[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fact: No rock group of today has surpassed The Mars Volta since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
File: mars-volta-500x250.jpg (39 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
mars-volta-500x250.jpg
39 KB, 500x250
Fact: No rock group of today has surpassed The Mars Volta since their formation.
>>
>>63696516
easily the best band in the "mariachi slipknot"genre
>>
>>63696516
>radiohead for beaners
>>
>>63696543
>>
taco theater
>>
Holy shit lol
>>
File: Liturgy1c.jpg (29 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Liturgy1c.jpg
29 KB, 620x372
>>63696516
heyy lmao
>>
>>63696516
And people still wonder why kids these days don't listen to rock music anymore.
>>
cedric should really get a haircut
>>
File: DeadSara.jpg (125 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
DeadSara.jpg
125 KB, 720x450
>>63696516
That's adorable.
>>
>>63696842
youre right, that girl is adorable.
>>
>>63696516
Mexi Bungle
>>
>>63696747
Because dave grohl forces the same 4 chords down everyone's throats?

Besides, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats are the best rock band out now.
>>
>>63696516
Frances the Mute and Deloused were their only fantastic albums. The rest were bad to average.
>>
>>63696890
>Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats are the best rock band out now.
good taste, anon
>>
>>63696899
Amputechture and Goliath werent as good as Frances and Deloused, but theyre still damn good.
>>
>>63696516
>>63696543
>>63696576
>>63696595
>>63696634
>>63696721
>>63696726

I don't even know what to say anymore. You guys make of fun of these guys yet probably never even really listened to TMV and get a full grasp of their music.

I'm on a listening binge of TMV right now. Since a couple of months I listened to most of their songs and return again and again, amazed everytime.

Technically, they really did their best to expand rock music. Their first 3 albums has so many amazing guitar parts.

That riff at 1:42 in The Day of The Baphomets is mind-blowing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C0F7eFxhXM

Rythmically, he really tries to go further and further into difficult rythmic patterns, and it's not improvised because it's both played by Sax and Guitar at the same time. Reminds of what Mr. Bungle was doing in some songs in Disco Volante (Carry Stress in the Jaw or Phlegmatics).

Some parts in the middle of Tetragrammaton is on the verge of Tonality and they're not trying to be full distortion. So you can clearly hear the guitar melodies and voices.

TMV is really underrated. Saying they sound too "far out" is exactly the reason why they are ahead of so many rock bands. Their first 3 albums are amazing, and the rest is quite good.
>>
VIGOROUS TAURINE ECTOWIVES
PLUMS WITHOUT A PEACH
>>
File: noctourniquet .jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
noctourniquet .jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>63696899
this album always get sleeped on smhtbh
>>
>>63696516
Radiohead were around before them and surpassed them before they even made their first fart in the music industry.
>>
mariachi slipknot
>>
>>63697038
im saying that, since The Mars Volta formed, there hasnt been a better rock band. ya dumb turkey. also Radiohead sucks
>>
>>63697063
Either you're attempting a "troll" or you're very severely obsessed with this band and can't see how average they are.
>also radiohead sucks
cool argument
>>
>>63697089
either youre attempting a "troll" or you're severely obsessed with this band and can't see how average they are.
>surpassed them before they even made their first fart in the music industry
cool argument
>>
>>63696902
Thanks man, I really need to pick up a copy of Night Creeper.
>>
>>63697063
>>63697089
they both suck. i win
>>
>>63697111
have you not heard it yet? its fantastic. Blood Lust is still their masterpiece imo, but The Night Creeper surpasses Mind Control.
>>
omar is a musical genius. without question he approaches any of the great composers of the past.

somehow cedric must bring out the best in him though because everything omar does outside of tmv sounds like a complete mess with a few exceptions.

