[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: UNPOPULAR OPINIONS.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: unpopular opinions.png (7 KB, 663x251) Image search: [Google]
unpopular opinions.png
7 KB, 663x251
Opinions that normally get you crucified on /mu/, BUT you honestly believe them. No bullshit contrarianism for the sake of contrarianism. I'll start:

>Dean Blunt & Igna Copeland's Black Is Beautiful is better than Dean Blunt's Black Metal (only by a little bit though)

>Van Dyke Parks is better than The Beach Boys/Brian Wilson ever was. especially Song Cycle, which is an absolutely fucking beautiful album, to the point I almost cry listening to it, and it absolutely blows away Pet Sounds and Smile
>>
electro swing has potential if we first kill the fanbase
>>
Bohemian rhapsody is the most annoying song ever to be recorded, even more annoying than whip my hair, mostly because everyone is trying to forget about that, whereas bohemian rhapsody is literally everywhere
>>
most cultural endeavours post 2000 are worthless
>>
>>63641884

I actually agree with this
>>
File: in a tidal wave of mystery.jpg (23 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
in a tidal wave of mystery.jpg
23 KB, 300x299
best pop album of the past 10 years
>>
File: 1442628768705.jpg (32 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1442628768705.jpg
32 KB, 604x604
Bach's music blows ass. There is literally zero emotional depth to any of it. I listened to Art of Fugue and was just amazed that anybody could ever feel the need to practice, rehearse, and perform that monstrosity of autism.
>>
File: turnys overall top 50.jpg (4 MB, 1500x3000) Image search: [Google]
turnys overall top 50.jpg
4 MB, 1500x3000
turny > scaruffi > fantano
>>
>>63642056
who is turny?
>>
I think Death Grips sound like absolute garbage and question why they were ever liked here.
>>
>>63642177
One of the longest running trips along with Witchy and Wait, What?
>>
File: 1455585684531.jpg (82 KB, 492x478) Image search: [Google]
1455585684531.jpg
82 KB, 492x478
>>63642239
Wait, people actually pay attention to trips?
>>
File: 203422204_b04eee394e.jpg (19 KB, 276x413) Image search: [Google]
203422204_b04eee394e.jpg
19 KB, 276x413
Curve are much better than either MBV or Slowdive
>>
>>63641844
Electro swing is currently literally taking someone else's work and mixing it and adding a beat to it. It's nothing compared to actual swing. But I respect your opinion, because if you find enjoyment in it then there is nothing to be ashamed of.

Please don't be afraid to share your honest opinions on /mu/, anons. I held mine tight for the longest time, I recently let them known to a few anons and it was amazing. I was happy. So please, guys don't feel like you have to hold back musical opinions. Everyone has good opinions, no matter how dumb they may sound. Except rap, fuck rap.
>>
I want sounthern metal to breed with EDM
>>
ITAOTS is the worst album ever made
>>
>>63643603
Contrarianism or Exaggeration
>>
>>63643686
Kid Cudi may be bad but at least this isn't as bad as ITAOTS.
>>
>>63641806
I dont know the difference between pleb and patrician albums. I have no musical ear.

Not an opinion, but it makes me feel bad.
>>
I think TVU is the best VU album and overall Doug Yule was better for Lou Reed than John Cale.
>>
>>63643728
Just enjoy what you like :(
>>
>>63643728
the ones you like and the majority of people in the thred don't like are patrician
>>
>>63641806
Chvrches suck
Sigur ros sucks
Metallica is the best band ever
>>
>>63643758
I try :)
>>
I like Gorillaz but some of their songs are dorky.
>>
>>63641884
this
shit song desu
>>
File: wdadu.jpg (55 KB, 470x466) Image search: [Google]
wdadu.jpg
55 KB, 470x466
When Dream and Day Unite is Dream Theater's best album

Hell, even admitting I listen to this plebprog band would get me crucified here :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 933x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 933x700
I actually make music but it's social suicide to promote "harsh noise" and "drone" as actual music, on top of that I shamelessly promote it but honestly, I want to look for collaborators and such, my band's name is Natihil and you can contact me at [email protected]

I have collaborated quite a few times. But I would love to share music that hasn't been released if you want to contribute by adding songs.

I advertise on YouTube, and occasionally social media.

Yes this sounds like spam, but the unpopular opinion is the "Noise" would be considered music lol

Who likes Merzbow, CCCC, Deerhoof, Zeni Geva, NON, Whitehouse, Sal Solaris, Deutsch Nepal, Con-Dom, Black Leather Jesus, SPK, or maybe something like Suicide or The Velvet Underground?
>>
>>63641806
BigBeat is trash, Trip Hop is trash, Britpop is trash. The only good band out of 90's Britain is Radiohead

Trout Mask is important culturally but you idiots are fucking fooling yourself into enjoying listening to it. It's literally the fucking point of the album to not be enjoyable. Safe as Milk is much better

Weezer is a horrible band and Pinkerton is really really cringey and only for weebs.

