[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Millennials
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
>I"m a millennial, give me free stuff. Especially music, brah, you NEED to leak that album so I can listen to it 3 times max and forget it's on my hard drive, GIMME GIMME GIMME. 10 dollars is too much for a cd GIMME GIMME GIMME. Artists don't make money off of record sales! GIMME GIMME GIMME
>>
>>63559093
why hello mr. shekelstein, sorry to hear about the declining profits of your major label!
>>
>>63559093
my parents pirate, Mr. Goldstein- their friends pirate terabytes of movies and live albums. they are consistently looking for means to get free shit online, and have told me time and time again to look to get it for free first, because there's always a way to buy it if there's no free option
>>
>>63559143
I love how delusional millennials are. I'm fighting the power by stealing media! I'm just like revolutionaries like che and um... the list goes on!
>>
File: 1457358019659.png (141 KB, 439x290) Image search: [Google]
1457358019659.png
141 KB, 439x290
>>63559093
>>
>>63559093
If your library is so pedestrian that it has artists that still care about record sales, that's your problem, not mine.
>>
File: 1457277768167.gif (2 MB, 230x250) Image search: [Google]
1457277768167.gif
2 MB, 230x250
>>63559179
>People download music illegaly because they are communist rebels
>>
>>63559195
The problem is, that's all you'll have. Short one off blasts by very young people. Which is fine too. But they'll be no professionals whose lives work is honing their craft.
>>
>>63559093
>implying previous generations were any different

shitty kids are shitty kids no matter what the generation
>>
>>63559204
They aren't communist rebels, they just think they're rebels. Actual rebels go out and do irl stuff. People like the posters in this thread think they are hurting imaginary jews by stealing music. It's millennial slacktivism taken to a new level because all they're doing is stealing, but they think they're fighting rich evil jews.
>>
>>63559226
Yeah people don't spend money they don't have to. Generation is irrelevant.
>>
>>63559229

nobody who pirates thinks they are a rebel. they just want free shit.

you shouldn't have to pay for art anyways.
>>
I would care more about artists but they make a killing from streams and shit. could you imagine the beatles with spotify royalties
>>
>>63559215
Still incorrect.

There exist many musicians that grew to establish record labels. They've honed their craft, still produce music, and use the label as a platform for spreading their and others' music but don't entirely care much for its record sales.
>>
>>63559229
>Stealing

People pirate music because they don't figure it's worth X amount of dollars to listen to something maybe a handful of times if there's the option to get it for free. They aren't trying to stick it to the label, the labels just want people to think that because it constructs an unpopular strawman.

Pirates just want a song and don't care to pay for it. No agenda involved.
>>
>>63559229
You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube brah. This is the world now.
>>
>>63559229
>People like the posters in this thread think they are hurting imaginary jews by stealing music
literally nobody itt is saying or implying this
>>
>>63559248
damn pop stars must be literally raking it in. some spotify songs have 100 million streams
>>
>>63559250
Not really brah. And the ones who did mostly established their fanbase in another era.

How much time/money/resources can one dedicate to something they're losing money on?
>>
>>63559269
The overwhelming majority of artists make jackdick from streaming.
>>
piracy distributes musical awareness and overall empowers it with a worth that otherwise wouldn't be there
you can only support music by listening to it and being a fan, artist should be so grateful for the millenniala
>>
>>63559281
if they are unsigned they can do really well. don't sign to a label. do 30 - 50 shows a year. don't use itunes put your shit on bandcamp. there ya go your living better than 90% of people enjoy your 6 figures and moderate fame
>>
>>63559093
you're right though, artists barely make anything off CD sales.
also music in physical form is pretty much a dead thing, there just isn't any need.
music is also being produced and released at a much higher rate than before. at this point it's almost all branding, many people don't care about what artists say they care about what liking the artist says about them.
with that said, GIMME GIMME GIMME
>>
>>63559093
Yeah, because millennials are the only ones who pirate anything. Go die in a hospital you old faggot ass baby boomer. It's our turn now, you've fucked the world up enough. Let us fix what you started.
>>
>>63559229
If you think people pirate music as some sort of REVOLUCION you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>63559271
>How much time/money/resources can one dedicate to something they're losing money on?
Enough to maintain it. People of that acclaim and recognition are bound to be sought after for recording opportunities that pay.

