[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's /mu/'s thoughts on this musical? i want to hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
what's /mu/'s thoughts on this musical? i want to hate it but those beats and lyrics make me cum.
>>
File: penzance.png (53 KB, 161x164) Image search: [Google]
penzance.png
53 KB, 161x164
>>63716519
hijacking this thread, can there be patrician musicals? I'd say pic related, but i'm not an expert
>>
>>63716624
totally hijack it. i'd call Sweeney Todd a patrician musical too.
>>
The Death Grips of musicals

It's not bad on its own but I hate the people and the culture it represents
>>
>>63716519
It's decent. The melodies can be a bit obvious at times. Still an impressive achievement.

>>63716624
Hedwig and The Angry Inch
>>
>>63716801
You hate POC? Do you hate America?
>>
>>63716801
true,

at a liberal arts school and i'll hear someone humming or singing at least once a week. One of my friends and will sing as much of the soundtrack as she can in order until she passes out.
>>
>>63716624
Cabaret is Patrician tier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhHeILa3HE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co
>>
>>63716519
It's an educational hip-hop musical about an 18th century political figure of course it's gonna be corny AF. It's basically a multicultural PC repackaging of the old toxic american dream ideology, its obvious the media class was gonna hype it out of all proportion
>>
>>63716801
>the people and the culture it represents
Do you hate America, or Latin Americans? Black people? I don't understand where you're going with this
>>
>>63716951
No, I hate obnoxious-ass theater kids who listen to showtunes and never shut the fuck up about Les Miserables and this show and whatever the fuck else

I was friends by association with a lot of them in high school and even outside of theater they were all stuck up cringeworthy pieces of shit
>>
>>63717171
>black "culture"

>show is just recasting all nice people from story as PoC (Perpetrators of crime) or WHITE WIMMINZ and all evil guys are white.

I hate hate anon.

kys.
>>
File: howhedbpiurtiyontrhepkaent.jpg (28 KB, 468x254) Image search: [Google]
howhedbpiurtiyontrhepkaent.jpg
28 KB, 468x254
>>63717137
>educational hip-hop musical
>multicultural PC repackaging
>toxic american dream
Wow, this sounds fucking awful
>>
>>63717171
The culture of show tune loving theater kids who obsess over whatever musical is popular at the time. Was wicked for a while, then Les Mis for a hot minute, not it's this.

It's like how IAOTS is a good album with some substance but r/music fedoras say it's the greatest album ever made just because it's psuedo-obscure.
>>
>>63716519
Also the music has its moments and Lin-Manuel Miranda has some p clever lyrics but almost none of the actors are good rappers and it is very very obvious especially with certain individual characters

The showtune elements feel like they clash with the hip hop elements too at times
>>
>>63717225
why don't you listen to it and find out, really is much better than it would seem.
>>
>>63717334
>none of the actors are good rappers