This one won't get me crucified but I had never actually listened to Grimes until last night but the people that defend her on her are grade A fags

Scaruffi is the best critic but you guys blindly suck his dick, his taste is not god

Arcade Fire is trite shit and anyone who defends it has no taste. Yes, even funeral is bad
>>
Trouble Will Find Me is literally one of the most boring albums I have ever had the misfortune of hearing
>>
While they weren't bad, The Pixies are far less interesting than contemporary acts like Sonic Youth, MBV, Dinosaur Jr., and Cocteau Twins. Quite frankly, why they're held in the regard they are confuses me.
>>
>>63644223
I have the answer: they're more poppy, they had kim deal and francis' voice was very nice

also, they were VERY easy to play and used little to no weird guitar effects

t. someone who can't stand SY, MBV and CT, love Dinosaur Jr. though
>>
Andrew Savage is a better songwriter than Stephen Malkmus.
>>
I enjoy every Green Day album, Animal Collective were shit up until Painting With which I love, Loveless is fine but Shoegaze has come a long way since then, even pop starts like Lady Gaga have more musical merit than Metallica
>>
>>63644179
Agreed, not an unpopular opinion
>>
while I enjoy plenty of music that was influenced by shoegaze the genre itself is uniformly bland and boring.
>>
I can't listen to rap as casually as I can other genres, mainly because I can't follow the lyrics if the flow is too fast (ie Jedi Mind Tricks' first album)
>>
>>63644261

So basically it's accessibility. Not that that doesn't have its merits but I feel that only gets one so far. I've never had much of an ear for catchy stuff, though.
>>
>>63644099
agreed on Weezer being shit, disagree on Britpop
>>
>>63644383
yeah that's about it, why did they hate "here comes your man" so much? Because that's the quintessetial pixies song, the pixies are a somewhat experimental pop band, that's all desu

Love them btw
>>
Since I left you is one of the most boring albums I've ever heard
>>
>>63644456

I don't really like Here Comes Your Man either. I can get behind something like Monkey Gone To Heaven or Debaser, though. Definitely some of the rockier stuff like Tame or I Bleed as well.
>>
>>63644484
Almost used to agree, I always thought that an album made of that many pieces would be more dynamic and colourful, I quite like it now but it's more of a nice listen than an exciting one
>>
>>63642056
>>63642207
these
>>
The best minimalist composer is Steve Reich
>>
Grimes and other blatant waifu faggotry are one of thr main tumors of the cancer that is killing /mu/, the other tumor being tripfags
>>
>>63641884
nothing wrong with this

>>63642041
baroque is the less emotional period of classical music, but also the best one
luckily not all music aims to directly provoke emotions

>>63643603
>there is literally no album worse that itaots
so much edge

>>63643728
just stop listening to plebe albums and you'll progressively acquire patrician taste

>>63643891
underage or bait

>>63644099
>The only good band out of 90's Britain is Radiohead
my bloody valentine, portishead, talk talk, massive attack, boards of canada, cocteau twins, spiritualized, slowdive

>It's literally the fucking point of the album to not be enjoyable.
bullshit

>Scaruffi is the best critic
>Arcade Fire is trite shit and anyone who defends it has no taste
pick one

>>63644319
>even pop starts like Lady Gaga have more musical merit than Metallica
metallica disgust me, but this is just not true
they revolutionized metal

>>63644567
what about arvo pärt?

>>63644577
fucking this
>>
>>63644319
IMO the vocals in green day songs are pretty annoying
>>
>>63644099
yeah, weezer sucks ass
>>63644295
yep
>>
>>63644617
congratulations on being here 4 months
>>
Weezer is panic!at the disco levels of crap
Lonesome crowded west is good but too long
Math rock >>>> post rock
Einstürzende neubauten might be the worst band that is for whatever reason critically acclaimed
The strokes are shit, muse as well
MSI has some legit 10/10 tracks
The argument is the best fugazi album
The ex is the best punk band
>>
I love that slick 80s production
>>
The best composer of the Baroque era was Elisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre
>>
>>63641806
I think the length of many songs kills them slightly. I love Pink Floyd but echoes is 23mins long and is a real shame cause I love the song but it becomes quite difficult to listen to whenever you want. I think music with a message is at its best when it's made accessible length is hurtful to lots of great music which is a shame.
>>
>>63644711

