[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did your tastes change since you were a kid/teenager /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: maynard.jpg (28 KB, 657x370) Image search: [Google]
maynard.jpg
28 KB, 657x370
How did your tastes change since you were a kid/teenager /mu/?

I used to be heavily biased against indie, rap, post-rock, shoegaze, pop, and related genres that didn't rely on complex instrumentation. I grew up learning music classically, and then learning how to play jazz/metal once I got a guitar.

But then I got older and learned what the feels were, and now I can actually appreciate stuff that might not be that complex, but brings out emotions nonetheless. Also with rap finding conscious hip-hop and rap using jazz beats turned me onto it.
>>
wasn't really into music until I was 15 or 16; at that point I started listening to Green Day, Paramore, Linkin Park

then I sorta lost interest in music, it wasn't until I was 19 (2 years ago) that I started getting back into music, starting with stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Stevie's solo career, Beatles, Gerry Rafferty and Bob Seger

over time, I got more into top 40 pop, that makes up most of my listening these days desu but I sometimes listen to folk and prog
>>
In middle school I was into mainstream Rap
High school Metal, mainstream rock
Nowadays I listen to a little bit of everything except Rap and Country
>>
File: 1458501160144.jpg (60 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1458501160144.jpg
60 KB, 720x480
I started browsing /mu/ when I was 14.

I'm almost 20 now and my tastes in music has stayed reasonably the same since then.

I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
>>
>>63700121
It means you have the mental capacity of a 14 year old.
>>
I discovered /mu/ when I was 13 actually. Before /mu/ I was into britpop and Oasis were my fav band along with shitty nu metal, 2pac/Biggie/Snoop/Eminem, and some alright stuff I found online or through vidya like Pixies/Soundgarden/Violent Femmes/Depeche Mode/etc.

I listened to shoegaze and 80s-90s indie mostly when I first started coming here. I gradually started getting into post-punk, twee, jangle pop, lo-fi stuff all kinda related to indie/shoegaze initially. I learned to appreciate hip hop more from this place, I used to be one of those "all rap that isn't 90s is ignorant shit!!!!" kids. I started branching out after a while on /mu/ into things I normally wouldn't enjoy, mainly anything falling under the electronic/experimental umbrella and I actually really enjoyed a lot of it (krautrock stuff was my fav). When I was 15-16, I went through a
Wavves/Fidlar/burgercore phase mainly due to a girl I was trying to bang but still listened to the stuff I found through /mu/.

Some point down the line I got sick of listening to the same old albums over and over and there's a lot of records I still hold a special place in my heart for but don't really have the desire to listen to them again. I mainly come here for the sharethreads (and memes) these days.

I'm 19 now and I mostly listen to jazz, classical, or old j-pop records with some of the old favorites mixed in here and there. My favorite band at the moment is Yellow Magic Orchestra. I refused to listen to Jap music in the beginning because I thought I'd be called a weeb (I was literally 13-14 cut me slack) but now I find a lot of my favorite albums come from there.
>>
>>63700159
You became LESS patrician over time. Good job.

>>63700121
Just download new stuff from sharethreads, rym, soulseek, etc. and branch out into new genres.
>>
is this the youngest board?
>>
>>63700232
Besides /b/. A lot of teenagers watch anime so you could make the case for /a/. Then you've got /v/
>>
>>63700192
I don't have much time to discover new music anymore now that I'm in college, so the music I do play is often just soothing/relaxing stuff so I can focus on assignments or sleep (or get high to).

I already burned through the essential charts at like 15 and most of the Scarufficore/patriciancore bands.
>>
>>63700192
Oh no, anon. I listen to plenty of music.

I listen to the same genres I did before, but I've expanded my pool of artists in each genre exponentially if you get what I'm trying to say.

>>63700232
That would be /v/ or /b/

>>63700257
I heard /a/ was one of the oldest boards, along with /tg/ and /jp/
>>
>>63700121
>>63700159
i cant imagine going on a place like this regularly when you're that young

you'll hear all this great new music at such a young age you'll get to the point where you run out of music to discover
>>
>>63700284
That's when you move on to a different hobby.
>>
>>63700284
You should never run out of music. What you're doing is running out of the desire to listen to new music. In reality there's enough music in the world that you can never listen to everything.
>>
grew up learning classical piano.

early teens
>billboard stuff
>gaga
>kanye singles
>taytay
>poprock
>kpop
>some classical music

now
>same shit but more other stuff
>added more pop-rap (j cole, chance, a$ap, kendrick, drake)
>'indie' pop and electro pop. essentially triple j shit minus the rock and rap.
>still listen to kpop and classical

yes i know my taste is shit and normie
>>
>>63700389
You can play classical piano. But can you improvise and make your own music? That's what really matters.
>>
>elementary school
The Cure
Fall out Boy
The Click 5
A Teens
Arron Carter
Avril

