[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /mu/, I have a couple questions, but first... >18 >Been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Capture240.png (123 KB, 330x286) Image search: [Google]
Capture240.png
123 KB, 330x286
Hey, /mu/, I have a couple questions, but first...
>18
>Been avidly exploring music for little over 2 years
>Embraced metal (mostly djent, sadly- since moved away from that trash) and prog early, but have been exploring every genre for almost a year now
>Been collecting albums (vinyl and CD) for almost a year and I have over 150 in my collection currently
>Listened to about 1000 albums
>Favourite album is Colors by BTBAM
>Still feel like a pleb compared to most of my peers
>Acknowledges how much shit is still out there that I need to listen to
Am I progressing at a reasonable rate?
Are there ways to keep myself from feeling rushed to listen to as much music as possible?
Where were you guys at this point in your life in terms of music?
How long will likely it take before I've covered everything that's essential?
>>
everything you're worrying about is completely unimportant. my only advice is to stop consuming as much as possible
>>
learning about new music to exceed your music taste isn't a rush... just let it flow. why do people make music seem like if "i have more i got a bigger dick" just chill no rush when it comes to discovering new music
>>
everything you're worrying about is completely important. my only advice is to continue to consume as much as possible
>>
>>63750425
lol
>>
you seem like the 18 year old that needs to know everything about every genre but has no passion towards them...
>>
"Essential" /mu/core crap will probably not top colors. It's mostly slightly different chords + vocal melody type stuff from what I've heard. Just listen to what your interest leads you to at a rate that's comfortable cause this isn't the type of thing to be competitive about in my opinionion.
Here's a rec for your progressive metalcore tastes though.
https://saveusfromthearchon.bandcamp.com/album/how-terrible-the-undergrowths-jaws-that-tangle
>>
>>63750467
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I want to feel excited listening to music again, but I feel subconsciously pressured.
>>
File: 4771562.jpg (136 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
4771562.jpg
136 KB, 600x600
Stop deluding yourself into thinking that there are essential pieces that you must consume in ordre to stop being a "pleb". You'll never be as cool as people with 50k+ rates on rym. Jokes aside, just continue listening to whatever you like and getting into other genres/artists that interest you. This shit literally doesn't matter at all. Some of the greatest musicians [spoiler]especially in metal[/spoiler] don't have that broad of taste and some of those with much extensive musical taste are complete hacks
>>
>>63750485
nah man dont do that... you won't enjoy music that way. i am 18 as well. try to find a friend that has a diff taste of music then you or just someone on the internet. going to record stores are nice. talk to the people that work there some have decent music taste at times haha :)
>>
File: my_pussy_right_now.jpg (721 KB, 3553x1987) Image search: [Google]
my_pussy_right_now.jpg
721 KB, 3553x1987
>>63750425
Sorry but it only counts if you have an rym and how many replies you get in the chart threads hun
>>
>>63750489
its sad how some of the music community thinks that having a bigger obscure library makes them a god lol
>>
so whats the point of a rym? never peaked my interest...
>>
>>63750544
>so whats the point of endless pussy
>>
>>63750544
it's p. good for cataloging and discovery. there are sites that do one or the other better, but none do both as well as RYM in my opinion
>>
>>63750569
woahhh... now i have to check it out ;)
>>
OP here
>>63750544
I find it's easier to organize my music. Stuff I want to listen to, stuff I liked/disliked, stuff I own, etc.
>>63750517
Literally everyone I talk to has a different taste. I try to gravitate towards them to get into the idea of enjoying other things, but it's usually just trash to me. My local record store is awesome. I stop in generally once a week.
>>63750489
Good advice.
>>63750472
I'm actually not big into progressive metalcore or even metalcore in general (with exceptions like Converge, Botch, Dillinger Esc Plan, Protest the Hero, and others).
>>63750456
>>63750451
Will take these into account.
>>
I totally just noticed that this >>63750443
wasn't the same as this >>63750456
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.