> MSI has some legit 10/10 tracks

I like MSI but I can't think of any 10/10's. Some high tier ones like Stupid MF or Backmask but I dunno about 10/10's.
>>
>I really despise slint
>Crass is the best punk band of all time
>car seat headrest, while now a meme, is really fucking fantastic
>talk talk is overrated
>titus Andronicus is the best rock band out there
>kavinsky is actually good
>I like abba and bruce springsteen a lot
>>
Human after all is Daft Punks best album by far
>>
Michael Jackson has more 10/10 tracks than Prince.
>>
>>63644456
I like here comes your man but I love gouge away and monkeys gone to heaven.
>>
>>63644731

I like some 80's production. I think it can get too slick like on Cocteau Twins' Treasure or Screw off The Cure's Head on the Door, but something a bit less egregious like Disintegration sounds great.
>>
>>63644763
personally I think it has more to do with the song it's self than the length, Echoes is when Pink Floyd was starting in on it's pompous over blown period and that song reflects that, it doesn't go anywhere and is extremely pretentious about the fact that it goes no where, that's the real problem with the song, it's not the length, but what is done with it, pun not intended.
>>
>the AF self titled has only three good songs and Honestly is completely ruined because of the 4 minute padding
>most emo revival bands are shitty (emo influenced math rock is fine)
>sunbather is an atmospheric screamo album
>99% of the pop punk bands sound exactly the same
>pg 99, saetia and orchid are the only screamo bands worth listening
>>
>Noise and its derivatives (noise rock, power electronics, etc.) are inherently talentless genres that warrant no respect, and I think lower of you if you think they are better than other genres
>s/t is the only good TVU album
>Nico is not a good singer
>Trout Mask Replica is dadaist garbage that should not be taken seriously
>Zappa, Captain Beefheart, John Zorn, and all other wacky genre hopping artists are terrible and hide their lack of skill in one genre by jumping around
>Bob Dylan is not a good lyricist or guitarist
>Progressive or post-anything is almost entirely corny ass garbage for fedoras, and I think lesser of you for liking it over the standard stuff
>If you claim to love experimentation but cannot explain what makes something experimental using technical terminology, you are fucking stupid and should go back to radio pop
>If you cannot play the piano and at least one other instrument, you are in no position to discuss music
>>
>>63642578
I used to hate Rap and only listeneded to Bebop Swing and Classical Music but then I heard this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxN4nKk2cfk
>>
>>63644897
I was just using that as an example, I mean overall long songs are less accessible and that is damaging to songs.
>>
>>63644617
Talk Talk, My Bloody Valentine, and the Cocteau twins are all 80s bands. They released material in the 90s sure, but they all began in the 80s
>>
while ideally it's good to explore into different genres and listen to a wide variety of the music that makes up said genre, there is nothing wrong with liking "entry-level" artists.
>>
File: when r.jpg (35 KB, 600x406) Image search: [Google]
when r.jpg
35 KB, 600x406
Rock sucks
>>
The most entry level musicians in more experimental genres are typically the best, so it's only natural that they receive the most praise, and shitting on people for liking Les Rallizes Denudes but not knowing some psychedelic noise jam band that performed once in 1976 is asinine.
>>
>>63644979
>piano

why the piano m8?
>>
>>63645012
didn't Massive Attack, Spiritualized, and Slowdive start in the 80s as well?
>>
>>63645088
Is that a real question??
>>
K-pop is good.
>>
i love twenty one pilots
>>
>>63645107
ye
>>
>>63645117
kys
>>
>>63645105
I'm pretty sure they did, I just didn't include them because they hadn't released stuff in the 80s but they were definitely together in the 80s
>>
>technique is way overrated
>Mark Hollis' s/t is the best album of the 90s and only when people are still listening to it 100 years from now will people realise
>full communism now
>mahler didn't need to write the first three movements of his 2nd symphony, or indeed anything else, because if he'd left us with just movements 4 and 5 people wouldn't hate him so much.
>jazz is still better than most pop music
>y'all need to stop being so white teenager
>blackstar is the best album bowie has done since low
>jethro tull are a fucking brilliant band and anyone who says otherwise just can't in2 minstrelsy
>>
Painting With is better than MPP.
>>
sublime was a good band
the glow Pt. 2 is a horrible album
Bono isn't a cunt, just misunderstood
there is some good wubstep
>>
>>63644979
>Noise and its derivatives (noise rock, power electronics, etc.) are inherently talentless genres that warrant no respect, and I think lower of you if you think they are better than other genres
I agree that it is an easy genre, but think about it: the first people who did it, were innovative somehow. After the first acts, comes the imitators. Anyways, I like Whitehouse.
>Progressive or post-anything is almost entirely corny ass garbage for fedoras, and I think lesser of you for liking it over the standard stuff
Post punk, progressive and post rock are authentic genres, anything but that is completely pseudo intelectual garbage.
>>
Homogenic might not be my favorite Bjork album, but it's inarguably one of her best and one of the best albums of the 90's. It gets flack on here because /mu/ doesn't like the idea of enjoying something accessible and popular.
>>
Conservatives are incapable of making good music (and making good art in general).
>>
I really, really like Flatbush Zombies, like #1 fan shit.
>>
>>63644617
>luckily not all music aims to directly provoke emotions
then whats the use of this all....
>>
Old school hip hop comes across as cliche as hell, I still don't really like Wu Tang. Female singers are the best, except for Jeff Mangum and Ween.
>>
>>63645186
so you think that post-disco, an actual, but lesser known genre that coincided with post-punk is an illegitimate genre?
>>
>>63645158
you are right about everything
>>
>>63645244
You mean house music?
>>
>>63641806
I really miss the time when rap and hip hop were socially conscious and cool as fuck. It's still trying nowadays, but it's not the same.