You talkin shit about clipping, nigga?
>>
File: itsclippingsbitch.png (57 KB, 279x153) Image search: [Google]
itsclippingsbitch.png
57 KB, 279x153
>>63716519
Reminder that the rapping member of Clippings plays two major characters in the show
>>
>>63717377
>thinks the rapper's name is "clipping"
His name is Daveed Diggs, clipping. is the group he's in with two other guys.
>>
File: Urinetown.png (198 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Urinetown.png
198 KB, 960x960
>>63716624
>>
>>63717340
Sorry, I dont listen to politically charged and racially motivated propoganda
>>
>>63717656
So you're not a Trump supporter then.
Good man
>>
>>63717656
I bet you're fun at parties
>>
File: littleshopsm.jpg (247 KB, 610x575) Image search: [Google]
littleshopsm.jpg
247 KB, 610x575
>>63716624
Little Shop of Horrors = Patrician
>>
>>63716801
>the death grips of musicals
Holy shit we actually need a real one of these
>>
>>63717377
>>63717420
Oh yeah I didn't realize who he played/what he looked like but he was one of the guys that nailed it esp the first song with Jefferson in it
>>
>>63717620
this so hard
>>
File: SheLovesMe1.jpg (14 KB, 183x228) Image search: [Google]
SheLovesMe1.jpg
14 KB, 183x228
>>63716624
One of my favorites.
>>
Going to see this next week. Hope it's good.
>>
Musicals are kitsch at best. That one just happens to be trendy.
>>
>>63717410
I didn't believe you but you're right...
Wow
>>
it's the obama of musicals, if you hate it everyone calls you racist
>>
>>63717297
>>63716801
as someone who's done quite a lot of amature theater I can second your hatred of theater kids, and I really get where you're coming from here. I felt much the same way about the movie adaptation of le mis.
>>
>>63717223
OK I'm sorry :(
>>
>>63720387
>it's the obama of musical
neoliberal AF but diverse 2
>>
have you guys gone on genius.com and read the annotations? like holy shit there are SO MANY inside jokes to history, broadway, and hiphop. it's literally like a line-by-line basis in some songs.
>>
nerds digging up Hip-hop's corpse and perform disgusting necrofilic acts with it... very bad
>>
>>63716519
So so good
>>
i hate historical inaccuracy and pandering and musical theater so nah not interested
>>
I'd normally like this but it's a big problem when the only people that like it are white girls
>>
File: uw5urkf.gif (825 KB, 320x209) Image search: [Google]
uw5urkf.gif
825 KB, 320x209
>>63722676
>I'd normally like this but it's a big problem when the only people that like it are white girls
P R O B L E M A T I C
>>
I'm Alexander Hamilton and I'm here to say, blacks are real cool in an old school way
>>
It was good.

>It was racist anon

If you've looked into the history, the reason there are different races playing the characters was to make the point that we all were affected by this story. Its "the story of america's past told by the american present".

>but the white guys were all bad and the PoC were all good
Obviously didn't watch it.

>Its historically inaccurate
Its a musical. There has never been a historically accurate thing ever because history is too big to be recorded. Historians will tell you this. You can't judge things on one source.

So expecting a broadway musical to be historically accurate is absurd.
>>
>>63717182
that's not at all what this musical represents, that's what musicals represent. you just sound like a fucking faggot that can't let like what they want.
>>
>>63723042
>"the story of america's past told by the american present".
basically an attempt to repackage and whitewash (POCwash?) the hateful liberal ideology of the American Empire so it can be sold to a new generation of drones. An attempt to tell you who you are and what you have to do (obey, work hard, consume etc.). A total aesthetic nightmare. Blatant self-important pandering pseudorelevant to hot issues. bad bad bad
>>
>>63723160
Maybe its because I don't hate the American empire and don't think that the morals of the show were in any way objectionable.

It obviously glossed over things, but it didn't feel overly preachy to me or really aimed at indoctrination.
>>
>>63723160
well said
>>
File: fedora12.jpg (1 MB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
fedora12.jpg
1 MB, 1700x2200
>>63723160
>>
File: 1452110407625.jpg (71 KB, 782x684) Image search: [Google]
1452110407625.jpg
71 KB, 782x684
If the cast was white, and if the music wasn't hip-hop, it wouldn't be as popular.

It is pandering to a group of people who get off on virtue signaling.
>>
>>63717137
>It's basically a multicultural PC repackaging of the old toxic american dream ideology

This is what I hate the most. Also, I know a lot about Alexander Hamilton so this shit just inherently gets on my nerves.
>>
I have a good number of theater friends and they won't shut the fuck up about it so I'm over it. There's some good moments on it though

>>63723517
>if it was completely different, then people wouldn't like it as much
great observation
>>
>>63724190
>I know a lot about Alexander Hamilton so this shit just inherently gets on my nerves
Why? Its not meant to be accurate, do you look at an impressionist painting and think "the photograph would look different"
>>
>>63723517
don't bother m8
/mu/ is filled with indoctrinated college students who migrated here from reddit/tumblr/facebook meme pages. its just the nature of the board.
>>
File: hegel.jpg (99 KB, 501x720) Image search: [Google]
hegel.jpg
99 KB, 501x720
>>63723517
>college liberals
>knowing shitall about marxism
errtime
>>
I used to have zero interest in musicals, but when my dad took me to see Pippin when I was 16 or 17, that fuckin spoke to me.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.