[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Improvisation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: bebop-music-history-1.jpg (72 KB, 500x426) Image search: [Google]
bebop-music-history-1.jpg
72 KB, 500x426
How did we go from Bebop to free jazz and then to free improvisation?
>>
forced by the zeitgeist of 20th century art
>>
bird -> monk -> ornette etc
>>
>>63663065
you really ran out of steam there 'gene'
>>
>>63663149
"the list goes on"
>>
>>63662926
It's the same natural inclination of artists to push the boundaries of their art that you will find in almost every other art form
>>
>>63663294
precisely...fuckin typical trip-fag.
>>
>>63663346
But how did it happen? What were the key albums in each change?
>>
>>63663439
It happened gradually over time. Bebop grew gradually distinct from swing as young players who frequented Minton's jam sessions wanted to play harder changes at faster tempos to weed out the wannabes. Bebop musicians like Lennie Tristano decided to push things a bit further and try improvising songs with no changes, but set tempos and time signatures. Eventually people began moving away from that and playing music that had no time signature or set structure at all.
>>
>>63663439

That's really hard to pinpoint. The jazz scene was scattered and segmented into regions.
>>
>>63663560
>be-bop musicians like lenny tristano
dont listen to this guy. dunno what hes talking about. lenny tristano was not really a bop musician and started the west-coast jazz scene/school which had a very different sensibility to the east-cosast. a lot of very complicated 'lines' on the progressions of famous old standards (new tunes writtien over these existing/famous sequences which were much more technically demanding than the original show tune melodies) he focused much more on clean, melodic, linear improvisations tht didnt really take influence from the blues and more expressive styles of jazz. related artists were people like warne marsh, lee konitz among others.
>>
>>63663664
>lenny tristano was not really a bop musician and started the west-coast jazz scene/school
Only after he had spent years in NYC playing with Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Max Roach. When he recorded Intuition in 1949 "cool jazz" wasn't even really a thing yet and Tristano was considered a bebop player.

Cool/west coast jazz was just an outgrowth of bebop. Most of the players who come to mind as "cool school" players started off playing bebop in the 40's.
>>
>>63663795
yeh true but thats like saying coltrane was an R&B alto player coz he started off in earl bosticks band. i was just clarifying that his main contributions were in that cool school era (hence i said not really a bop musician instead on not a bop musician at all). in the same wy i wouldnt describe konitz or marsh or whatever as bop players i would use that term for tristano, despite there will have been instances where all played bop. didnt mean to start shit, just thought it was a relatively misleading posst.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.