>>63645117
Kpop died the day TVXQ broke up.
>>
>>63645239
You are retarded as fuck If you like new school more than old
>>
>>63645271
no...
also I am guessing you are just being a trolling cunt so I'm not even take this seriously, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>63645128
pls respond

>>63645117
charisma.com is legit good
>>
Disco is amazing
>>
The emotional value of music is far more valuable than the technical aspect, and the people who circlejerk about technique and shit probably don't actually know much themselves.
>>
>>63645239
>Wu Tang
>old school
Wu Tang is 90s gangstah rap, old school is specifically stuff from the early to mid 80s. Know your sub-genres foo.
>>
>>63645336
This. Technically brilliant art is meaningless if it doesn't evoke emotion.
>>
Punk is more important and artistic genre than Post-punk
>>
>>63645361
Another unpopular opinion, sub genres are for dildos
>>
I like most of Dream Theater's stuff and I think their most recent effort, The Astonishing, is their best album since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
>>
>>63645076
king crimson
>>
>>63645295
Lol think what youd like. Painting With is better than MPP imo. There are songs on MPP that drag on. Painting With is concise and a lot more innovative. Not to mention it has a clear theme and aesthetic to it.
>>
>>63645425
no
>>
>>63645392
actually hating the concept of subgenres is actually very popular among contrarian hipsters right now
>>
Radiohead is shit.
>>
Broken Social Scene is the best band to come out of Canada, Arcade Fire can eat a dick.

Dan Barrett is one of the best musicians of the past decade. Every one of his projects is great in some way and he does some pretty fucking ambitious stuff even if it doesn't always pay off (lol Nahvalr)

Elliott Smith is one of the ten best musicians to ever live

Medulla is underrated and Vespertine is overrated

The King of Limbs is better than both Hail to the Thief and The Bends and is on the same level as Amnesiac
>>
>>63645377
I don't know what you consider to be punk rock. Can you name some specific bands on both genres?
>>
>>63645454
You take that back, Creep is a great song
>>
Led Zeppelin is overrated
>>
>>63644979
A lot of this seems way too fucking retarded to be bait or blatant contrarianism.
>>63645076
Most entry level rock (AC/DC, Journey, Boston) is shit but you cannot tell me an entire genre objectively, or really even subjectively, sucks. That's just plain incorrect.
>>
>>63645392
>mentions a sub-genre in his post
>called out for using the term incorectly
>WWWHHHHAAAAA I DON'T LIKE SUBGENRES NEHOW
>>
>>63645478
Creep is a shit song.
>>
>>63645365
But anything can evoke emotion - there's no magical quality imbued inside the music. It ultimately is up to the listener to project the emotions within themselves upon a piece based upon subjective experience. There's really no formula. People have such a narrow view of emotion, imo. Pure aesthetic forms can evoke feeling.
>>
>>63641806
I like Dave Matthews Band
>>
Halsey is a decently talented artist.
>>
>>63645486
Pretty sure it was a joke. But yes, Creep is trash.
>>
/Mu/ likes too many whiny artists. Way too much of /mu/core is shitty whiners.

>>63645454
With /mu/'s love to hate on popular artist, I'm surprised that people like Radiohead here. I can't stand there shit.
>>63645486
Creep is such a whiny song.
>>
>>63645482
>this thread
>bothering to call out people for shit opinions

You can't live this way
>>
>>63645524
>Creep is a whiny song.

Fucking agreed. If you go to Creep on YT the comments are cancer, all emo depressed teens who claim Radiohead saved their lives and "omg this song describes me I'm such a creep XD". Cringe.

But I also agree with you. I try listening to some stuff /mu/ praises and half of it I find unlistenable just due to the vocals.
>>
>>63645490
I understand what you're saying, anon. I think I should've said intent was also important.

