[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
REM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 160x160
Hey /mu/!

Is REM good?
>>
>>63671022
if rem is bad then i dont wanna be good
>>
Everything up until Berry left was great
>>
About as good as U2
>>
Yes if you stick to IRS stuff

Micheal Stipe can go suck a fuck though
>>
>>63671103
And everything after he left was still pretty good.

>>63671133
Get out.

>>63671022
Mu used to have comfy rem generals for a while. Maybe we can start them back up again
>>
>>63671022
A strong contender for the best, actually. To me, it's the most easily defensible pick for rock music after The Beatles.

>>63671103
Also, this. If they'd disbanded or rebranded after Berry left, I actually think it would be considered common knowledge that R.E.M. were one of the greatest rock artists ever. I'm not saying anything they did afterwards was bad, necessarily, but I think everything they did before was clearly better. The legacy for records like Monster (criminally underrated), OoT, and Green would've only improved if the band had just left it be instead of actively being mediocre for another decade after the fact.
>>
>is dadcore good
>>
>>63671022
Murmur is a 10/10 and every song on it is perfect and better than any jangle pop the Smiths made
>>
>>63673715
Murmur is the best, Document is pgud too
>>
R.E.M. is one of the greatest bands as far as I'm concerned. They had a practically unrivaled streak of all time classic albums in a row. Everything all the way up to Monster is stellar, and even after that in the post Bill Berry years they only put out one straight up lousy album, which even they never defended and tried to forget.

>>63672557
We're having one right now.

>>63673687
>>63673687
>A strong contender for the best, actually. To me, it's the most easily defensible pick for rock music after The Beatles.
definitely this
>>
>>63673845
Reckoning is great too
>>
REM is great

harborcoat is one of my favorite album openings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sehg7gEbgyU
>>
>>63672557
>le U2 is bad maymay

God I hate normies
>>
>>63673936
while they do have some great stuff they deserve their meme status

rem is absolutely better
>>
>>63673932
They opened with that when I saw them too. Definitely one of the best openings of any album. Document has a great opening too.
>>
File: 71EC1o9WspL._SL1053_.jpg (169 KB, 1053x1046) Image search: [Google]
71EC1o9WspL._SL1053_.jpg
169 KB, 1053x1046
>>63673715
Are you sure Montie? Have you listened to this fantastic record?
>>
>>63674078
Murmur is still better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvgUD9nnXQk
>>
Let's see those R.E.M. rankings. Not including Chronic Town/DLO/Eponymous etc.

1. Automatic For The People
2. Murmur
3. Reckoning
4. Green
5. Out Of Time
6. Lifes Rich Pageant
7. Fables Of The Reconstruction
8. New Adventures In Hi-Fi
9. Document
10. Up
11. Monster
12. Reveal
13. Accelerate
14. Around The Sun
15. Collapse Into Now

>>63674078
Definitely sure, but this isn't about them.
>>
I unironically think this is a great video
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>63674272
forgot pic
>>
>>63674272
>>63674300
Me too, but this is even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoc8_aJLpes
>>
>>63674220
>Document that low

nigga wut? It's their best after Auto and Murmur/Reckoning (those tie)
>>
>>63674390
It's gotta be somewhere. Besides that would mean bumping down Green, which I'm not willing to do.

>>63674390
>It's their best after Auto and Murmur/Reckoning (those tie)
Ehh, above Fables and Pageant though? I don't think so.
>>
>>63672526
>depriving yourself of Green, OoT, AftP, and NAiHF
>>
If you think AFTP is better than Murmur than I don't know what's wrong with your ears desu
>>
>>63674757
Yeah this
>>
>>63672526
>Micheal Stipe can go suck a fuck though
Why?
>>
>>63674993
Stipe seems kind of douchey. I don't think he means it but he's kind of a weird guy and he comes off as kind of dick
>>
>>63675140
oh alright
>>
>>63671022
they are kings. everything is perfect. maybe not around the sun, but it grew on me
>>
>>63675740
Definitely. I'm still not crazy about Around the Sun but its reputation suggests that it's completely unlistenable. At its worst it's just uninspired and boring.
>>
>>63673687
I think "mediocre" is a bit hyperbolic. Their creativity had definitely peaked, but they were still good and released some solid songs. They just weren't "special" anymore. I agree, though. Their legacy would be a lot more grandiose, not that it's hurting now. I.R.S. purist dullards are few and far between, I think.
>>
>>63673715
Kek, delusional fuck.
No one can touch the smiths
>>
>>63674757
It's a more emotionally rich collection of songs. They wouldn't be out of place in a singer-songwriter playlist. I love Murmur (and Reckoning more so) but those are ultimately hyper-accessible jangle pop. That doesn't make them worse than Automatic for the People, but it does make them very different and largely incomparable on a thematic level. This is reflected in the music, too. Automatic is a lot more demanding, and Stipe's vocals and the words are emphasized a great deal more.

In other words, fuck off desu.
>>
>>63676409
except R.E.M. of course
>>
>>63676425
This. They're also the best albums of both R.E.M. eras in that regard so liking one over the other is understandable.
>>
>>63676351
They get way too much shit for having a hazy period after what, like 9 straight classic albums? I think in a sense it had a lot to do with them no longer being college rock's darling underground "left of the dial" band by the mid 90s.
>>
>>63671022
No.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.