[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else notice how Autechre and Squarpusher are the only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
File: 1447611244524.gif (26 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1447611244524.gif
26 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone else notice how Autechre and Squarpusher are the only big name IDM guys that are still doing innovative things?Everyone else is like retired and just tinkering around with analog fetishism.

So these are the new rankings basically

AE>Squarepusher>VSnares>>>Aphex>BoC
>>
check out pimmon
>>
Veneitian Snares new album is great too, but I can't help but think it would be a whole lot greater with better production. Yeah, those modular things sound warm, but they also can be a little scratchy and annoying sometimes. At the end of the day it's still just the stone age version of what AE is up to nowadays
>>
>>63539727
>AE>>>>>BoC

someone didn't like Tommorow's Harvest, did they?
>>
>Anything > VSnares

What the fuck are you on?
>>
>>63539821
>pimmon
I've never liked BoC desu. they are the most cheesey and boring stuff for stoners.
>>
>>63539846
I get if you wanna argue Squarepusher above him, but AE? come on man. they have one the IDM arms race by a country mile
>>
>>63539727
>squarepusher
>innovative
also BoC = Autechre > Aphex > Squarepusher = VSnares
>>
>>63539848
opinion discarded xD
>>
Can someone explain to me why boc is always grouped in with the rest of glitchy idm?
>>
>>63540109
I honestly don't know either. Autechre is so much more complex and nothing like BoC and
>>
>>63539902
they system Squarepusher built to use in real time is a lot more innovative than the anything BoC has ever done

>>63540109
cause they are sign to Warp.

They also fucking suck really.>>63540092
>>
>>63539727
Pushing things by making unlistenable crap. No thanks. I prefer my music to be melodic and enjoyable.

Early Autechre (up and incl Tri Repetae) >>>>>>>>>>>>> later Autechre.
>>
>>63540151
You might not like them, but they most definitely do not suck, and your opinion isn't some sort of objective truth...come on man, you should know this by now. I mean, you're about to graduate high school in a few months, it's time to grow up.
>>
>>63540131
The synthwork in Autechre's earlier stuff was somewhat similar to BoC and ae are who originally 'discovered' BoC and got them signed to SKAM
>>63540151
>he'll never know the comfiness of BoC
p sad
>>
>>63540201
you are calling me stupid for stating what is clearly an opinion while reacting to said opinion as if I presented some objective fact, and you think you are intelligent? Can you see how you are a moron?
>>
>>63540251
>>63540201
>>63540201
i could have phrased that better. what I'm trying to say is you are insulting me on grounds that only exist in your own idiotic and flawed interpretation of the conversation.
>>
>>63540229
yeah, the same synthwork that AE grew out of and later denounced as cheesy, except BoC never stopped doing the same mediocre shtick.
>>
>>63539727
>vsnares above anything
your opinion means nothing

also squares irrelevant today, his last good album was ultravisitor.

ae>boc=aphex>square
>>
>>63540181
tri is their worst one... what terrible taste...
>>
>>63540334
>denounced as cheesey
that's a misquote m8, they later clarified in their ama that they still liked incunabula (which is what they were referring to in the quote)
also amber is what BoC are most like and that's one of ae's best
>>
>>63540427
tri is one of their best.....what terrible taste....
>>
>>63540477
not that anon but it's in the bottom third of their discography
still great tho
>>
>>63539727
good taste especially considering those 3 r rlly much better then afx and boc which r shit except id put vs over squarepusher honestly since jenkinson isnt good nowadays

matmos r best in the idm game tho and superior 2 autechre btw
>>
>>63540380
Damogen Furies was his best in years though

to be clear I'm talking about the current day incarnation of these acts, im not judging their entire legacy, just where they are now.