>>63645504
>>63645524
I mean, it's not a /bad/ song, I just fucking hate it. Same with Fake Plastic Trees.
>>
>there is no reason to start exploring a genre at the originators of the genre
>the idea of essential artists is fucking stupid and often counterproductive
>there's nothing wrong with someone only liking a couple of bands in a genre
>>
>>63645454
>>63645524
Another opinion: the majority of /mu/ shits on Radiohead because they're popular.

I can understand people who give them a chance and hate Thom Yorke's voice or think he's pretentious (he is desu) but most of the time people's justifications for disliking them just boil down to "lol they suck" or "I hate Kid A"
>>
>>63645573
Fake Plastic Trees is definitely worse than Creep though.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 300x300
Well, saying I listen to Dream Theater is stupid enough to mention, but I actually really like their most recent album even if the cover art does look like a 15 year olds creation. The album is the best thing they've done in a while although it is too fucking long.
>>
>>63645540
I wasn't calling some one out of a shit opinion, I was calling them out for using a term incorrectly, that has nothing to do with opinion. Stop trying to turn things around, you are only making yourself look like a moron.
>>
>>63645600
Not at all. I cannot disagree with this any more.
>>
>>63645610
Not even him anon, just saying that arguing on here is often futile
>>
>>63645486
>>63645524
>>63645567

Creep made sense in the 90s for a young newcomer band, but there's no reason today to listen to it again.
>>
Death grips is shit
>>
>>63645607
>although it is too fucking long
my problem with dream theater

but since this is an unpopular opinions thread: james labrie is not a terribl singer and john myung, despite being not as good as fans think, is the best composer in the band
>>
>>63641898
Most cultural endeavors pre-2000 were worthless.
>>
leave rap to the niggas, whiggas
and hiphop is dead
>>
>>63645181
>a bit
>no
>no
>no
>>
>>63645599
agreed, I actually don't understand why these people are acting like /mu/ usually likes radiohead, they must be from /r9k/ or /v/ and going on the outdated information about this board that they spout to each other.

Also, Thom Yorke isn't pretentious at all, watch or read some interviews.
>>
>>63645689
Most cultural endeavors post-10,000 BC were worthless.
>>
K-Pop is fucking cancer I don't care if this opinion is popular it's trash.
>>
>>63645680
I don't think LaBrie deserves all the flak he gets, although he is pretty bad live from what I've seen. And yeah, I like DT, but there are some times where I just wish they'd hold back (it's usually Rudess, I swear he just HAS to play a million notes). And yeah, Myung is definitely the best lyricist and composer.
>>
Rap is music like black are people
>>
>>63645325
this
>>63645646
It's not horrible, just rather mediocre.

Creep >Fake Plastic Trees > My Iron Lung

>>63645662
Death Grips is good though.
>>
There must be an emptiness that cannot be fulfilled for the longtime tripfags to appear everytime he shows up when he's mentioned or longtime tripfags are brought up.
>>
>>63645579
>there is no reason to start exploring a genre at the originators of the genre
I disagree, after the original scene, much of what was released is imitation. Black metal is a perfect examples, I see countless Darkthrone and Burzum clones being glorified on Internet circles. Another example: I don't think that there is any crust punk worth listening if you already listen to Discharge and Amebix in my opinion.

>the idea of essential artists is fucking stupid and often counterproductive
I didn't get what you tried to say.
>>
>>63645730
good meme
>>
>>63645713
Im convinced listening to K-Pop music is just a joke used by neckbeards to simply fap to Koreans that are way younger than they are. And even if it isn't, the music itself is objectively trash. There is literally no redeeming factor in it.
>>
Vinyl is great and completely pointless for the listening experience, I only buy it to look like I know what I'm talking about and because I essentially get a high quality print out of the album artwork
>>
All non-Classical music released before 1950 are a waste of time to listen to

Most music released before 2000 is worse than music released after 2000

The last 16 years have been the best in music history
>>
File: 1ZAau.jpg (663 KB, 1986x1374) Image search: [Google]
1ZAau.jpg
663 KB, 1986x1374
Kanye West will go down as one of the most influential rappers, producers, fashion designer and overall cultural influence on urban youth in the 21st century.
>>
>>63645730
omg, gb2 /pol/
that is the response you wanted, right?
>>
>>63645730
Black people are good people = Rap Music is good music
>>
>>63645808
It's honestly almost the only genre I listen to right now
>>
>>63645704
lol I'm basing it off interviews man, Radiohead is one of my favorites but he does strike me as pretty pretentious. Not necessarily a dick but pretty pretentious. Calling the music of one of your admirers "lifestyle music" will do that to you.

I also don't really think of him as a genius like a lot of people say he is. Kid A is great but it's not like it's anything that hadn't been done before. Maybe it hadn't been done all at once, with a unified theme, or something.

