[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I like this more than the soft bulletin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: MI0003523481.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0003523481.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>tfw I like this more than the soft bulletin
>>
>>63665601
It's way better honestly
>>
>>63665762
no
>>
>>63665762
it's not
>>
>>63665601
>>63665762
these
>>63665789
>>63666139
not these
>>
>>63666227
agreed
>>
>>63665601
>>63665762
agreed
>>
>>63665601
me too
but I don't really like either of them that much
>>
>>63667177
well one of them is an objective 9/10
and the other is an objective 10/10 and yet you're still wrong
>>
>>63665601
I've still not listened to the soft bulletin for some reason, I guess i'm just waiting for the right occasion but i've listened to this plenty and i'm a fan of it
>>
>>63665601

You're not alone. I like most of their other albums better than SB.
>>
In a Priest Driven Ambulance and Zaireeka are the two best albums by far. Huge psychedelic mindscapes, motherfuck anyone who says otherwise.

Soft Bulletin has ground breaking production and sounds, but then again their Dark Side of the Moon cover had that too so it doesn't really mean much. The songwriting on Soft Bulletin is too flat and samey over the course of the LP and it can be a chore to listen through. Yoshimi isn't as foreward thinking in it's production but it has more variety in songs and may just be the better album.
>>
I liked At War With The Mystics.
>>
File: regret panda.jpg (75 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
regret panda.jpg
75 KB, 800x530
>I like the Soft Bulletin!
>>
>>63667303
>The songwriting on Soft Bulletin is too flat and samey over the course of the LP and it can be a chore to listen through
I know you guys don't care, but I have been here since the day /mu/ was added and I'm leaving because of this.

Neo /mu/ is this fucking bad. I really hope you get your shit together /mu/. I really do.
>>
>>63667208
I'm sorry my friend but it is not objective at all
>>
>>63667360
It absolutely is. I would not even blame you for calling me an autist here but I am so certain that The Soft Bulletin is a perfect record. It's the pop record the post- Pet Sounds world was waiting for. I'm sure of it.
>>
>>63667350
It is though, when you've heard the same synthetic orchestras and whiny vocals on Race for the Price and Waitin for Superman it can be exhausting hearing them on The Gash. Just because I criticized an aspect of a pitchfork-core release doesn't mean I don't get it.

And nigga I've been on here since Kanye's Dark Fantasy was being hyped and you still needed to nokosage.
>>
>>63667460
>here since 2010
fair enough.

This is not pitchfork-core though. It's just not. I would love to know where you'd heard the same insanely detailed MIDI/live raw instrumentation as The Soft Bulletin though. So please enlighten me.
>>
>>63667431
nobody seems to agree yet and neither will I
but believe whatever you want
I don't like it either way
lmao sorry
>>
>>63667568
I don't care how detaile the midi and guiatr is. It sounds cool at first, but over the course of an hour it feels like eating nothing but mexican food for a week. The same variations of flour, beans and meat make you want to throw up.

Scaruffi was perfectly right to rate it 6/10.
>>
File: tsb tracklisting.png (61 KB, 1074x284) Image search: [Google]
tsb tracklisting.png
61 KB, 1074x284
>>63667632
Just for clarity this is the tracklist I use. I see no flaw in this record and never will.
>>
>>63667795
What is that, iTunes?

And I've used both the vinyl and cd tracklistings. It doesn't matter if the record is flawed, it stays consistently decent and feels no need to venture into anything different over the course of it's playtime. Zaireeka on the other hand is like the Soft Bulletin but bigger, more anthemic and lovably fucking insane.
>>
>>63667342

Absolute madman.
>>
>>63667795
>I see no flaw in this record.
Aside from inserting outtakes into the tracklist
>>
>>63667303
>Zaireeka are the two best albums by far. Huge psychedelic mindscapes, motherfuck anyone who says otherwise.
>Soft Bulletin has ground breaking production and sounds
The two albums were recorded during the same sessions you dope
>>
>>63668151
And what they did with the music on Zaireeka was much more interesting. Abbey Road and Let it Be were recorded in the same sessions and that didn't make them comparable at all.
>>
I feel like the only reason so many people say the Soft Bulletin isn't their best record is because it's so obviously their best that to say it's their best wouldn't seem novel at all. But seriously though, it's plainly their highest achievement.
>>
>>63668198
>And what they did with the music on Zaireeka was much more interesting.
Again, the instrumentation, arrangement and production was the same.
>Abbey Road and Let it Be were recorded in the same sessions
False.
>>
>>63668205
Nope, I first listened to their discography comin in blind at no point did I ever consider it above average.
>>
>>63668252
Oh you listened out of context?
>>
>soft bulletin isn't their best

Le contrarian face
>>
Same.

Yoshimi is a top 5 album for me, though SB is still probably top 30.
>>
>>63668280
If you mean the context of it getting more lauded and circlejerked over than their more overlooked material than yes.
I was under the impression that Flaming Lips fans were cool people who liked noise rock and layers of psychedelic instrumentation ebbing and flowing, when in fact they all just masturbate to midi-pop.
>>
>>63668343
>I was under the impression that Flaming Lips fans were cool people who liked noise rock and layers of psychedelic instrumentation ebbing and flowing, when in fact they all just masturbate to midi-pop
There are at least four different eras of this band, and thus four different fanbases.

Again, you listened out of context and don't put it in perspective

Also
>MIDI
so?
>>
>>63668205
Yoshimi has more depth to it.
>>
>>63668299
not really. this isn't like preferring tweez to spiderland. they're two good albums, but i just don't see the opinion that the soft bulletin would be way better
>>
>>63668380
What possible context do you mean? I'm usually aware what context an album is in historically, there's nothing particularly to get.
>>
>>63668343
>cool people who liked noise rock and layers of psychedelic instrumentation

DUDE WEED LMAO aren't cool people
>>
>>63668393
How so?
>>63668403
Well that's because you don't know music theory.
>>
>>63668423
>there's nothing particularly to get
Thats because you missed it.
>>
>>63668429
is this bait? kek.

i've played instruments for 11+ years and started learning theory when i was 9
>>
File: Clouds Taste Metallic.png (581 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Clouds Taste Metallic.png
581 KB, 600x600
Clouds Taste Metallic >>>>>>>> Soft Bulletin & Yoshimi
>>
Soft Bulliten>terror>iapda>at war with mystics>the rest
>>
>>63668454
KIMMMM'S GOTT A WATERMELON GUUNNN
>>
>>63668454
now this is contrarianism
>>
>>63668475
garbage ranking
>>
>>63668453
Prove it.
>>
>>63668559
you must be retarded i put mt \y garbage rating in the hardcore thread
>>
>>63668563
send me a theory quiz idk. how the fuck do i prove it
>>
>>63668618
Chart out both The Spark That Bled and Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.
>>
>>63668427
How can you listen to the Flaming Lips and criticize people for liking Psychedelia.
>>63668452
It's mediocre pop melodies with wall of sound production, synthetic instrumentation, and childish lyrics, and little to no variation over the course of it's run time, a decade of listening out of obligation, and there is little to get. The entire time I wish I was listening to early Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev (who did the format slightly better on Deserter's Songs.)
>>
>>63668638
like a chord chart?
>>
>>63668654
>(who did the format slightly better on Deserter's Songs.)
kek
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.