[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is rap right wing music? > individualistic, capitalistic,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1458623653608.gif (2 MB, 410x230) Image search: [Google]
1458623653608.gif
2 MB, 410x230
Is rap right wing music?
> individualistic, capitalistic, misogynistic, racist, into guns, promotes atomized, hierarchical understanding of society.
>>
>>63538439
>plebeians
>right wing
>>
>>63538439

Mayazaki never said that
>>
Capitalism and hierarchy are the only two right wing things you mentioned

But yeah a lot of it is, but not nearly all of it
>>
Kanye West is the only major right wing musician in the mainstream
>>
>>63538484
who is MAYAzaki ?
>>
>>63538439
It's a result of right wing, hierarchical, capitilist culture, not necessarily a promotion of it. The message is not that individualism, capitalism etc. is good, it just accepts those as realities of our current situation. It's like saying that a person is right wing simply because their actions take place within a capitalist or hierarchical context and they act in relation to that.
>>
>>63538596
Misogyny and racism may not be exclusively right wing be the viewpoint that society is individualistic and atomized is very right wing. "There's no such thing as society.... Just individuals..." as Thatcher and Regan espoused. Comes from differing understandings of human nature. Left wing politics tends to emphasise the social nature of humans. Right wing politics (either in the form of classical liberalism or conservatism) tends to highlight people as being individualistic and self orientated
>>
>>63538641
We'll it very least doesn't challenge the status quo..... In reality it positively reinforces it. I don't think I can view rap as passively going along the prevalent culture
>>
is there any non underground anti capitalist artists in hip hop right now?
>>
>>63538455
yes, and?
>>
>All I care about is money and the city that I'm from
>That's dumb, isn't that exactly like the tea party platform?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEB7qVcX48c
>>
>>63538688
I just don't think rappers are really engaging with it critically in either direction. Cultural context provides an emphasis on making money and having lots of casual sex with attractive women. Rappers promote that because they want to show how successful they are within this context, not because they believe this context is superior to other theoretical forms of organization. I have never seen a rapper make the argument that individualism is natural - they don't engage with it on any kind of political level.
>>
Hopefully by the time you turn 16 you'll realize how sickeningly shallow and outmoded your binary political distinction is.

Or maybe you'll just be a pleb all your life.
>>
>>63538775
Kendrick pretends to be
>>
>>63538775
M.I.A. if we're counting her as hip hop
>>
>>63539185
I don't think performing at the Super Bowl and being signed to Interscope really counts as underground (or anti-capitalist, for that matter)
>>
>>63539221
He said
>non underground
which really limits things. And yeah I'd agree that the superbowl thing was a mistake, and I think she realised that too the minute she stood on stage, so she literally just said 'fuck this' up there and nearly got sued to death by the NFL for it.

But in terms of her work, it's all firmly anti capitalist, anti imperialist.
>>
>>63539110
Apologist cop-out
>>
Right-wing: Kanye
Centrist: Drake
Left-wing: Kendrick

Not all rap is the same
>>
>>63539438
Oh, my bad. But, still, sticking your middle finger up at a markedly capitalist event where the publicity serves to directly make the NFL money and indirectly make money for that major label you happen to be signed to is Kanye-tier protest.
>>
>>63538439

>misogynistic, racist, into guns, promotes atomized, hierarchical understanding of society.

these are not excluvely extremist right wing you fucking political noob

extremist left wing is trash as extremist right wing like... salon, to pimp and shit
>>
>>63539575
>Kendrick Lamar
>DON'T DRINK GUYS! GO FOR JEBUSSS
>proceeds to make one of the biggest drinking anthems of 2012
>>
>>63539612
see>>63538659
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.