Feel free to correct me.
>>
>>63645793
le may mays
>>
>>63644711
you got the first one wrong, Panic are a lot better than Weezer
>>
>>63643686
This album was pretty decent and the extreme hate it got is ridiculous when there are shittier albums.

Also
>electronic music in general is way better than rock music in general
>shoegaze has a lot of potential but all the bands are rich kids with a shit ton of pedals
>Hail to the Thief is the best Radiohead album
>>
>>63645861
I'm not wrong though.
>>
>>63645853
>Maybe it hadn't been done all at once, with a unified theme, or something.
The album is based on a themed experimental "modern classical" suite from the 60s, isn't it?
>>
File: image.jpg (445 KB, 1699x1496) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
445 KB, 1699x1496
Porcupine Tree is in my top five favorite bands of all time.
>>
>>63645837
I don't listen to New hip hop at all or rock mostly old shit now.
>>
>>63641884
Yup
>>
>>63644711
>Weezer is panic!at the disco levels of crap
>Lonesome crowded west is good but too long
>Math rock >>>> post rock
Absolutely.

>The argument is the best fugazi album
Underrated for sure, but I think this is going too far.
>>
>>63645908
I need to diversify my taste. I have been hip hop obsessed and I love it so much but I'm not listening to anything else.
>>
>>63645782
>All non-Classical music released before 1950 are a waste of time to listen to
Whatever you're smoking, it's got to be good if you don't think Mercer, Ellington, Goodman, or Tatum are good.
>>
>>63641898
Disagree, and it's also too early to see the effekt of these endeavours
>>
Only the first noise/noise rock/power electronics/etc. were good. Every new artist from the 80s onward is derivative and forgettable.
>>
>>63642578
Busdriver's cosmic cleavage is a good start for your intro to not shit rap.

Going entirely off the statements you made, you will love it.
>>
>>63645853
not that anon, but i think he just gets super intense aboiut the things he feels are important (like global warming/the environment)

when it comes to his music though, he isn't pretentious at all. i remember one interviewer said something along the lines of kid a being weird or experimental, and thom was like "nah, it's total pop music compared to what are influences were/are"
>>
STGSTV is shit, and makes me wonder what you guys even consider music. This is coming from someone who loves AnCo as well.
>>
>>63645907
I'm pretty sure most of /mu/ would agree with this... not sure what makes you think /mu/ doesn't like Porcupine Tree.
>>
File: eminem.jpg (54 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
eminem.jpg
54 KB, 620x372
Outside of his early singles, Eminem was never good.
>>
>>63646019
kys
>>
>>63643891
For real? Fucking Metallica is GOAT? To each his/her own I guess, but that rustles me violently.
>>
>>63646000
>and makes me wonder what you guys even consider music.
It's like 90% pretty catchy pop tunes.
>>
>>63645901
also, to add to that, I swear I remember some 70s krautrock concept album that I can't remember the name of that sounds a lot like Kid A.
>>
>>63646019
Curtain Call is the only album of his anyone should listen to.
>>
>>63643962
Exactly my relationship with Ghost. Couldn't put a word on it at first, but then no one else than Fantano called them dorky, and that fits well.
>>
>>63646042
They were pretty amazing in their prime but even as a Metallica fan I wouldn't call them GOAT.
>>
Trout Mask Replica is great and I really don't understand why it's so divisive.
>>
>>63646096
Because it's so fucking hard to swallow. I barely got 2-3 songs in and I was lost. I haven't listened to it since.
>>
>>63646096
Because it's inaccessible.
>>
>>63642239
Witchy and wait, what? still go here?
Tell Witchy I said hi next time you see him, he recommended some good black metal to me back in the day.
>>
>>63644319
Totally agree with the last, I think Lady Gaga is an amazing artist.
>>
>>63646043
what is BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
>>
File: 1458342632311.gif (4 MB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
1458342632311.gif
4 MB, 200x183
>>63646032
found the Stan
>>63646066
agreed and checked muh nigga
>>
>>63646142
The Fame Monster was fucking amazing. I think there was one song on that I didn't like.

On the other hand, Born This Way was trash.
>>
>>63646132
>>63646127
more people really need to get it through their heads that inaccessible doesn't equal bad.
It's like all those people that hate Merzbow and anyone that likes it.
>>
>>63646144
Well 100-90=10

