
>>
File: current-value.png (307 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
current-value.png
307 KB, 500x322
What's your guys opinion on the direction Current Value has been going for a while? I loved his Force Black EP last year but his new LP I find a but dull.
>>
>>63754418
I know Bowie once made a DnB album, how was it?
>>
>>63761449

Yeah sure but if you do not want to say anything about your recommendation at least give the artist name, it's boring to have to image search and it doesn't add anything
>>
File: folder.jpg (246 KB, 600x594) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
246 KB, 600x594
>>63761378
The thing with Jungle LPs is that they are usually more of a compilaton of tracks than a proper album, more so than D&B. And there's often a few of them that get released many years after the artist's best stuff.

Avoided comps of multiple artists and picked 30 this time.

Omni Trio - The Deepest Cut Vol 1
A Guy Called Gerald - Black Secret Technology
Kemet Crew - Champion Jungle Sound
Soundmurderer & SK-1 - Rewind Records
4 Hero - Parallel Universe
Nookie - The Sound Of Music
Bay B Kane - The Guardian Of Ruff
Remarc - Sound Murderer
Bizzy B - Retrospective
Shy FX - Just An Example
T.Power - The Self Evident Truth Of An Intuitive Mind
Marvellous Cain - Gun Talk
Adam F - Colours
Simon Bassline Smith - Intent - Natty Music
Alex Reece - So Far
Wax Doctor - Selected Works 94-96
Bong-Ra - New Millennium Dreadz
Chopstick Dubplate - 21 Murda Shots
サイケアウツG - vikalpa [分別]
Ray Keith - Contact
FFF - 20.000 Hardcore Members Can't Be Wrong
Cutty Ranks and Poison Chang - Rumble In The Jungle Volume Two
Kid Lib X Phineus II - Mystery In Space
Plug - Drum 'n' Bass For Papa
FFF - Keep The Fire
Prizna - 10,000 Babylon
Amiga Breaks - Journeys End
Source Direct - Exorcise The Demons
Dubtronix - Interfaze - Junglism Vol 1
Sky Joose - What's Your Style

>>63761459
I find most of his stuff to be quite samey, I like his committment to release things but there's not that much variation to his style, if you like Darkstep then you'd like everything he puts out, otherwise maybe not.

>>63761490
Not great. Miles Davis' proto-Jungle album was better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS56epCP9g8
>>
>>63762114
Thanks Ninja!
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.