And you forget that people can have actual jobs.
>>
>>63559288
Kek. All thats means is that it has made everyone a hobbyist.

There is a reason all the millennial bands are made up of trust fund kids.
>>
>>63559248
what the fuck... how can anyone complain about streams not paying enough. that shit is free fucking money.
>>
>>63559295
Bwahaha. Must musicians today would be incredibly lucky to crack a minimum wage income.
>>
>>63559315
Not to mention if this were ultimately a serious issue, we'd be seeing multiple artists and record labels going under.

That hasn't happened. At all. Has it? Support local and independent artists. Mainstream media and major labels don't need to make money off of CD sales. CDs are obsolete first and foremost, and second, most of the money IS made through shows, touring, and merch. So fuck off you idiot. As someone else already said, the advent of pirating music and free listening has spread more awareness about artists who may otherwise not have gained ANY recognition.
>>
>>63559229
Dude, I just don't want to spend money
>>
>>63559315
Yeah yeah yeah. No one is saying music is going away. But the economic conditions today aren't going to produce master musicians.
>>
>>63559327
It's literally spare change for most artists. A pittance.
>>
>>63559093
Millennial here. Most people my age that I know use spotify or the itunes store for their music. Believe it or not we also buy CDs. I personally pirate so I can listen to shit on my ipod but most people respect that artists and other industry pros need to make a living,
>>
>>63559334
Um multiple labels have gone under. Now we have revival/reunion acts and festival culture. Take it from an oldfag, it use to be much cooler.
>>
>>63559093
>millenial complaining about other millenials

were born in the uh
wrong generation? :O
>>
>>63559340

are you joking? money is not something that is needed to produce master musicians. a lot of the greatest albums ever made were produced on extremely low budgets.
>>
>>63559352
They don't respect it. Which is human nature i suppose. Most professional musicians have been starved out.
>>
>>63559361
But you could still make some kind of living. You could be a mostly full time musician. Now that's semi-impossible.

OF COURSE it takes money to have profesional musicians.
>>
>>63559369
In my circles there is generally a high level of respect for musicians. Not saying everyone my age is the same.
>>
>>63559361
Yeah time is. And time costs money.
>>
>>63559385
No it doesn't. Plenty of heavily acclaimed modern musicians survived without much recognition or money in their time. There was an entire movement based around that called Rock in Opposition.
>>
>>63559352
yep, and in the 80s and 90s some kids bought cds and cassettes and some kids burned cds and shared around dubs and mixtapes. previous generations behaved the exact same way, the only thing that changed is access to sharing technology.
>>
>>63559399
Who? Even the ones who weren't rich, still survived. They we're full time musicians. They weren't accountants with a bandcamp page.
>>
>>63559401
As an oldfag, i will say what you say is true, but the average kid in those days spent much more money on music than they do today.
>>
>>63559436
I literally just said, the Rock in Opposition festival was based around bands who were full time musicians that weren't making any money and weren't getting anywhere because their music was too inaccessible to be marketed to the public.
Yeah, they were full time musicians who managed to survive without a label contract, and in the late 70's too.
I mean, it's pretty obvious that said accountants with bandcamp pages aren't going to go anywhere with their music "careers". There are currently plenty of full time musicians trying to make it out there, if you genuinely think all there is left is part time musicians you're dead wrong.
>>
>>63559449
cds were so fucking expensive back then though. you really had to be a rich kid to buy much more than a cd ot two a month.
>>
>>63559456
Those were consciously avant garde acts. And lots of people in bands like that have never been full time musicians.

There are not plenty of ft musicians trying to make it anymore. It's not an economic reality. I guess whether that is good or bad is subjective.
>>
>>63559497
Yeah, but they meant much more to you.