so I guess part of the other 10% of the album.
>>
>>63646160
Not a Stan. Just a regular fan. I don't really listen to him much anymore though.
>>
>>63646202
I never once said it was bad. Just hard to listen to.
>>
>>63646183
What do you think of Artpop and Cheek to Cheek, I was so put off by Born This Way that I didn't even bother with them.
>>
Music sucks
>>
>>63646265
I was referring to the people that hate on the album and people that like it, not your post, in fact I was using your post as an example of how people should react to it rather than erratic anger. But then again, some people are just wired to hate what they don't understand.
>>
File: Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg (123 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg
123 KB, 450x450
Peoples opinion on this album has too much to do with how popular it is. The more popular it has become, the more people have disliked it. I don't have a problem with someone disliking it at all, but if you feel like a special snowflake for only liking music with a smaller audience, you're a cunt
>>
>>63641884
agreed
>>
>>63646333
>The more popular it has become, the more people have disliked it
Every album on /mu/ ever
>>
>>63646308
this
music is so 2003, random noises is where it's at
>>
Folk music is the best genre of music. I'm not talking Bob Dylan though, I mean people like Pete Seeger, Woodie Guthrie, Lead Belly.
>>
>>63646319
Most uneducated folk are much the same.
>>
>>63641884
>but le 4 songs in one xd
The ballad and the hard rock part would be pretty good as individual songs though
>>
>>63644099
Triphop is trash? Have you listened to Portishead?
>>
>>63646333
thanks for reminding me that I need to relisten to that album
>>
>>63646401
I almost said something to that effect but I didn't want to seem pretentious.
>>
>>63646019
>his early singles
you mean when he was literally a vanilla ice rip off?
>>
>>63646275
Artpop might be her best album imo. Don't understand the hate on Born This Way.
>>
Nature is music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzACrNBYKFE
>>
>>63646333
I just really like the album cover. I feel indifferently with the music itself though.
>>
>>63646527
no music without intention imo

animals count but waterfalls, thunders and shit like that don't, they do make some interesting sounds but it's not music
>>
>>63646475
Born This Way is a mediocre attempt to half cash in on what she was already doing, and half cash in on trends that were popular at the time.
>>
>>63646559
it most definitely is music... just because it's not by humans doesn't mean anything. Can't you hear the rhythm from the frogs?
>>
>>63645481
>you cannot tell me an entire genre subjectively sucks
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>63646577
>>63646475
actually...
>look at Artpop's producer list
>Zedd, Infected Mushroom, David Guetta, Will.I.am
eww, never mind.
>>
>>63646680
re-read his comment a few times
>>
>>63646731
this, except Will.I.am can actually make a decent song, the others can't
>>
>>63641806
Literally the only reason you think some music is good is because someone told you it was.

Conversely, there is some music you think is good because someone said it wasn't good.

Addendum, some music you think is good, but you technically haven't heard anything about it, but your mind forms connections of music it is related to to tell you if it's good or not.
>>
>>63646767
>Will.I.am can actually make a decent song,
he hasn't in about ten years though.
>>
>>63646860
The E.N.D is actually decent but other than that you're right.
>>
i actually like top and i hope the '/v/' influx will force some people to listen to them who mightve not before, their s/t is pretty ight
>>
>>63646333
Not avant garde and randomb enough I dont like it
-All /mu/
>>
>>63641806

The Division Bell is a good album

Octopus is overrated, Gentle Giant has better albums like In A Glass House and The Power and The Glory

The Yes Album is better than Fragile

Starless and Bible Black is a better album than Red, the only thing from Red that beats it is Starless (King Crimson's best song btw)
>>
>>63645793
>urban youth
nah, i live amongst the urban youth and hear no kanye.

maybe amongst the suburban youth.
>>
>>63645793
His production and music will most likely go down in history but so will his arrogant attitude. He will not be declared legendary and he will not be remembered as a fashion designer. His fashion line is a complete rip-off of Rick Owens and rap Simmons. The only thing that sells of Yeezy is his shoes.
>>
>>63646559
>water doesn't count
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJg5tY8QZLk
>>
>>63646919
Nah senpai I can put up with a lot of shit in this thread but liking twenty one pilots is just awful taste
>>
Deagnelo makes some of the most boring music ever put to record.
>>
>>63647082
there's clearly human work behind this m8, I'm ready to change my mind though
>>
>>63644055
I like that stuff familia, but I don't like collabing v much. I'll check out your music though. :((((
>>
>>63647082
yeah, it's a guy manipulating the samples/field recordings. not just water.
>>
Radiohead is terrible
>>
>>63647251
this is barely an unpopular opinion on /mu/ at this point.

