[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Tame Impala actually good or are they overrated hipster trash?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: currents.jpg (471 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
currents.jpg
471 KB, 1200x1200
Are Tame Impala actually good or are they overrated hipster trash? Most of my friends seem obsessed with them. If they are worth checking out, where do I start?
>>
pretty good desu. not great but yeah its alright
>>
File: 1f7b_TILONERISM.jpg (2 MB, 3543x3597) Image search: [Google]
1f7b_TILONERISM.jpg
2 MB, 3543x3597
>>63622322
>where do I start?
pic related, their best album

start with the album's main singles (in this order):
1. Elephant
2. Feels Like We Only Go Backwards

if you like those try these (also in this order):
1. Apocalypse Dreams
2. Mind Mischief

if you like all of those above try these:
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Beverly Laurel

if you like ALL of those, listen to the whole album, its well worth it.

best from the album:
Keep On Lying
>>
>>63622322
If you like experimental-ish neo-psychedelia, try Lonerism.
Currents is good if you like more 'straight' psychedelic pop music.
>>
>>63622322
They're great
Kevin parkers probs the most talented person in popular music right now
>>
>>63622549
kinda reminds me of another kevin - mr. shields - in that he has a very specific idea of what he wants his sound to be.
>>
First album is very good psych rock. "Solitude Is Bliss" is the pleb single, "Alter Ego" is tops.

Lonerism is excellent, best album. "Keep On Lying" is one of the best songs of the last 5 years imo.
>>
>7th post
>Still no contrarian hating on the band
What's happening
>>
ITT: r/indieheads responses

You can't lie to me, I know that your kind makes up half of neo-mu.

Tame impala is not hipster, they are both mainstream and shit.
>>
This OP is silly

They have 3 albums ffs , just listen to them and make your own damn mind up.Why should we have to tell you if you like it
>>
File: turtle.jpg (10 KB, 252x150) Image search: [Google]
turtle.jpg
10 KB, 252x150
>>63622650
here i am

they fucking suck
>>
>>63622673
Is anyone saying they're hipster? And does not being hipster make them shit? Lonerism is actually pretty good
>>
The first two albums and the ep are great but he really sold out on currents
>>
Overrated Reddit tier garbage. Listen to TMR by Captain Beefheart, The Ascension by Glenn Branca, or Out To Lunch by Eric Dolphy instead.
>>
>>63623316
Uhh, yeah it is dude
>>
>>63622587

>>63622587
reminds me of a retardednfaggot sprewing nonsense because he knows nothing
>>
the main riff for the less i know the better is fuckin awesome.
>>
>>63623575
OP here. That's the only song of theirs I've heard and it's been stuck in my head for two days.
>>
>>63623623
yep its contagious, it was in my head all day today and id catch myself bobbing my head.
>>
>>63622322
don't listen to >>63622510

Innerspeaker is their best work and Alter Ego is their best song
>>
>>63622322
listen to Melody's Echo Chamber before TI. It's an amazing album with Kevin Parker playing a big role in it
>>
forget about all u read before
smoke a joint and listen to lonerism full, no skips or pauses. you won't regret it
>>
>>63623748
this.
>>
File: image.png (114 KB, 739x888) Image search: [Google]
image.png
114 KB, 739x888
>>63623697
>Innerspeaker is their best work and Alter Ego is their best song
nah
>>
>>63624008
>he considers this an effective rebuttal
LOL
>>
>>63624048
i dont need to justify my response with my own opinion when theres a whole site like RYM that can do it for me
>>
File: 1458208575285.png (555 KB, 3300x3140) Image search: [Google]
1458208575285.png
555 KB, 3300x3140
>>63624086
>>
>>63624086
why bother listening at all
>>
>>63624138
believe it or not art is not subjective and personal opinion doesnt matter
>>
>>63624165
for fun
>>
File: 1456445368377.jpg (22 KB, 651x575) Image search: [Google]
1456445368377.jpg
22 KB, 651x575
>>63624177
>>
Its a great album and Kevin Parker is very talented
>>
>>63623346
TMR is complete garbage in comparison to Tame Impala
>>
File: image.jpg (166 KB, 800x820) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166 KB, 800x820
>>63624341
Wow looks like reddit is here
>>
>>63624008
You understand that the users of that website are not some objective gauge of music quality and that individual people have individual opinions right? I can't believe I have to explain this.
>>
kevin parker's a fuckin genius

Lonerism is chock full of incredible stuff
i think Currents is their best work just because of how coherent and intense it is but most people on here think it's pop trash baka
>>
>>63624365
>doesn't like an album I like
>must be reddit

confirmed 14 year old
>>
>>63622322
Currents is one of my favorite albums of all time. I must have listened to it 20-30 times since it came out last year. But most people think that Lonerism and Innerspeaker are better.

>>63624177
I'm going to assume this is bait, but just in case: How fucking retarded are you? RYM is a site that compiles everyone's personal opinion into an aggregate score.

