[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /mu/ think of john mayer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 51f8501c665bd927ec000005.jpg (89 KB, 870x580) Image search: [Google]
51f8501c665bd927ec000005.jpg
89 KB, 870x580
what does /mu/ think of john mayer?
>>
>>63705927
he was shit, then had a really brief period of being good, then went right back to being shit
>>
>>63705927
He makes teenage girls to know about what solo guitar means.
>>
Momcore
>>
>>63705927

Showman, talented, but needs more soul
>>
mak still owes me $3
>>
the man whos gonna save rock n roll
>>
>>63705927
He writes music that is completely derivative and unoriginal. He's a great musician, but I don't consider him much of an artist.
>>
>>63706008
real talk: Is it possible to be original in the blues genre?
>>
>>63706065
Yes. He just rips off other people's licks to the extreme.

The best way to write original music is to not listen to any music. Sad but true
>>
>>63706175
which is literally what every other artist does to an extent.
>>
>>63706175
Oh shut up
>>
He's just a pop friendly watered down blues guitarist
>>
>>63706215
Yes. That's why there's a qualifier in that sentence. 'to the extreme'

>>63706222
U hurt my fee fees :((
>>
i don't know why people say he's a good guitarist, he's not. he just uses a bunch of tired rehashed blues licks
>>
He's good.

The live version of Gravity is one of my favorite songs OAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLs8_YaCOs
>>
>>63706381
You can be a good guitarist without being an original writer. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
>>
Pure shit and so far up his own asshole he smells his own farts before they come out
>>
Better guitar player than anyone ITT
>>
he's an adept blues guitarist and is clearly very studious in that realm. from what i've seen of his playing though he likes to stunt way too much. he displays his chops like SRV but he reaches and grabs on these nifty outside licks that don't really serve the form he's in. he has a lot of knowledge, a lot of technique, little imagination, and plenty of ego.
>>
>>63707892
okay so i just watched this and my comment on outside playing doesn't really apply, but it's like his idea of space is fucked. the vocal/guitar call/response is way too busy on the guitar end. and he's fond of gimmicks like the percussive staccato thing, and his most interesting playing is in these tiny moments, not the ckimactic moments, which go into a minor pentatonic barrage... his vocal adlibs are lame too.
>>
>>63705927
I've grown to like a few of his songs since playing in bands myself like, Queen of California, Gravity, Slow Dancing, Who Did You Think I Was...
But desu his studio work isn't that appealing overall. I've got mad respect for his playing since watching a whole bunch of his live stuff on the good tube though. Say what you like about him ripping off others licks... that man has ridiculous feel and flow and is up there with the best guitarists alive imho. Loved what he did with Frank Ocean too.
>>
This is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NXn2l-49u4
>>
He's over rated. Not really that impressive of a guitarist.
>>
I've seen videos of live performances and, goddamn - he can play. It's unfortunate that the albums he makes don't do enough to showcase that skill.

And even those same albums aren't unlistenable or anything. Just bland.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.