i have no idea why they broke up and will always hope for them to revive the project.
>>
>>63697113
>>63697107
commit suicide
>>
>>63697143
u first :)
>>
File: Cedick.png (249 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
Cedick.png
249 KB, 329x329
>>63697063
I'd say Radiohead's good. They're more consistent than The Mars Volta, but as high as Radiohead's highs are, they can't top TMV's highest, and TMV has a LOT of high points.
>>
>>63697128
No, jesus fucking christ. I must have listened to it at least a hundred or more times on Spotify in full already. I fucking love it.
>>
>>63696861
Not only is she cute, but she's an incredible guitarist. Check out the finger picking, slide, and drop-d riffage all in this one song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4F6TFZiqk
>>
>>63697063
>>63696726
>>
>>63696939
Are you 14?
>>
At the Drive-In is the better band :)
>>
I think there's a much better case to be made for OP's position than people in this thread are willing to admit.
This band is incredible.
>>
File: morphincredc.jpg (10 KB, 300x333) Image search: [Google]
morphincredc.jpg
10 KB, 300x333
>>63697316
lol
>>
>>63697318
If you think soulless wankery is incredible, sure.
>>
>>63697316
yeah then why did Jim Ward just quit ATDI if its so great?
>>
>>63697342
>soulless wankery
meme words that indie fags cling to when they cant think of anything real to critique
>>
>>63697354
he's a pussy
>>
>>63697361
>indie fags
meme words

If you can't think of anything real to critique, why bother posting?
>>
>>63697342
>soulless
https://youtu.be/xqWqedEaD0I?t=6m33s
Listen to this. 6:33 and the lyrics it blends into
>>
>>63697415
What do the lyrics mean? They seem lolrandom word salad rather than communicating anything specific (see: dishonest)
>>
>>63697393
Because you're retarded and there's no justification in analyzing you any further.
>>
>>63697437
>He disagrees with my opinion I couldn't explain?
>he must be reta5rded!
Are all Radiohead4beaners fans like you?
>>
>>63697361
Hello pitchfork. And I'll admit they're flawed. Frances the mute has outros that go on for pointlessly too long. It's still a great record.

>>63697431
There's a story going on underneath Frances the Mute, it's scrambled, drug addled and has its head lopped off, but it's there.
"To drown the living proof
I can't remember these lakes of blood
Wrapped in a blanket"
>>
>>63697431
It's a concept album, this track is talking about the character Vismund Cygnus and his story.
>>
>>63697455
>implying you could explain your opinion even a little
also, its a fact that youre retarded, wasnt really up to me friend. sorry to be the one to break it to you.
>>
>>63697472
To be fair...
It's also one of the hardest concept albums to decipher since Not Available.
>>
File: alfredo.jpg (55 KB, 600x578) Image search: [Google]
alfredo.jpg
55 KB, 600x578
>Replies: 51 Posters: 21
>>
>>63697503
True, Cedric is a strange writer. But that doesnt mean what he writes is pointless word salad.
>>
>>63697455
>>63697470
>>63697472
just stop.

do you really care about convincing this person (assuming they're genuine (big assumption))?

just be happy you know the mars volta is great and you have been lucky enough to appreciate them.

they didn't break up because their fans abandoned them or something. it doesn't matter how many people like them en masse because they will always be valued by anyone who cares about music.
>>
>>63697455
Dangerously close to judging a band by their fans, mate. Careful with that.
>>
>>63697470
>"To drown the living proof
>I can't remember these lakes of blood
>Wrapped in a blanket"
What does that mean though?
PRO-TIP: If it means nothing, it's just soulless word salad.
>>63697472
What's the concept, who the character and what happened?
>>63697496
Except you haven't explained your opinion either. You must be just as retarded as me.
>>63697528
If it wasn't, you'd be able to explain it thoroughly.
>>
>>63697528
It skirts the line, but there is enough there to grab and eventually make sense of.

