[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of weird-ass drugs were these guys on to make this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
What kind of weird-ass drugs were these guys on to make this album, /mu/?
>>
depression, probably
>>
>>63562242
shrooms + ketamine
>>
oM peaked on Coquelicot, the only thing they've done since that's even close is Hissing Fauna and Paralytic stalks
>>
File: 34645745634.jpg (4 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
34645745634.jpg
4 KB, 207x200
>>63562327
>>63562307
This makes a lot of sense, actually.

>>63562436
I didn't realize this band even had a fanbase
>>
>>63562436
Can you please explain to me the circle jerk around Coquelicot? I don't think it's even close to the best thing they've ever done, but everyone I've talked to says it's their best album.

>>63562470
>I didn't realize this band even had a fanbase
What?
>>
>>63562470
Like I said, the early work is mostly great. Cherry Peel, Gay Parade, Bedside Drama and Coquelicot are all solid and cool albums, and then kevin decided to make bad indie funk pop and they fell off

>>63562521
Coquelicot to me feels like a very special and unique album. It's pure, unfiltered whimsy. I love the spoken word bits, I love the weird songs that fill the gaps between the sunshine pop. I love how romantic it is, and its one of the few Long Albums that I regularly listen to. Even the 17 minutes of piano at the end I find enjoyable.

It's a record that reminds of my childhood, and I sort of find it on the other side of the STGSTV coin. STGSTV is ache, longing, and nostalgia, and a reluctance about growing up, whereas coquelicot embraces the fun and manic brightness of being a child and in love. It's a stellar record, one of my favorites.
>>
>>63562242
Uncreative people usually say "Lol, drugs," because their life is bland and they can't process originality.
>>
>>63562644
Yeah yeah yeah we've heard it before Mr. straight edge. Seriously though folks this is some trippy shit what the fuck
>>
>>63562570
I see where you're coming from, but I don't think I really share the same feelings. The spoken word parts are not that good even by Of Montreal standards. They are often too long and don't go anywhere. I don't think Coquelicot is bad album by any means, but I just can't seem to understand why it receives so much praise, especially on /mu/. I think the Gay Parade is the best of their early albums, and I thought that was the general consensus until I actually started asking people what they thought.
>>
>>63562644
I, however, am creative and interesting. I post on /mu/
>>
>>63562694
fair enough, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. ranking the early albums I'd go

Coquelicot>Bedside Drama>Gay Parade>Cherry Peel

Coquelicot also reminds me of a very great time in my life when I first started dating a girl I really liked and we spent all summer listening to the record together
>>
>>63562750
Nice. I'd rank the whole discography as:

Paralytic Stalks > Gay Parade > Hissing Fauna > Sunlandic Twins > Satanic Panic > False Priest > Cherry Peel > Coquelicot > Bedside Drama > Skeletal Lamping > Aldhils > Lousy > Aureate Gloom

They're all pretty close though, except Lousy and Aureate Gloom. Both of which, I consider awful.
>>
>>63562966
Paralytic and Hissing Fauna are the only late career work I really find myself returning to. I agree with you about lousy and aureate though. Complete shit.

Whats up with that one album where every song is about dustin hoffman
>>
>>63562999
The Early Four Track Recordings. Only the song titles feature him, he's not mentioned on the actual song.

>>63562966
A lot of other fans I know would agree with this rank, but I personally love Skeletal Lamping and Lousy.
>>
>>63562694
The Gay Parade is definitely one of their strongest early albums, just behind Coquelicot in my opinion. But the latter edges out for me since it builds upon the Gay Parade, conceptually and sonically. The Gay Parade is a lovely album about a handful or so characters and themes, in generally straightforward twee pop songs, with a few experimental segments spattered between it all.
Coquelicot takes and hones in on those more experimental aspects of The Gay Parade to pretty impressing songwriting effect. The song structures and signatures become a lot more chaotic, and as a result a ton of ideas are explored in even some of the shortest songs. It's comparatively very ambitious, folding the characters of the Gay Parade into its own concept, and focusing in on interesting production techniques to achieve some satisfying psychedelic results such as interesting panning, creating texture through noise/ feedback, reverse tracking and layers upon layers of vocal tracks. There's a lot of super dense instrumentation across the majority of tracks which grants plenty of replayability.

It can be extremely saccharine and bizzare at parts though, which initially held me back from really appreciating it.
Also in neither consistency of sound nor concept is Coquelicot as solid and succinct as the Gay Parade, and I can see how people enjoy The Gay Parade all the more for that - it's a really great album. For me though the ambition and high points of Coquelicot elevates it to the top stop of their early career (and very high in their discography in general).
>>
>>63562999
Kek, I forgot that existed. I don't think I've ever listened to it.
>>
>>63562242
God, Could you imagine being so boring and unimaginative that the moment you hear anything remotely psychedelic, you ask "Whoaaaaa what drugs were they on? xD"
Also it's just one dude, OP. "These guys" is actually just Kevin Barnes. This is one of the oM albums that was 100% done by him
>>
>>63563132
That's one of my problems with the kevin barnes solo oM albums, is that it's just him. he makes some cool tunes but I liked them much better as a full band. More input in thsi case meant better music, IMO
>>
Besides Chrissy Kiss The Corpse that's not a particularly weird album
>>
>>63562242
I saw them live last year, they played a couple songs off Satanic Panic and I had a blast. Kevin Barnes is a super charismatic dude and you just can't be in a bad mood with him.

I took a picture with him afterwards when he was half naked and only wearing hot shorts and a sock. You could easily see the outline and he's well endowed :^).
>>
>>63563228
How did you run into him? I saw him last year and waited outside the venue for a while chatting with friends, and none of the band members came out
>>
>>63563265
He was outside the venue by the street before I even got outside. I just assumed he did that at every show. Only he and his brother (wearing a luchador outfit) came out. The rest of the band stayed inside I suppose.

We chatted for a bit and then he went back into the venue's bar. He's super friendly and loved all fans, I'm surprised he didn't chill outside for a bit after the show you went to.
>>
>>63562242
talent & work.
>>
>>63563090
>>63562999
lol what album is about Dustin Hoffman
>>
>>63564131
See
>>63563082
>>
>>63562966
>Lousy that low
Lousy is a fucking fantastic album if you dont go into it expecting another funkpop album. It's a dramatic change of pace, but the songwriting and instrumentation is lovely
>>
>>63562644
normally id agree but you're wrong
> lysergic bliss
> lysergic
thats the L in LSD
> seeing butterflies melting on the wall
> I had a vision of vinyl spiders in a cage
maybe those are about dreams but id bet large sums of money they arent
> try to find a way to spike the senses till everything goes white

i bet im missing 1 or 2 drug references & thats this album alone. they mention hallucinogenic drugs by name on other albums
>>
>>63562242
i dunno but it's their best album anyway
>>
>>63565403
not saying drugs wrote this album btw just they undeniably were part of the process/inspiration
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.