>>63624341
This is definitely bait.
>>
>>63624553
Just because my opinion doesn't conform to your opinion does not make my post bait
>>
>>63624553
it also averages how how positively received an album is against the negative reviews and votes, so its pretty fair
>>
>>63624599
>implying the users of some random website are an objective gauge of music quality
>>
>>63622549
lmao
>>
>>63624589
You're saying that some psych pop band makes one of the greatest albums of all time look like garbage. I like Tame Impala for what they are, but come on.

>>63624599
It shows what a couple thousand hipsters with similar taste think of an album. It is not a reflection of how good an album is or even what the majority of people think about an album.
>>
If I like Tame Impala what other bands should I check out?
>>
>>63624689
if youve never taken acid you dont really 'get' psychedelic music
>>
>>63624737
You should stop listening to music altogether nothing tops the masterpiece that is "Lonerism".
>>
Tame Impala isnt psych music
>>
>>63624689
>makes one of the greatest albums of all time look like garbage.

that's completely subjective though. what a great album is will differ from person to person. what you like isn't what the rest of the world should define as 'greatest album of all time'
>>
>>63624839
>Parker's music is heavily influenced by late 1960s and early 1970s psychedelic rock,[56] which is achieved through various production methods. Some favoured and often-used effects by Parker include phasing, delay, reverb and fuzz.
>>
>>63624859
Sorry, but no matter how you try and spin it, the sentence "TMR is complete garbage in comparison to Tame Impala" will never not be a completely ignorant and asinine thing to say.

>>63624806
I fail to see how that applies to what I said.
>>
>>63624972
That's just your opinion, just as that statement is my opinion. Stop being so egotistical and thinking that your music tastes define what is good and what is bad.
>>
File: 20111113-082606.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20111113-082606.jpg
214 KB, 1920x1080
>>63624972
>I fail to see how that applies to what I said.
>>
>>63624996
I'm not being egotistical, and in no way do I think my taste defines anything. I believe that all art is subjective, but you need to take into account the creation and impact of the works we're considering here.

I'm not saying Kevin doesn't work hard on his music, but it's nothing compared to what Beefheart put his band through to create TMR: practicing 14 hours a day for a year, mental and physical torture, surviving on the bare minimum amount of food. The composition and arrangements of the songs on TMR and also a lot more complex than those on any Tame Impala album.

The impact that TMR has had on popular music is immeasurable. It is literally impossible to describe how much it has influenced since it was created. All I can say is that everything that has come out since has been somehow influenced by it, directly or indirectly. There was nothing like it before, and there will probably never be anything quite like it again. And if there is, I doubt it will be by Tame Impala.

Your opinion and interpretation of art is subjective sure, but the effort that went into it and the impact of it is not.
>>
>>63622322
It seems to me that this board is pretty split on Tame Impala. About half the posts say that they make derivative Beatles indie-pop, while the other half says that they make amazing experimental neo-psych rock. I've been following Tame Impala since before Innerspeaker came out and I've seen them 4 times over that time period, so I might be a bit biased, but I think I can help explain these two opinions.

Does Tame Impala make derivative Beatles Indie Pop?
Yes.

Does Tame Impala also make amazing neo-psychedelic jams?
Absolutely.

You mentioned here >>63623623 that you've only heard The Less I Know the Better. That's an example of the indie-pop stuff, if you want more like that listen to these suggestions >>63622510 and some other songs on Currents like

The Moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OAUJgXlipY
New Person Same Old Mistakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWs-lVa8Oc

If you want to hear some of their more psychedelic songs and understand why some people (like myself) say they are much more than just an indie-pop group. Try out

My Lover Mother Nature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fojoa5cJb5E
Alter Ego:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iErjaKTX_3w
Endors Toi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP6LgWJJSs
Jeremy's Storm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2SYop7AaY
When the Feeling's In the Core: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIc1p21ztg

>>63624737
If you already like Tame Impala try out:
Pond (has current & former members of tame impala like Jay Watson and Nick Allbrook)
Melody's Echo Chamber (Melody is Kevin Parker's ex girlfriend and he produced this album for her)
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
The Holydrug Couple
Dungen
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
>>
>>63625530
I don't understand why Pond haven't been more popular. In my opinion they run rings around Tame Impala.
>>
tame rules, kevins a god, u try making albums that amazing in your room lmao u wouldn't ever be on that level
>>
>>63625562
I love Pond but I think Nick's vocals might be a bit too bizarre for a mainstream audience. Their music also tends to be a whole lot sillier/goofier than Tame Impala
>>
>>63625530
rarely mature post.
i agree, i love songs like endors toi while most of their other stuff falls short imo. their albums are really inconsistent, that's why mu is so split on them as well. rockist/elitist hate them for that while non-autist people admit that they have a couple of objectively good songs.
>>
I shouldn't like them as much as i do. They're meh as fuck, but i enjoy it
>>
>>63623748
DUDE
WEED
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.