" A lot of it was [written] on the spot. Omar — because he collects TVs — would set up his wall of TVs again. We used to live together and he would set them up all the time — kind of like in the David Bowie movie, The Man Who Fell to Earth, he had a stack of TVs like that. So he would do that while I would record vocals, and that would be the main inspiration. So it was everything from The Magnificent Seven and any Akira Kurosawa stuff. And I wouldn’t have [lyrics] written right away; I would just do takes of gibberish and then later try to fix them to make them into words. Sometimes he wanted to just keep the gibberish takes which he liked a lot better because it was the first reaction to the music. It’s just really [about] being in a state of being willing to give up to the producer your scratch tracks, as opposed to really working on it and refining it." Cedric Bixler-Zavala

It's pretty obvious though that it's not just gibberish. There's stuff in there.

>>63697569
I don't care, it's fun to discuss this stuff, even with someone who doesn't try to

>>63697574
To be fair, hardcore TMV fans are basically more well groomed tool fans.
>>
>>63696939
Jesus fucking Christ, is this what happens when you listen to prog too much?
>>
>>63697583
It's a memory of him going through some kind of traumatic event as a child that he can't fully remember.

Fuck it, I'll spoil the entire story for you via the worst youtuber presently around: https://youtu.be/u4TbzTBUkN8?t=3m50s

You don't deserve any better.
>>
>>63697583
>What's the concept, who the character and what happened?
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310543
>Except you haven't explained your opinion either. You must be just as retarded as me.
I dont care
>If it wasn't, you'd be able to explain it thoroughly.
Now this is undeniable proof of you being retarded. All abstract writing is meaningless and soulless simply because its hard to decipher? Youre a fraud.
>>
>>63697574
So far there's about five different people freaking out because they can't prove me it's not soulless ("no a swear the words have meaning!") wank ("no I swear a 30 minute guitar solo has a point other than to be a 30 minute guitar solo!").
>>63697594
So no one knows what it means, and you just blindly assume it's not gibberish?

Wow.
>>63697621
>It's a memory of him going through some kind of traumatic event as a child that he can't fully remember.
What does that have to do with a diary found in a car?
>>
>>63697641
>Youre a fraud.
Sorry I don't have a sputnikmusic forum to tell me what to think!

>but dude those wicked guitar solos dude
>>
>>63697641
>http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310543

That's not even remotely fucking close to the story of the album.

>>63697645
>What does that have to do with a diary found in a car?

The character of Cyngus is also looking for his mother, similar to the man in the diary. The difference being his mother was killed by an angry mob. All of the song titles come from names found in the diary.
It's not a simple concept to wrap your head around.
>>
>>63697683
>All of the song titles come from names found in the diary.
So it's dishonest
>It's not a simple concept to wrap your head around.
Perhaps this is a case of Pareidolia?
>>
>>63697683
>That's not even remotely fucking close to the story of the album
>It's not a simple concept to wrap your head around.
how do you know what the hell the story is about then? theres a definite concept to it, but its clearly very much up to interpretation in many aspects.
>>
>>63697583
Not them, but are you really just that lazy?

Do you really just want someone spoon feeding you their interpretation? How about you actually open a lyrics sheet, listen to the album, and make your own educated interpretation based on the context of the album and what you know?

>>63697645
>What does that have to do with a diary found in a car?
A former bandmate found a diary in the back of a car that paralleled this bandmate's own search to find their biological parents. The various characters in FTM are based on the character's names in said diary.

Have you not actually listened to the album? Did you just scrub through it once and decide with your almighty musical analysis skills that it meant nothing because you didn't fully understand it on the first go?
>>
>>63697714
>So it's dishonest
What the hell do you even mean at this point?
>>
>>63697744
>Have you not actually listened to the album? Did you just scrub through it once and decide with your almighty musical analysis skills that it meant nothing because you didn't fully understand it on the first go?