>>63540442
still, they grew out of that stuff and that stuff is way easier to make and ultimately less interesting than what they do now. BoC never got past that, they just kept on doing what was a safe and easy choice. It reminds me of people like 311 or whatever that can make album after album of the same shit and it doesn't matter cause their fans are convinced they rock and all high anyway. I'm not saying BoC are terrible, they are just mediocre enough to not be worth listening to when you know about music that doesn't suck.
>>
>>63540540

>>63540540
>they grew out of that stuff and that stuff is way easier to make and ultimately less interesting than what they do now. BoC never got past that, they just kept on doing what was a safe and easy choice.
>what they do now

Autechre peaked on Confield though and stepped backwards because most of the plebeian fans and music community couldn't handle it

Boards of Canada never did anything innovative
>>
>>63540540
>Damogen Furies was his best in years though
that doesnt say much considering the shit he put out before

>I'm not saying BoC are terrible, they are just mediocre enough to not be worth listening to when you know about music that doesn't suck.

like what?
>>
>>63540540
>Damogen Furies was his best in years though
How? It was as close to EDM you could get with Squarepusher.

Also, haven't heard a lot of Ufabulum, but from the bits I've listened off that album, it sounds a lot like Damogen Furies. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
>>
>>63540562
Confield was comprised of MAX experiments that they dreamed unsuitable for a club setting. It was the sound of them learning to do what they now do with MAX. It sounded weird cause they weren't as good at the software back then, nowadays they can generate whole albums in real time with an ease they never could before.

>>63540586
I said I am judging the current day incarnations of these acts, not what they did before. I thought that was implicitly clear from my OP, and I clarified that further in the post you just quoted.

>>63540586
>like what?

>>63540599
The thing about Squarpusher is he's actually a musician in the traditional sense of the word. He doesn't just want to hear a bunch of arbitrary poly-rhythmic mechanical noises and a melody in back (like most of AE is, no saying that's bad). I can't articulate it that well but if you listen to his interviews you can get what I'm trying to say better. His music now sounds closer to EDM, because he wants to wake people up and is always trying to get people's attention in the music, so there's a clear melody and stuff right at the front and all these breaks and things to make your ears prick up and direct your attention, where as a lot of other electronic stuff is just about listening more passively and loops an things that gradually evolve inducing a kind of hypnosis. His stuff is the opposite of that, and that's why he doesn't fit in as much.

I haven't heard a lot of Ufabulum. I've mostly just been stoked on Damogen. Between that album, his recent interviews and the live broadcast show he did (especially that) he convinced me that he's doing more to push forward than a lot of his IDM peers.

His system is build like AE's to be used in realtime like an instrument, and while he doesn't do as much sound design as AE does exploring different stuff, the fact he can control his system so melodically and within more traditional rhythmic schemesisprettyimpressiveAEilikemorebutSPismocositentlymusicaltechnicaly
>>
>>63540844

>nowadays they can generate whole albums in real time with an ease they never could before.

Where are you getting this information from?
>>
>>63540943
not that dude but ae's decent live stuff are basically live albums and they've said something to that effect
>>
>>63540943
interviews, and seeing them live.

I saw them last November and the shit they did was even better than most of the new live albums they have released. They recently have been doing everything in MAX and have a system built that they use like that. Idk where it is but there's literally a quote where they say they can pretty much generate albums in real time now.
>>
Anyone notice how the people here and on WATMM think the same tired artists from 10-15 years ago still make innovative things, and can't name even 5 modern experimental electronic artists? Literally the electronic music equivalent of dadrock fans.
>>
>>63541227
Name something modern on the level of any of those guys.
>>
>>63541227
it's because there's very few artists as good as them and also the people on watmm specifically like the 'idm'/warp sound
>>63541297
not that guy but
Daniel Lopatin
Tim Hecker
Chris Clark
>>
>>63539727
RYM/Warp Core senpai
>>
>>63541297
Most guys on PAN Records.

