[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you care for the current state of audio dynamic range?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: Loud-Audio-File-wiki.png (32 KB, 818x509) Image search: [Google]
Loud-Audio-File-wiki.png
32 KB, 818x509
How much do you care for the current state of audio dynamic range?

I personally will always seek out a recording with the highest DR and loathe the whole swathe of "digitally remastered" albums that just sound louder. Music is so compressed nowadays that in ten years literally every song will sound like Atari chip tunes.
>>
how can i see how much my music is compressed ?
i listen to my music on foobar and only 320kpbs and flac
>>
>>63661220
I care, but I won't seek out the absolute best DR pressing/CD rip of an album unless the others are terrible (Frances the Mute and Deloused in the Comatorium are some where I downloaded a vinyl rip instead)

>>63661490
Audacity
>>
how autistic do you have to be to analyze every album you download

If an album sounds like shit I delete it and download a different copy, end of story
>>
>>63661532
http://dr.loudness-war.info/

you just check an album here and find the rip you want on rutracker or what.cd, no analyzing required

though I personally don't worry about it unless the CD version is terrible
>>
>>63661532
It's fairly easy to tell how compressed a song is.
>>
>>63661591
I know what the loudness war is thank you very much
>>63661599
that's why I said I delete it if it sounds like shit
>>
>>63661591
you realize this has nothing for people who aren't /mu/ drones
>>
>>63661642
They don't even have Health what the fuck
>>
>>63661490
Get "Waveform Seekbar" component for Foobar.
>>
File: 2016-03-29_14-41-15.png (17 KB, 827x30) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-29_14-41-15.png
17 KB, 827x30
>>63661490
>>63661857
this, it's pretty nice
>>
>>63661532
>If an album sounds like shit I delete it and download a different copy

the compression is already in the mastering. this not about lossy format compression.
>>
>>63661923
he's probably talking about albums with multiple releases which are sometimes remastered
>>
>>63661923
>>63661948

Although I don't have a wcd account plus I can't torrent at school so I still have a bunch of compressed stuff. It doesn't really bother me unless it's really terrible desu
>>
>>63661948
possibly, but i don't think so. anyway, more recent albums that have only one release on cd are mostly brickwalled/compressed to death in the mastering process. after that as a consumer there's not much you can do to make them sound better. it's a sad state.
>>
>>63661887
lame
>>
File: seekbar.png (515 KB, 1897x246) Image search: [Google]
seekbar.png
515 KB, 1897x246
>>63661992
It's pretty customizable though
>>
>>63662045
ok you won me over
>>
If it's just compressed, it's too bad but I can live with it.
If it has audible clipping, I'm bothered.

When there's a difference between CD and vinyl, vinyl rips can be preferable but it depends. The one I found for Blackstar for instance had really bad surface noise so it didn't sound much better than the brickwalled CD one. Maybe there's a better one available now, I don't know.
>>
>>63662407
I still don't know what clipping sounds like and I don't want to either because then I'll probably delete all of my music in a fit of autistic rage
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.