Not him, but he pretty obviously hasn't. I'm not gonna call anyone stupid for not being able to understand TMV's lyrics given the seven layers of difficulty it takes to figure them out, but some people just need to realize maybe something isn't for them.
>>
>>63697725
Sounds like they are poor communicators.
>>63697744
>Not them, but are you really just that lazy?
What do you mean?
>Do you really just want someone spoon feeding you their interpretation?
Not what I'm asking for. Didn't you read?
>How about you actually open a lyrics sheet,
The burden of proof is on your guys, since you made the initial assertion that they were "incredible"
>The various characters in FTM are based on the character's names in said diary.
What happens to the characters specificly? Or can you not figure it out (poor communicators)
>>63697754
You (?) said it was autobiographical. Now you are saying it's about the dairy. Which is it? it's either honest (autobiographical) or not (word salad about a diary that probably never existed in the first place). Which is it?
>>63697785
>'m not gonna call anyone stupid for not being able to understand TMV's lyrics
>Even though i can't possibly explain them myself
Yikes
>>
>>63697645
I can't believe how butthurt everyone in this thread is getting. Not easy to discuss music like this.
I'll give you this: Amputechture and Goliath are way too self-indulgent at points. But if you think Frances the Mute and Deloused are nothing but soulless wank, I'd tell you to listen a little harder.
>>
>>63697882
>I'd tell you to listen a little harder.
I shouldn't have to. Again, the burden of proof is on you.
>>
File: 123012384.png (30 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
123012384.png
30 KB, 128x128
wew whats going on here lads
>>
>>63697874
>You (?) said it was autobiographical. Now you are saying it's about the dairy. Which is it? it's either honest (autobiographical) or not (word salad about a diary that probably never existed in the first place). Which is it?
The diary, written by someone else, had many similarities to his life. so its both. are you really this dense or are you just pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>63697928
>tweedle tweeedle tweeeedly deee
>ba da ba da ba da in 6/7 time
>THE UNCOUNTABLE PENINSULA IS SEVERING THE HEADS OF THE MAGISTRATE
Zzzzzzzz
>>63697957
What similarities specifically?
>>
>>63697909
>I shouldn't have to
>I can pay as little attention as I want and my opinion is just as valid as your xD
>>
>>63697909
You're not saying that you shouldn't have to listen to music carefully, are you? Because that would be incredibly dumb.
>>
>>63697989
>>I can pay as little attention as I want and my opinion is just as valid as your xD
Sounds like you are talking about TMVfags since they can't even describe nor agree what the album is about.
>>63698004
Do you not know how an argument works?
>>
>>63696576
lol
>>
>>63697987
>What similarities specifically?
>Jeremy Ward, audio artist for The Mars Volta until his death, had previously worked as a repo man. One day, Ward discovered a diary in the backseat of a car he was repossessing, and began to note the similarities between his life and that of the author—most notably, that they had both been adopted. The diary told of the author's search for his biological parents, with the way being pointed by a collection of people, their names being the basis for each named track of Frances the Mute.
It's not his responsibility to spill his life story just to point out to an audience how similar it was to a diary he found, but that is what was said about it.
>>
>>63698055
>It's not his responsibility to spill his life story just to point out to an audience how similar it was to a diary he found, but that is what was said about it.
So... it's dishonest.
>>
>>63698023
I was legitimately asking you to clarify what you said, because I thought what you said was stupid but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Would you care to explain what "I shouldn't have to" means?
>>
>PERSPIRED THE TROPHY SHELVES MADE ROOM FOR HIS COLLAPSE
>SHE WAS A MINK HANDJOB IN A SARCOPHAGUS
Wow so deep
>>63698142
>Would you care to explain what "I shouldn't have to" means?
Because "Dude just listen to it!" isn't a valid counterargument.
>>
>>63698083
>So... it's dishonest.
so, no. the lyrics were, as stated, written about a diary that drew parallels to one of the band members' life. obviously the entire diary isnt an exact replica of this mans life story, and im sure Cedric added his own elements that werent in the diary or the mans life story, but how does that make it dishonest? elements of the story are more than likely fiction, but that doesnt keep it from being genuine. are all emotionally charged movies dishonest because they dont reflect anyones actual life events? do you immediately detach yourself emotionally from a movie you liked after looking up if the story was true? youre arguing something very dumb right now, youre essentially arguing that anything even partially fiction cant be emotionally genuine, which is the stupidest thing ive ever heard.
>>
>>63697874
I think you're mistaken.