just read this thread lol
>>
reggae, as a musical & mental concept, is worth its weight in platinum
>>
>>63647100
look their ukulele songs are great and if blurryface was more of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbP-aIe51Ek and less stressed out it would be new mu
>>
Hip Hop is mostly devoid of creativity. Almost all of it has a 4/4 drum break and "muh hood" lyrics.
>>
File: the_Saracen.jpg (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
the_Saracen.jpg
23 KB, 400x400
>>63647416
>look their ukulele songs are great
>>
Fear of Music is worst Talking Heads album out of their first five.
>>
File: BUG4dKeCMAAAOHF.png (255 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
BUG4dKeCMAAAOHF.png
255 KB, 500x500
>>63641806
This album is dope af
>>
Black metal turned to shit after the first wave of Norwegian bands. The rest were just imitators. There are of course a few exceptions.
>>
>>63647743
>metal
>good
>>
File: 1375398714_1372886143-viper.jpg (25 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1375398714_1372886143-viper.jpg
25 KB, 280x280
viper is good non ironically and non memetically
>>
>>63645123
I don't love them, but they got some pretty great tunes.
>>63645181
Who says Sublime sucks?
>>
>Scaruffi would change a lot of his methodology and opinions if he actually understood any of what goes into playing and making music, and what American culture is actually like
>really all lyrics are shit if you just read them, especially if you compare it to actual poetry and prose
>people should remember how much pop music and whatnot was made for dancing. None of you faggots dance
>>
>>63647805
ok
>>
>>63647941
>Scaruffi would change a lot of his methodology and opinions if he actually understood any of what goes into playing and making music, and what American culture is actually like
He's live in California since 1983, why wouldn't he know what American culture is like?
>>
>>63645123
plebbest of plebs
>>
>>63645454
cosigned here, radiohead is one of the most boring and overrated bands ever smfh
>>
>>63648195
Just because you personally don't like something doesn't mean it's automatically dismissible as shit.
>>
>>63644577
I dont think this is very controversial, fucking sick of seeing grimes and chvrches waifu threads
>>
>>63648567
Agreed. Bjork fags are just as bad. The worst part is I don't hate any of them. Well Lauren seems like a whiny cunt.
>>
Folk-inspired music is absolute shit out of the Anglosphere, pretty much.

Seriously, no non-english album offers an actual emotional experience while listening (folk singer songwriter stuff that is). Even the foreign stuff that does is in English! Exuma!

Please prove me wrong. I need new albums.
>>
>>63641884
Agreed.

Also, Deathcore is an enjoyable and legitimate subgenre of Metal.
>>
>>63643728
Patrician and Pleb are memes. Musical taste is subjective. Just because you don't listen to the music that is posted 10x a day here or you don't listen to extremely obscure artists, doesn't mean you're lesser than anyone. Listen to what you like. That's what matters. Don't listen to music to impress people on an anonymous website.
>>
>>63650600
/thread.
>>
>>63645199
Literally the worst post ever made on this board

>martial industrial
>neofolk
>hip-hop
>black metal
>non-faggot punk
>fucking classical music
>>
>>63641806
>Dean Blunt is bad
>Death Grips are bad
>Radiohead is mediocre
>Scaruffi has excellent taste and while I don't drone him, I'd rather the board do so than follow pitchfork garbage
>Rap is an objectively terrible genre
>Young Thug, Future, and Drake are all horrible
>MBDTF and The College Dropout are both among the best of their genre and some of the only memorable albums I've heard there
>TLOP was fucking horrible
>Yeezus was too
>Prog > Punk
>Madvillainy is mediocre
>Alvvays sucks
>every post-rock band after the 90s sucks, Godspeed is the last good one along with the Swans revival (neither are great though)
>harsh noise is shit
>Bjork is shit
>Weezer 1994 is a terrible album, Pinkerton isn't great but it's much better in comparison
>early AnCo is better than everything after Sung Tongs
>Deafheaven is trash
>The Ark Work is the only interesting recently released BM album, who cares if it isn't true kvlt metal (although it's still pretty shit)
>Crystal Castles is embarassingly bad
>The Glow Pt. 2 is shit compared to Mount Eerie
>U2 has 3 decent albums which is honestly more than I can say for Radiohead (just 2 there)
>MPP is shit
>Arcade Fire is pretty decent until Reflektor which is one of the most uninteresting pieces of music I've heard this decade
>Tales From Topographic Oceans is an amazing album that most people don't understand
>Nine Inch Nails is unlistenable because I can't stand the lyrical content and the sound making me feel like a school shooter
>Music shouldn't be talked about in any /mu/tant's personal life with anyone other than friends into the same stuff as you
>>
Hipster """metal""" bands like Ghost and The Sword are fucking garbage but atmoshit is fine
>>
>>63642207
They were liked as a meme, and then people started authentically liking them to fit in
>>
File: 1447212433785.jpg (52 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447212433785.jpg
52 KB, 499x499
Green Day is a pretty good band (or at least was), though I admit that they aren't the most musically complex band

Ska is amazing, including but not limited to 3rd wave ska

Electronic music is shit
>>
>>63646998
Can guarantee you know fucking nothing about fashion design. You've literally just namedropped the two fashion designers that the internet knows.

Seriously, name 3 other designers that aren't fucking immortal (Coco Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, etc)
>>
I have never intentionally listened to Bob Dylan, nor do I really care to.

>>63652054
Brutal
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.