That's my biggest complaint about the current system. Just the constant deluge of information and product. It renders everything disposable.
>>
>>63559502
people who aren't in avant-garde or art music don't deserve to be paid for their consumerist tripe music anyway
>>
>>63559698

nice meme
>>
File: baby boomers and millenials.png (38 KB, 798x406) Image search: [Google]
baby boomers and millenials.png
38 KB, 798x406
>>
>>63559093
reminder that unless you were born before 1981 you're still a fucking entitled sheathed millennial like the rest of us. You're just uppity about it.
>>
>>63560578
Reminder that you're a faggot. Born in 81 means Gen X. We've had Gen Y before even having your gay ass.

Fuck boomers though.
>>
>>63560616

gen X and gen Y are both millenials retard
>>
>>63560630
>Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation born after the Western Post–World War II baby boom. Most demographers and commentators use birth dates ranging from the early 1960s to the early 1980s.

>Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000.

kys
>>
>>63560685

>There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends

HMMMMMMM
>>
>>63560616
>>63560685

Gen X and Y are both millennials- like I said, you're just fucking uppity about it
>>
I don't mind downloading music. The difference between me and the majority of people, is that when i really enjoy an artist or an album, i will buy that cd. It can take 1, 2 or 3 years but i will buy it.
>>
>>63559093
How stupid are you? Everybody wants free stuff.
As a "millenial" myself, I'm super happy that I get to live in a world where I'm granted access to tons of free art. Sure it's not morally right, but who gives a shit? If your parents could've stolen their music with an evanescent chance of getting caught, they would've done it.
>>
>>63559204
where's this gif from?
>>
>>63561889
Looks like The Thick of It
>>
>>63559093
I like getting stuff for free.
>>
Man I'm just like is money even induce with our bodies?
>>
lmao people still care about money in 2016?
>>
>>63561543
what if you die before you buy it, retard
>>
>>63559229
HE'S A REBEL AND HE'LL NEVER EVER BE ANY GOOD
>>
>>63562010
HE'S A REBEL CAUSE HE NEVER EVER DOOOES WHAT HE SHOULD
>>
>>63562048
BUT JUST BECAUSE HE DOESN'T DO WHAT
>>
>>63562071
EVERYBODY ELLLLSE DOOOES
>>
File: 5.jpg (77 KB, 1000x792) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
77 KB, 1000x792
>>63562081
WELL, THATS NO REASON WHYYY I CAN'T GIVE HIM ALL MY LOOOVE
>>
>>63559093
But you're a millennial
>>
why did ye post this lol
>>
>>63559521
This I can agree on. We definitely live in a throwaway culture. People really aren't as attached to the music we listen to.
>>
>>63559093
it's more like twenty five bucks for a cd and ten bucks for an ep, shit's crazy yo. also physical media is dead, I think it would be interesting to see a comparison of physical sales vs. digital sales
>>
>>63562673

http://pitchfork.com/news/64345-vinyl-sales-made-more-money-than-free-streams-last-year/

spoiler: you're dead wrong
>>
>>63563421
spoiler: your gay
>>
reminder that if you're here and not a millennial you've seriously fucked up your life, old man
>>
File: The_Cost_Of_Frustration1.jpg (33 KB, 405x299) Image search: [Google]
The_Cost_Of_Frustration1.jpg
33 KB, 405x299
>>63559247
>you shouldn't have to pay for art anyways.
>>
>>63564433
>>63564433
>>63564433
>>63564433
>>
>>63559093
Why do millennials always complain about other millennials ?
>>
>>63559093
>10 dollars is too much for a cd
i'd be fine with new cds costing $10, but where i'm from they cost $16+

also retarded post btw
google what a millennial is fucknuts
>>
>>63560707
>>63560735
There's really no hope for either if you honestly
>>
>>63560735
No, they're not. One of the people you replied to provided evidence proving that. Gen X-ers and Millenials are from two distinct generations. That's why the former are called Gen X-ers. Because they're from Generation X, unlike Millenials, who are from the Millenial generation also known as Generation Y. And I'm a 20 year old Millenial myself so you can't say I'm being uppity about this.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.