Are you aware of how many ways there are to convey, lyrically, any particular concept?

>The burden of proof is on you guys
Nope, not really.

Your initial post seemed to be this one: >>63697342

The post you were responding to only made a general statement. You followed that up by calling it "soulless wankery". Very much a specific criticism, wouldn't you say? But here you are, not wanting to back up this claim. Are you maybe afraid that you can't explain well enough what about them is "soulless wankery", in their music or lyrics?

What confuses me is that here you are, asking everyone else to transcribe the album for you. Not only would that be open to interpretation, but dude, you're on 4chan. I highly doubt anyone is gonna seriously go out of their way to provide a fully transcribed interpretation to the entire album's lyrics.

I'm not so sure why you're so fixated about this either. You really aren't looking to have your opinion swayed one way or the other. You feel a certain way about the band and this album. That's honestly great, dude. I think it's great that we can have differing opinions like that. I just don't think that having someone explain how Cedric's lyrics are strange sometimes is somehow going to sway you in the other direction.
>>
>>63696726
/thread
Memer Meme Memedrix > Omar Beaner-Shitdreguez
>>
>>63698186
Then why does the lyrics clearly state
>THIS NEVER HAPPENED
>>63698191
>Are you aware of how many ways there are to convey, lyrically, any particular concept?
Explain it.
>The post you were responding to only made a general statement
Not relevant.
>You followed that up by calling it "soulless wankery"
Correct, it is. No one could prove otherwise
>Very much a specific criticism, wouldn't you say?
Not really.

Last chance to prove your case.
>>
>>63698276
>Then why does the lyrics clearly state
>>THIS NEVER HAPPENED
you just completely disregarded my post and said something dumb.
>Not really.
yes really.
>Last chance to prove your case.
or what, you'll go away? oh god no, not that
>>
>>63698167
Not him and don't care about your response but you are an insufferable faggot.
>>
holy shit you two still going at it? get a room lmao >86 replies 25 posters
>>
>>63698167
Ok, but it's virtually impossible to make a coherent argument for the artistic merit of anything, even an undisputed classic.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong with logic. I'm trying to open a dialogue with you.
If you don't like a certain piece of art, but a person you respect claims there's a lot of merit in that art, you have good reason to look (or listen) a little harder.
I'm trying to be a respectful, respectable conversation partner, so that you might have reason in the future to listen TMV's first two albums with fresh ears.

If you're open-minded, you have to acknowledge that there's a chance your opinion on TMV might change upon further listens.

Conversely, if you're not open-minded and are totally unwilling to have your mind changed, isn't that kind of your loss? (Plus, what would be the point of having this argument with me?)

Think about it, and have a good night, OK dude?
>>
>>63698276
>Explain it.
You didn't answer the question. Yes or no.

>Correct, it is. No one could prove otherwise
Thus the problem with a criticism such as "soulless". There's really no way to counter or make a case for or against it. How does one measure "soul"? If you feel that it is "soulless", then that's simply the way you feel and it's unlikely that one silly argument on an image board is going to change that. Many people will feel different, and that's ok, dude.

The closest I can imagine to being able to measure an artistic piece's "soul" is if it somehow resonates with you emotionally to some capacity, and in your case that clearly hasn't happened. With me and many other TMV fans, it has, and that's just the way it is.

I'm not looking to change your mind about something that you've already made up your mind on. You go your way and I go mine, is that alright?

If you're honest to God dying for an explanation of some sort, then let's leave it at "I find Frances the Mute incredibly energetic and vibrant instrumentally and lyrically it hits close to home at times even." If you're really that interested, I suggest you search up some lyrical interpretations online or guides. Or if you're dead set on being absolutely right about all this, then don't. It's your call, man.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.