[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
rap shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1457031589396.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
1457031589396.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
How is rap even considered a genre?

Rapping itself is just lyrical poetry. The only thing that distinguishes rap music from other styles of music are the beats and rhythms involved and usually these can stand by themselves if you have a decent producer. Rap doesn't even qualify as a distinct form of vocal music or singing.
>>
>>63577521
WHAT ARE u DOING FROGG?!!
>>
Well, lots of people feel like "rap" simply describes the vocal technique, whereas "hip hop" is the genre of music it is (most frequently) associated with.

If you don't feel like there is distinct, interesting rhythmic and melodic interplay between rap vocals and hip hop beats, I think maybe you just haven't listened to very much of it. It's such a ridiculously vast umbrella genre, just because you don't like young thug doesn't mean you won't like edan.
>>
>>63577521
This is a whole genre you're talking about anon. I guarantee there's SOMETHING within that genre that you would like.

What have you listened to? What are some of your favorite artists at the moment?
>>
File: 1457466020436.jpg (32 KB, 292x366) Image search: [Google]
1457466020436.jpg
32 KB, 292x366
>>63577607
>Well, lots of people feel like "rap" simply describes the vocal technique, whereas "hip hop" is the genre of music it is (most frequently) associated with.

This is more or less what I'm driving at. The problem is that I think those who make this distinction often try to make a distinction between "rapping" and "emceeing," which really is not a musical judgment but a philosophical or ethical one "That's not emceeing, that's not hip hop, that's rap." But even if we choose to distinguish between emceeing and "rapping", neither qualifies as a distinct form of vocal music. Take a style of almost purely vocal music like gregorian chant which doesn't usually have instruments accompanying it. It is distinguishable as a unique style of vocal music. You can't say that for rap more than any other form of spoken word poetry unless the performer assumes a beat as they perform a'capella.

Another problem is that "raps" don't necessarily have to be laid over what is usually identified as hip hop as plenty of jazz, funk or house music has featured rappers doing verses without necessarily forcing the music to take on too many distinctive hip hop attributes.

>>63577639
>This is a whole genre you're talking about anon. I guarantee there's SOMETHING within that genre that you would like.

I never said I didn't like it
>>
i have never seen a post accompanied by that fucking frog that wasn't completely retarded on a juvenile level
>>
>>63577971
>>63577521
fucking frog poster
>>
>>63578017

>doesn't point what's retarded about it

sure showed me
>>
>>63578098
you are what's retarded about it, im not talking buzzword "retarded" but as in you're lacking basic intelligence you fucking philistine frogposter
>>
>>63577521
stop making this bait thread
>>
Rap is generally used as a synonym for hip hop since most hip hop that's popular has rapping over it or the rapper is the main artist people care about.
>>
>>63578140
>im not talking buzzword "retarded"

actually, yeah, you are, because you haven't demonstrated what's retarded about the question and just spout the "dumb frogposter," meme as if that makes you superior
>>
>>63578165

which is pretty stupid when you think about.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.