>Middle School
Avril
Fall out Boy
Muse
Linkin Park
3 days grade
Gorillaz
Taking Back sunday
Anberlin

>High School
>Anberlin
>Fall Out boy
>Bon Iver
>Interpol
>Postal Service
>Paramore
>El Ten Eleven
>Kanye

College
>Mac Demarco
>Breakbot
>Fleet Foxes
>Lord Huron
> El Ten Eleven
> My Dad Vs. Yours
>Tycho
>Kendrick
>Tyler
>>
>>63700284
I get what you're saying but there's so much music out there I don't think you quite understand it, and there's shit being released every single day. You might run out of the exceptional "classics" to listen to and maybe feel like a lot of the music you listen to pales in comparison but there really is no shortage of music out there and you'll more than likely find some hidden gems you like.

>>63700290
Pretty much this, at least for me.
I still love music but its nowhere near like it was 4-5 years ago where I'd spend all day on /mu/ and rym trying to find the most obscure shit or have a 500GB hard drive full of albums from different parts of the world or trying to make an album in fl emulating my heroes and having it sound like crap etc.
>>
From about 8th grade to sophomore year of high school, I listened to a lot of edgy hot topic shit. As I got older, I did start to branch out a bit, though. Like I started listening to better metalcore bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and Cave In. But then I discovered post-rock through Sigur Ros. I then graduated from boring third wave post-rock into more first and second wave stuff. After that, I discovered The Microphones. I loved The Glow Part 2 (and still do), and it made me search for more experimental stuff. I started to listen to babby's first experimental and then I discovered /mu/. From there, I've mostly just expanded on my taste. I still listen to stuff that I listened to a few years ago, just not that much anymore
>>
>>63700389
>early teens
>taytay gaga kpop kanye

this board is 18+ bruh
>>
>>63700816
yeh. like i said.
i'm borderline normie

>>63700417
nah mate i can't. i just did my grades and got an associate diploma in music for show (parents and stuff). then i just played casually. not passionate about developing musically, just do it for fun and for show.
>>
too much to write, but what i do find interesting is my extreme dislike of rap/hip hop music. but then again i'm not a socially / politically conscious person (nor do i listen to music that is active in those fields, at least not directly) and rap / hip hop has always been about those things so the raps / verse themselves don't grab my attention...sometimes the actual track is interesting but then i find out 90% of the track is all samples / interpolation. i respect the serious lyrical poetic prose of this genre but not the music itself.
>>
holy shit everyone in this thread wrote an autobiography
>>
>>63700284
>you'll hear all this great new music at such a young age you'll get to the point where you run out of music to discover
>nmh, kanye, /mu/ essentials, the list goes on..
>ewww mozart

this is what /mu/fags actually believe
>>
One day when you get older your entire mind will be open to things you never thought of before and you like things you never thought of even trying. That's all I have to say for people that think they know it all. Keep and open mind.
>>
Didn't really listen to much music as a kid. When I was 12-13 I listened to a lot of pop radio in an attempt to fit in at school, and shortly after got into classic rock, metal, punk, all of which ultimately led to an interest in and appreciation for blues and classical music (was also around when I started playing guitar). The whole "metalcore/deathcore" thing was really in full swing when I was a teenager so I got really into those shitty bands and put together a death metal outfit with some friends. The rhythm guitarist in the band introduced me to some interesting prog metal bands, and I discovered Dillinger Escape Plan and BTBAM, which in turn got me interested in jazz (although I liked the idea of jazz as a compositional concept rather than actual jazz music itself). Right when I started college I picked up a copy of The Mars Volta's "Frances the Mute" because one of the guys in another band my old band used to do shows with recommended them. That album changed my world because for the past three years all I had been listening to were heavier-than-thou drop C guys and TMV destroyed all of them. So I developed a serious interest in prog rock which I maintain to this day (something my dad and I connect over; he has really good taste in 70s prog acts and a lot of my favorite albums now are albums he used to play in the car when I was like 5 years old). Also when I started university, I was invited to sit in on several improv jams with some freshman jazz studies students and they absolutely kicked my neoclassical-shreddin' ass, so I began to study jazz guitar on my own and developed an appreciation for jazz as a whole.

So now my musical tastes consist of indie rock, jazz, and prog/experimental rock. I've also been getting into some hip hop; I really like BADBADNOTGOOD and their collaborative work with hip hop artists, as well as The Roots and some Kanye stuff.

Sorry for the life story.
>>
I used to be happy
>>
>>63702562
It's been so long I'm not even sure I ever was because I can't remember what it's like
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.