Definitely no Arca or OPN, those guy are literal memetronica.
>>
>>63541314
lopatin and hecker i agree with, clark just mashes together all the key idem elements, nothing innovative in his music tb h
>>
>>63541332
>guy
*guys
>>
>>63541227
watmm is basically a boc/ae/aphex/sp fansite, no surprise here
>>
>>63541297
Anything from orange milk records
>>
>>63541227
>Anon
that's because what is hailed as 'experimental' nowadays is mostly just nostalgic bullshit
>>
I think Andy Stott will release something pretty groundbreaking soon, his releases are maybe just "good techno" but his live sets are quite pushing it from what I've seen.
>>
what are actually the most innovative/experimental electronic producers out there? not memeing, I genuinely want to check out good music. it could be from any year really
>>
File: man ray.jpg (52 KB, 501x650) Image search: [Google]
man ray.jpg
52 KB, 501x650
BoC may sound easy to pull off but that's because they choose to make it sound that way. Even if composition-wise they keep it simple (for IDM standards) their texture work is insane IMHO.

amon tobin is also top-tier
>>
>>63541867
>amon tobin is also top-tier
agreed
Also SND and Alva Noto but they are not exactly newcomers either.
>>
muslimgauze
>>
File: opigirl.jpg (1 MB, 1034x775) Image search: [Google]
opigirl.jpg
1 MB, 1034x775
>>63541742
Those most mentionned in the thread are all worth a listen. Boards of Canada is the most accessible but if you are genuinely interested in the genre that should not be a criteria.
>>
>>63541742
oneohtrix if u can stand the memes
arca, if he had a better filter
TCF
lotic (you said innovative)
amnesia scanner (again)
lee gamble in a sense

massively overrated:
amon tobin
BoC
squarepusher

not overrated:
autechre
bernard parmegiani
>>
>>63541998
forgot to add
Alva Noto
Mark Fell
>>
>>63541998
>>63542014
nice knowledge, man
>>
>>63541998
breddy gud, but BoC and Amon Tobin deserve their praise
>>
>>63541512
Faith in Strangers really foreshadows something phenomenal
>>
>>63541983
ive almost all of the aforementioned ones in the thread

>>63541998
>>63542014
a lot of these ive heard (i love opn meme or not), but some of these ive either been putting off or never heard of. thanks for the recs man
>>
>>63542014
Have you heard Lorenzo Senni?
>>
>>63542147
yeh i like what he's getting at but idea seems better than the execution, so far. i wouldnt be surprised if he does something great.

additions: Laurel Halo Quarantine is still miles ahead, although she's been playing it straighter since.
JLin's album was innovative as fuck, like it or not - although we're straying into dance music i suppose
>>
>>63542147
this, he's good
>>
What do you listen to if Amber is the only AE album you've liked?
>>
>>63542432
Keep going chronologically
>>
>>63542432
idk, check out Warp's Artificial Intelligence
>>
>>63541998
also Richard Devine
maybe not as good musically as, let's say, Autechre, but definitely very experimental
>>
>>63541297
>>63541742
>A lot off Subtext recordings stuff
>Tri Angle has had some cool stuff come through
>Nicolas Jaar's lablel roster Other People
>dominick fernow's various alia's
>>
I've never understanded why people think they have to dislike BoC because there is more experimental and adventurous electronic music out there.

Each of their four albums do sound different and have different themes, whilst still maintaining the main elements that make BoC who they are. They're not going to start making super-glitchy procedurally generated stuff in MAX/MSP and mental technical shit because it just would just be too far a departure from what BoC want to represent with their music. They're still the masters of evocative melody and intoxicating layering and production methods. It's not like they're releasing an album every year. Oversturation of BoC WOULD get very boring.

I guess their music either grabs you or it doesn't and either opinion is fine but to dismiss them due to their lack of technicality is to ignore their strengths. Personally I love to stick on my headphones and get lost in their sound. There's so much there to pick up on if you really pay attention.
>>
>>63542550
i like his sound design a lot but we're still talking music here, and where he falls down is composition, traditional or otherwise.
>>
>>63542283
>dark energy
>innovative as fuck
it was literally just instrumental hip hop with triplets, a decent fusion of some minor footwork elements but nothing else
>>
>>63542649
I get what you're saying, but if you were to assume BoC were still at their best and were putting out albums often I don't think they'd get boring. They're too compositionally talented to stop making beautiful music (or at the very least they were.)
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.